Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANDSCAN THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard the Radio Caroline North/Manx Radio AM broadcast being relayed on 105.2 FM in south Dublin a short while ago.

Edit: Later this afternoon, it was also being relayed on 1206 kh AM. A much better signal than 105.2 FM.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

…..or you could listen to it in good quality on the Manx Radio stream on TuneIn as opposed to a pirate with patchy reception?

I listened to it online. I just wanted to see if it was being noted in pirateland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

A pirate with patchy reception is authentic…. the way God intended. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I thought exactly the same thing on Thursday as I drove to work; go onto 5G and Apple Play it or flick over an AM it. Mind you, I couldn't get it on the radio so back to the online version, only to knock it off after 10 minutes because the music was profoundly awful 🙃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭TheBMG

105.2 in Dublin putting out Caroline related content. Think it’s from Manx Radio?

It is a relay of the Radio Caroline North broadcast from the Ross Revenge (former "pirate" ship) this weekend which is jointly being broadcast on 648kh AM (MW) around certain parts of the UK and Manx Radio AM at 1368kh (not FM, which has different programs). The relay could be from Manx Radio AM or online, e.g. Radio Caroline's website. Any time I heard the 105.2 FM it was patchy, which now makes me wonder was it indeed a relay of the 1368 kh broadcast, which can be picked up on car radios. 1206am in Dublin has also been relaying the Radio Caroline broadcast and the reception is much better, which makes me think it is coming via an online broadcast. When I have been listening to it online this weekend, I have been using Radio Garden's Manx Radio AM option! The reason for the relays is because it was Easter 60 years ago that Radio Caroline was launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

1206khz making the trip to the south west Wales coast last night — at times slightly better than 648khz relaying the Caroline North content. The "slightly better than 648khz" could be down to my better half's MW hating ipad charger .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Antenna

1206 was not active last weekend I think? (I couldn't get it on a couple of occasions I tried at night)

on FM, Raidió Rí-Rá  has returned again for another 5 days , its on this week Monday to Friday, on the usual multi-area temporary frequencies for the 4 main cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rock Solid

No activity on 1206Khz at the weekend. Weather conditions could have been a problem. I received Retro on 94.3Fm on Sunday. Also the 90s on 98.4Fm over the weekend.

• Advertisement

This evening, when I was driving, I tuned into Radio Daniella on 1206kh (or 249 metres) and it was relaying Gem Radio New Wave and then Gem Radio Gold. Much later on tonight I briefly dropped into the car for a message and I put it on again. This time there was live programming courtesy of Paul Murray, he of Energy Power AM. He gave a number for requests and identified Radio Daniella and its frequency of 1206, and its alternative as 249. Incidentally, it was also being relayed/streamed on 99.5 FM, although that was not mentioned. This used to be used for relays/streams of Energy Power AM. I wonder is Energy Power AM effectively gone, or at least put on ice for the moment.

was flicking onto AM radio in the car and 1440 was playing some late 70s new wave .. not local to where I am (Dublin). Anyone got any ideas who it could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Radio 208 from Denmark.

you’re dead right. I checked their playlist and it was them. Good coverage (I believe it’s only 300 watts) but it was quite clear in North Dublin.

I don't think it would have caused Energy to move. Their signal would be very strong around Dublin on any frequency. It has caused some strife in the DX community. Being a 10 kHz channel as well as 9 kHz, some are unhappy that it has caused interference with signals from America. Extract from a discussion below. On that topic, after 30 April 720 kHz may offer the possibility of trans Atlantic reception in Ireland. When Radio 4 from the North goes off air.

"Please switch off at night, Stig. 1440 is (was) a superb DX channel. Or better still, why not use a non-10kHz channel instead, so as not to block the DX, e.g. one of the 9 kHz channels that’s mid-way between the 10 kHz channels, then you could operate 24 hrs per day without upsetting the DXing community."

does he have a choice in choosing his own frequency? I’d presume Danish regulator would allocate that

He wanted to use 208 in the station name, so I expect he applied for 1440.

https://radio208.dk/#

Radio Kerry is understood to be off the air in south-west Kerry on 96.2 tonight .

Reception may alternatively be possible there with a weaker signal by retuning to 97.0

• Advertisement

It came back on air at approx 9:25 this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

Antenna system replacement. Site was running on reduced power with some interruptions for switchovers etc.

1206Am on today Sunday. Playing Nova and other 80s / 90s stations. Signal and audio fantastic in West Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

Live programme now, also on 99.5FM.

1206am was relaying the BBC coverage of the Eurovision Song Contest last night! I know it was the BBC as I could hear Graham Norton talking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Chill FM on 87.6 this morning (West Dublin).

• Advertisement

no way! Don’t think they’ve been active for a number of years. Nice to hear they’re back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was 'up in Dublin' yesterday afternoon/evening for a social event (doesn't happen often) and I noticed (logged.. to use the anorakial correct term) Radio Daniella back on 1206 Khz (248 meters in old money).

Good to hear it again with the usual classic AM audio quality.

PS. I had to scroll down a page and a half to find this thread again… a sad sign of the times.

caught 87.6 in the car yesterday in the D6W area. Cool laidback house stuff, no ID, but guessing it’s Chill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Bandscan

Picked up RetroNow on 107.1FM earlier on my travels in Dublin, Heard a station on 1386AM yesterday playing oldies on the M1 between Drogheda & Dundalk faded out after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

Daniella 1206 on again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

An excellent signal on the south west Wales coast — anorak level using a recently renovated National Panasonic RS-4150LJ Boombox and a bit of help from a Tecsun loop.

So nice to have a tuning knob with 2 pointers going back and fore !

Thanks for the great music selection today on 1206khz.

I have picked up RetroNow a few times this year on 107.1FM, usually around west Dublin. It comes from Co. Meath.

Anybody know what the above station on Medium Wave/AM (1386 khz) around Co. Louth was? The last time I heard that frequency being used was about 10 years ago when Dublin's MW pirate Energy Power AM was on it, before they reverted back to 1395 khz and then moved to 1440 khz. Are Energy Power AM gone? 1440 has been silent for most, if not all, of this year, and Paul Murray of Energy turned up a few times on that much mentioned station (on this page anyway!) Radio Daniella on 1206 khz.

Further to my query re 1386 khz, could it have been one of those weather related lifts when we pick up stations outside Ireland? I noticed that there are a few hospital stations on that frequency in Swansea and Nuneaton. It is hardly likely, though - is it? My money is on some pirate operation.

There is a station on 1197 kHz, fair signal in Dundalk. Not a trace on any of the Irish or UK SDR's. Was also on 1233 and 1476 at times this week. Carrying a loop of Kool 96.7, oldies American station of the past. Today 22 June it is relaying Caroline North / Manx Radio.

87.6 Chill FM, Very strong signal in Dublin, Was blank carrier earlier this morning but playing away there now. I’m guessing a low mountain site, lost it near Bray.

Retro on 99.5 today. Retronow on 107 1. Nothing on Am in Dublin this weekend. 90s on 98.4

Came across a station on 107.1 in Dublin yesterday called ‘CONNECT’ playing 80s music. Audio on the high side, strongest in west Dublin.

I came across this station yesterday as well. The reception was patchy around south Dublin and could not make out the ID. Is this the same Connect that was around on 93.2 a few years ago?

• Advertisement

I heard Connect on 107.1 this evening. The signal is stronger this time. As well as some '80s tunes, I heard a '60s song so it must be a more general oldies pirate. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the lesser known Lotus Eaters single You Don't Need Someone New, a song I really only became familiar with this year.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

Heard BFBS Gurkha Radio on 104.4 while driving around in Belfast tonight. Haven't a clue where its coming from (Not well versed in military matters but as far as I'm aware the Gurkha regiment doesn't have a presence here ?) maybe it's coming in via high pressure from some army base in Scotland ? Quite a good signal and audible over a wide area.

I looked up frequencyfinder and they’ve a low powered transmission from a barracks in greater Belfast.

also Capital (103.0), Heart (107.2) and Energy (98.6 from Isle of Man) all blasting into Dublin this evening. 107.2 was especially strong

pirate station (I’m guessing) on 105.7 just about audible at Milltown in Dublin. Playing a bunch of dance classics (currently enjoying Superstar by Novy vs Eniac)

Connect FM also audible on 107.1

Heard Connect on 107.1 this evening in Dublin, At the end of a few songs you get an ad for ,This is a free version of some playout system. RetroNow on 105.7 this evening.

was in Wicklow Town at the weekend and Radio57 was on-air (the name is a play on their 105.7 frequency)

Is that a Wicklow-based pirate? What kind of music were they playing? I have picked up a station recently on 105.7 around south Dublin and assumed it was RetroNow as someone else had mentioned them.

brief listen (I was on grandparent duties for a christening!) but all dance music. Seemed quite a loud, well modulated signal too. This was in Wicklow Town.

• Advertisement

Coast Gold FM from the Canaries is being relayed on 1494 kHz, very strong on the North West SDR.

Advertisement