Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even that poll is testament to the poor standards of the Journal.

Do you use TikTok

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Err.. Sometimes still means Yes 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Simon's first job as Taoiseach should have been removing the incompetent Helen McEntee, by keeping her in her post, he showed he is not a strong Taoiseach. Helen in action or should that be inaction below and I would love to see some of the FFG acolytes on here try to defend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Do you understand what the word "acolytes" means? the way you used it suggests you don't

In terms of McEntee I didn't watch the entire committee so taking a 10 minute snippet is hardly a good representation of the entire event, good for McNamara in terms of getting votes

What is his policy on immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭corkie

@Clo-Clo Just posting this link for you, let us know if she fares better over the whole session?

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_justice/2024-04-23/

His segment starts at 2:30 ish.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

😂 How did you find those 10 minutes that you could stomach?

Headline news this morning was about the shocking state of our prisons (overcrowding, violence, drugs etc). All under McEntee and Harris watch.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I know what acolyte means and I don't see anyone else pull me up on my use of it.

You don't have to watch the entire committee to see how bad McEntee is. Michael McNamara who is a seasoned TD and lawyer had her in a few squeaky bum time moments. I only highlighted McNamara questioning McEntee as it shows how brilliant and forensic questioning shows us how much out of her depth she is. So, I have no idea how you can defend her.

No one can defend McEntee, a total incompetent idiot and Harris letting her remain in her position is down right foolish of him

It would seem you don't know what it means, another clanger on boards

I don't have to watch anything, I have no interest in watching it. I am pointing out that a snippet of a committee from another TD looking for votes is hardly an unbiased view.

Do you understand what been "biased" means?

You highlighted McNamara as some sort of evidence.

I am not defending her by the way, I am just pointing out the huge glaring issues in the "evidence" you have provided. Like most of the content on boards its all noise, when anyone points out it is noise people start name calling, you of course tried to start that in the initial post but just didn't understand the word you used. Total fail

When every single post you have about a government TD is a negative one, you do realise it doesn't take long for people to just turn off when seeing some people on these threads, a government TD could cure cancer and you would turn around and tell us they should of done it last month.

Has anyone actually watched the entire committee? or just taken this snippet?

I would expect if it was as bad as claimed then all the other TD's involved would have similar snippets to get votes.

We have an issue with immigration or the lack of control, don't think anyone is claiming we don't. Will it be any different if they swap McEntee out?

I personally don't know but certainly not making a judgement on a snippet from a TD. What is the TD in question policy on immigration for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

indeed.. we will have a lot of these 'shysters' coming out of the woodwork now doing their best to big themselves up.

Most of them never implemented anything political in their lives, just roaring and shouting from the sidelines.

One of the worst performances at an Oireachtas committee we have ever seen BB and you lads cannot even admit it was utterly inept. It's a major problem in Ireland and the minster hasn't a basic grasp of the numbers. Shysters indeed.

I think some people might get even more highly strung as we approach the elections. 😉

When these lads and lasses get into power and try to manage the country ,I’ll judge them.

Until then, they are mostly windbags,not all ,but a good proportion.

Managing and running the country for the good of the economy and the population is the acid test.

The current lot haven’t gotten everything right under severe areas of pressure.

Affordable housing is a huge problem plus the usual health issues.

Let’s see if anyone else will do better is my outlook

This long post does not reflect the performance of McEntee at the committee whatsoever. Would you prefer that she wasn't asked any factual questions?

You are complaining about issues that affect the country but have confirmed you vote for a TD who has no policies, no plan to fix any issues in Ireland, when asking you talked about "unseen work" but what is this work? has it any affect on the issues in Ireland?

If you think the answer is a TD who does an odd good speech and sticks it on YouTube, does this unseen work at a local level, great that is your choice but I don't see why you then spend the next 5 years complaining about the big issues in Ireland like health/immigration/housing etc. when you vote for someone who has no intention of doing anything about them

Seems a little pointless to me

Another excellent example if the video above, a hurler from the ditch but meet him on street tomorrow and ask him what his policy is on health/housing/immigration and you will get a blank stare.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

He had a great chance to start off on the right foot by sacking McEntee who is hopelessly out of her depth and he passed it up, literally the easiest open goal in history and he wore clown shoes when shooting.

I would love to see some of these independents even come up with some idea's or policies. They all seem to run on the basis that the government is doing a bad job but no answer on how they would even fix it.

People are paying these guys over 100k a year and think a good return is the odd YouTube video, f**k me….then they complaining about the government who are actually working for the 100k a year, even if they think they are doing a bad job at least they are trying. An Independent never will or never has any intention from what I can see in doing anything to help Ireland as acountry, an overpaid county councillor is what most of them seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

The above post was in response to a post about the Minister for Justice and doesn't mention anything under her brief.

If we're to talk about judging people in power, what are your views on the performance of the Minister for Justice during the term of this government?

More deflection. Dodging constantly. McEntee?

I'll be your huckleberry this once...

Who do you vote for?

I am in Galway West - who should I vote for?

FFG have broken health and housing and immigration controls...should I vote for them?

Why are you so obsessed with who I vote for? I find it amusing at this stage

Not sure why you need me to tell you who to vote for? you spend hours on here complaining about what the government are doing so vote for someone who at least has policies to change to what you think should happen. You seem to be an expert at telling everyone what is wrong so you should know how to fix it and see what party reflects that.

An independent will never change government policies and they never propose to.

Kiss a few babies, go to a few funerals, stick up a few YouTubes. To me seems a waste of money to pay them for that, you even complained yourself about the lack of a Greenway in your area. Yet the person you vote for has no mention of it apart from a few questions, is a few questions worth the has to be 500k+ been handed to her over the last 4-5 years?

At least a political party has some policies on what they plan to do, if you like them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So are you saying that elected opposition TD's should not be questioning or holding government ministers to account?

That's some ridiculous leap you took, fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No it's not that is what you are implying in your posts. There is no leap. You accuse McNamara of electioneering when he was hold McEntee to account, by that then I can assume that no one should question a minister as they are just Electioneering. Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Since this is thread about the Taoiseach, and not making reference to actual point of dispute (just in case our over zealots decide to chop this post) does anyone know if the Taoiseach has made any statement about the disgraceful scenes in a village in his constituency not ten miles from his own home?

Or perhaps we should only discuss the colour of his socks?

The post above is from the TD themselves pushing it on their own social media. Do you not think it is electioneering?

As I said what is his policy on immigration?

The whole point of a committee is to hold the Minister to account.

The assumption you make are nonsense and you know it. Jumping around now trying to back it up is fun to watch but it's nonsense 😂

Not sure why Helen McEntee is been discussed on a thread named Simon Harris 😂

Priceless. So I told you who I voted for in 2020 when asked but you are afraid to admit who you voted for? I mean it was 2020 so I am not sure what you are afraid of. You are a little obsessed with my previous vote despite refusing to answer any questions yourself. Do you see how that looks? For the record, I am more than happy with my voting choice.

I have never been on a Greenway but yet you think that's my number 1 concern with the state of the nation? Why don't you find the post where I said a local Greenway was my number 1 issue. I don't even cycle. I believe I made a Greenway point in relation to FFGG promises locally which they failed to keep. Remember I voted FG for 20 years right up until 2011. They have failed in all their promises (New Politics, Reform, Childrens Hospital, Trolley crisis etc etc).

Are you suggesting Independent candidates should not be allowed now? More deflection from Simon and McEntee...

You can turn off me but I still maintain McEntee is a disaster, she admitted anyone coming here with no documents or fake documents can still claim asylum instead of prosecution or deportation

You continue cheerleading on Harris and FFG who do no wrong for you

Mr McNamara said: “When the Irish people voted for greater integration of the European Union, they voted to opt out of justice/immigration measures for reasons as valid now as then. This government is intent on ceding these key areas of national sovereignty to Brussels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You can turn off me but I still maintain McEntee is a disaster, she admitted anyone coming here with no documents or fake documents can still claim asylum instead of prosecution or deportation

Whatever about anything else, I'm pretty sure this is just her stating the legal reality and it is the same across anywhere that adheres to the convention on refugees. While I don't for a second believe that all the people arriving in Ireland are legitimate, it is not exactly uncommon for legitimate asylum seekers/refugees to not have documentation. One of the first steps taken against those facing political persecution is to remove their access to legit documentation after all.

Again we have this putting words into peoples mouths syndrome here.

I haven’t seen any post from the boy C-C stating “FFG can do no wrong”

Holding the Govt to account is fine and dandy but stating “It’s not enough” or “Another missed opportunity “ doesn’t butter any parsnips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭corkie

Taoiseach condemns attacks on gardaí at Wicklow protest over IPA accommodation
    • Speaking in Wicklow, Mr Harris said: "You don't protest in this country with an axe. You don't engage in protest that involves fire and then it was burning thing that involves thuggery and that involves assaulting members of An Garda Síochána or their vehicles."
    • "That is socially unacceptable and reprehensible behaviour in this country," Mr Harris said.
    "Any garda activity in relation to evolving events involves a graduated policing response taking into account relevant legislation and public safety, with enforcement as a last resort."
    They said they are also aware of misinformation and disinformation being spread about the incident.

Surprised there wasn't more coverage from the main media about it?

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement