Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Two different stations , unlike FM , changing AM frequency can be a complicated exercise.

There is a marked difference in audio quality - far less depth on the Energy TX , both stations use optimods afaik so this indicates a TX build reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There have been interesting things going on Medium Wave on 1206kh today and yesterday. This evening All80s was being relayed. Yesterday, initially when I tuned it, German online station 80s80s was being relayed. However, it was what I heard yesterday evening that I found the most interesting of all. There was a live broadcast with a number being given for requests. I recognised the deejay as Paul Murray of medium wave pirate Energy Power AM. He identified the station as Mix1206 AM. This is the same frequency that was identified by others recently as Radio Daniella. Has there been some arrangement between these two pirates, and/or has Energy effectively moved to this frequency and changed its name? I wonder were they the same people after all behind the operation in 1224 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Interesting - thanks .

Last night there was a Spanish sounding station on 1224khz -- I've not heard anything else on there .

Will keep an ear open on 1206khz

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Rock Solid

The signal on 1206Khz and audio sound is excellent in Dublin, similar to that of Energy Am last on 1440khz. I understand that in the recent storms the Am Antenna was damaged and alot of work was required. This could be the reason for the frequency change. As far as I know they are using the same Am optimod as Nova in the 80s

Radio Daniella on 1206khz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

It appears to have gone off the air a few minutes past 11pm, but returned, possibly weaker than it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Heard it on a (rather noisy) blank carrier earlier. Seemed to be a few hums and buzzes going on so perhaps they were doing some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

A carrier was on from early (10am) Saturday morning .

Energy 1440 optimod ;afaik they have the former Nova /Energy /Q102 (and Capital 104 ?) Optimod , but they use a newer optimod on air .

Energy have updated their Facebook page displaying their 1395 frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

1206Khz is coming in well to the northern outskirts of Newtownmountkennedy .... the town in Wicklow where the main street is shorter than the name. Really nice audio and very reasonable signal here. I was 'up in Dublin' earlier this morning and heard it powering in there - on blank carrier for some of the time and then with unannounced music.

I am listening in out the back garden (to reduce house generated QRM) on a recently restored Grundig 1400 Satellit, using the built in AM ferrite antenna (it is years since I did this stuff)

It was also great to hear Jack Russel, a long standing friend of the Irish pirate scene, still at it on Weekend Music Radio - 6290Khz SW.

Nice to see some activity on the various AM bands.

Not receiving anything on a portable in the garden -- yet .

But this is one of the best online SDRs I know about - check out your favourite frequencies.

http://malinheadkiwi.hopto.org:8073/

• Advertisement

"The Mix" on 1206 !

That's right. As I said last weekend, it was ID'd as that and included live programming from Paul Murray of Energy Power AM.

Maybe there should be band scans of Irish based short wave pirates on this thread. It is now clear that are there still quite a few operations on short wave.

As regards the others, here is what I picked up this weekend around Dublin (all oldies oriented).

MW:

1206kh - the aforementioned "The Mix"

FM:

93.3 (megahertz) - ABC 80s

94.3 - Retro FM

98.4 - The 90s Network

Heard them sign off for the weekend last night at approx. quarter past 11,

with this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWTU4vXTV0I (Gordon Giltrap - Heartsong)

The same tune was also being used to sign-off Energy 1440 on Sunday nights when 1440 was active a few months ago. (1440 apparently not active so far this year?)

1440 has continuous music and a good signal on this SDR at 17:30 UK time today.Could be "Radio 208" which I've heard before but I've not heard any id .

Yep -- 208 Radio !

http://malinheadkiwi.hopto.org:8073/

There have been recordings of 1980s pirates this weekend on 1206kh Medium Wave. The ones I heard identified were Bray's BLB and Dublin superpirates Sunshine 101 and Q102.

It's been on since Saturday playing various Dublin 80s Pirates.

Just thinking to myself ..... a whole weekend gone by and no update on the Bandscan thread.

How times have changed. There was a time when you could get a whole weekly programme feature out of the activity on the MW, SW and VHF bands.

It's a sign of the times... and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Unfortunately boards.ie has been in decline for a considerable time now and there’s very little activity on the airwaves nowadays. Everyone gone to on online Spotify etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I heard Antarctica on HF for the first time at the weekend. LRA 36 the station of the Argentinian Antarctic base operates on 15476 kHz USB, usually for a few hours a week. They only had a 300 watt transmitter before which I could never hear. But it is reported to be 10 kilowatt now, and was a fair signal from 2300 Saturday to 0100 Sunday.

Video of reception in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPpaE0Lm714

• Advertisement

I have recently returned to SW listening and scan about a bit, mainly at weekends. Good to hear Weekend Music Radio (1980's SW Pirate) back regularly - usually on 6290Khz. I came across Radio Romania with their English language service a few weekends back. I first heard their signature tones and then the programming, just like the old days..... except, the first announcement made was a station ident and then a list of the various other ways you could listen... online. Another sign of the times.

Thanks for the info on LRA 36... I will give that a go soon.

China is all over the shortwave broadcast bands. And Romania certainly has very strong signals in Ireland. Lots of hobby pirates, mostly between 6.2 and 6.4 MHz. The sunspot cycle is favouring higher frequencies. The 27 MHz CB band and 28 MHz (10 metres) amateur bands are full of signals during the day. I heard an odd callsign the other day on 10, V3O which turned out to be Belize, another new country for me.

https://www.qrz.com/db/V3O

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Quick Dublin pirate scan in Clonskeagh

1206am currently playing some funky 70s disco (god bless you Patrick Juvet!)

over to FM

93.3 is ABC

94.3 RetroFM

98.4 90s Network

99.5 is a relay of Radio Caroline from the UK

Post edited by TheBMG on

Later on this evening, 1206 is relaying Heartbeat FM from the '80s. Mike Doyle is the presenter on the relayed program.

Edit: later again, it was relaying a program from 80s superpirate Energy 103. This is a bit like what was going on at this frequency two weeks ago.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

Every Sunday morning at 11 am local time, the Irish Radio Transmitters Society transmit a bulletin of news for Irish radio amateurs. On 7123 kHz Lower Side Band (LSB). For a couple of hours before that, the South Dublin Radio Club use the frequency for a conversation between Irish radio amateurs. After the news, the frequency is used for amateurs to report on their reception of the news from around Ireland and beyond.

If someone has not got a suitable radio, they could tune in the signal on one of the Kiwi receivers in Ireland and some in Britain.

http://rx.linkfanel.net/snr.html

1206Khz Am was on Saturday afternoon relaying the Irish Rugby match, then some music and a black carrier for the rest of the night. On Sunday it was on playing music for most of the afternoon and evening. Didn't get anything on Fm over the weekend.

ABC 80s was on 93.3 FM and I am pretty sure The 90s Network was on 98.4 FM. Retro FM was briefly on 94.3 FM on Saturday. Temporary licensed The Sound of Ireland was using that frequency on Sunday in test mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cor

Heard 99.5FM last night playing their usual mix of music.

Raidio Ri-Ra now on air testing on FM tonight for temporary FM service run (for 4 cities and surrounds)

• Advertisement

99.5 on tonight playing dance music

Advertisement