Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Of course a FG acolyte is going to say it was conspiracy theory. We and countless others know it is a fact and as I stated above why did they not have a referendum to let us decide who owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Used in an Irish politics context, I'd have assumed it meant one who 'pulls strokes'.

but I wouldn't have thought even Harris's critics would see him as that sort….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You really think, after everything the country went through in regard to the 8th Amendment that we should put shite like Irish Water in the Constitution.

The myth around privatisation was a stalking horse used by politicians to sway the public. It's a bit like the anti-vax stuff.

Sounds great and edgy but ultimately has no basis in truth and those saying otherwise are just engaging in the same.

Well it's on the Dail record from one of your own current TDs (Fergus O'Dowd, Fine Gael TD)

And?

Where was the "plan" and what did it entail?

You think after 10 years something would have been leaked by now…. no?

The truth is, there was no plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

"There are non-political forces in the Department at work" is pretty much the basis of a conspiracy theory…

It's the same line of argument as Liz Truss' Deep State obsession.

A legislative clause banning privatisation would be completely pointless, which is why it would have been removed. The process, if ever undertaken, would require govt support anyway of a sufficient level to just override the clause. Thankfully, we haven't gone down the utterly stupid rabbithole the UK has of "enshrining in law" hot topics for pointless populism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes yes. There was a documented plan with a detailed Gannt chart. You will find the plan in the files next to the plans for cronyism, corruption and waste. Don't be so naïve. There might be some details on the very dodgy Siteserv sale deal in the same filing cabinet.

Lets not forget

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-minutes-for-irish-water-meetings-attended-by-former-minister-hogan/31086769.html

No minutes for Irish Water meetings attended by former minister Hogan.

There are no minutes from a series of high-level Irish Water meetings held in 2012, including some attended by then environment minister Phil Hogan.

Mr Hogan met with Bord Gáis chairperson Rose Hynes in October and November that year but no notes were kept during the discussions.

In total, there are no minutes from more than half of all meetings between the Department of Environment and Bord Gáis in the six months after they set up Irish Water.

Overall, 23 meetings occurred between April and September 2012 but according to documents obtained by RTÉ's 'This Week' programme, there are only notes from 10.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

So you think the Fine Gael minister who was in charge of the legislation for Irish Water just made it up? He spoke at length about it in the Dail? Did anyone in FG ask him what was going on? Of course not. He is still a Fine Gael TD.

Fergus O'Dowd TD (Fine Gael minister who set up Irish Water). Speech in the Dail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm sure some people in the dept had ideas about it, though I don't remotely trust him not to have exaggerated the issue. Talking about secret non-political forces is a bit of a trope from governments these days. It's meaningless as they have no power over the issue.

Putting into legislation that it could never be privatised is just pointless showboating. It is bad legislative drafting.

Anyway, I genuinely don't want to rehash all this. If you want to believe there was some secret plot to privatise Irish Water go nuts.

The point is that "clamour for reform" is meaningless unless it is a well directed and identifiable direction that is wanted. There was a certain rump of opposition in the Dáil and a general disquiet and mistrust on the streets that was taken advantage of that would likely have been directed against whatever reform the government tried at the time. Were they perfect? obviously not, but there was simply no easy wins or obvious steps to take. People wanting "change" are the hardest to please, yet it remains the most common slogan as it simply means different things to different people. When it comes to implementation that is always when it gets hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭TokTik

Surely it’s someone who pulls strokes to get themselves where they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…asks the folks over the pond how Thames water is doing for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If there was some secret plan to privatise Irish Water then why have we never see the same happen for an existing directly comparable national utility? You know one that equally supplies a consumable resource to every household and business in the state?

Why were there no protests about the possibility of the ESB being privatised?

Yes yes. There was a documented plan with a detailed Gannt chart. You will find the plan in the files next to the plans for cronyism, corruption and waste. Don't be so naïve. There might be some details on the very dodgy Siteserv sale deal in the same filing cabinet.

So you literally just admitted that there was no plan to privatise Irish Water.

Glad we agree.

Conjecture and conspiracy aren't a plan by the way.

The whole thing was disgraceful scaremongering and moral panic. We see similar today about immigration and refugees.

Fear works, as you well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭corkie

'We are sorry': Simon Harris makes State apology to families of Stardust tragedy
    Forty-eight people were killed when the blaze ripped through the Dublin nightclub in 1981

• "Today, I answer that question - you did nothing wrong. The institutions of the state failed you. The institutions of the state let you down. These brave families should never had to walk alone."

Anyone see the irony in the fact that Simon wasn't even born then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Irish Water no longer exists. It was renamed to Uisce Eireann after the spilt from Ervia which took a significant amount of time and money

Why they would they sel it off now? it they wanted to make it private just sell it to Ervia?

If the government wanted to pull a fast one as claimed then it would be a lot easier do it when it was under Ervia

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You seem to forget the storm it created the first time around and rightly so.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the usual pro-FG supporters are still claiming nothing to see here all these years later.

But the reality is that in a rare demonstration of civic duties, the Irish electorate actually held them accountable on their arrogance and cronyism and the plan was abandoned before any more political damage was done.

It's more of that sort of engagement and follow through we need in this country - not the usual lazy/apathetic "be grand" attitudes that encourages this sort of political shenanigans (to deliberately understate it) in the first place.

Anyway... Back to the present day..

Heard Harris’ Stardust speech in the car earlier and I'll say one thing. Whoever wrote it at least understood the material and the need to convey regret, accountability and apology to the families. The person by person recall was a welcome reminder of the cost of that tragic night. It was important that people remembered the individuals behind the news reports and the inquiries.

Of course, my opinion is irrelevant. If it gives the families some sort of peace and closure then that's what matters, but may all those young victims RIP.

What are you ranting about now, I posted information on Uisce Eireann and that if they wanted to sell it off doing it while still under Ervia would have been a lot easier.

Majority of people have no idea about Irish Water moving from under Ervia etc

Trying to claim people are "pro-FG" is just the usual nonsense you see posted here daily in the desperate attempt for people to get a few likes from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And I'm no more fooled by this most recent rebrand then I was when they renamed the Traffic Corps to Roads Policing in the aftermath of the penalty points scandal.

But if you want to setup an Irish Water thread work away. I'm not fooled by the distraction here either.

I didn't start the Irish Water discussion in this thread so why would I start a thread? Maybe read the thread before posting

You are ranting and raving at the wrong person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

He's the head of a government that existed long before he was born. His comments are reflective of the state apologising for their mistreatment all those years ago.

I wonder if this is why Leo and Simon resigned so suddenly or are we only looking at the tip of an iceberg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Sadly the FG acolytes on here will dismiss that even though it's as you said. If Simon Harris came out and said this was supposed to happen, they would still deny it's true.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,760 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you wish to discuss Government policies, be that in connection with Irish Water or anything else, please use the Government thread

This one is about our new Taoiseach

I completely forgot Simon Harris ran in the 2014 European elections. He was always a very ambitious politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Simon should be apologising also to all patients plus their families ever at UHL for the disaster down there and the cervical cancer scandal patients, now Taoiseach and a former health minister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭tom23

more like a neck like a jockeys bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No but I heard MLMCD shouting from the sidelines with the aid of hindsight on everything.

The paper tigress will get her opportunity empty the box rooms soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wonder will this affect the Tiktokseach's use of the app with the U.S set to Ban it..?

https://www.thejournal.ie/do-you-use-tiktok-6362592-Apr2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That will be on the list in the future when the government, HSE and Civil Service run out of road blocks they can put in front of people. It is all well and good that the likes of Simon Harris on behalf of the government giving these apologies but what are they doing to change this happening time and time again. We see it even now, people raise an issue and at first they are ignored, then if they get a bit of traction we get the denials then if that doesn't work we get the attempted character assassination's to make it look like the person or persons highlighting the issues are just cranks or they are labeled as "permanently angry", "Far right" or other such labels to try and kill the issue they are highlighting or deflect from it. A perfect example is what happened to Maurice McCabe.

It is sickening what the state does to people or groups who look to highlight issues or seek justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭corkie

Advertisement