Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options
1268269270271272274»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Please tell me it’s not that terrible pirate from Sandyford that was on and off 99.5 for years 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Rock Solid

No strong in Tallaght area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

has there been any further developments on this station?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Radio Daniella was on 1206 today with the usual cracking signal and playing, amongst other 1980's radio memories, one of my FRC programmes on Radio Annabel from forty years ago.

It was a very strange experience to be listening to myself from the distant past, back on medium wave, as I drove on the M50. I certainly wasn't expecting to hear that today and I never would have predicted that one of my programmes would be heard again on AM, forty years later.

I was at a family event for most of the day, so missed out on a chunk of the day, but I have just driven back to Wicklow listening to the Nova raid from 1983 and then in to a Jessie Brandon programme, also on Nova, from her brief appearance on the station after the closure of Laser 558 in 1985. Fantastic memories and great to hear again, in the original AM format.

In other AM news, I also scanned to 648Khz this evening and Caroline was coming in to Wicklow quite clearly. They must be back to the full 4kw output at Orford Ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I thanked Ger's post, but you cannot see who Thanks at the moment. I heard some of the recording on 1206 of the Radio Nova raid day with Declan Meehan presenting. That is interesting about Radio Caroline. I wonder was it assisted by a weather lift.

There wasn't much rich pickings to be had yesterday on the Bank Holiday (18th March) as far as I could make out, compared to previous Bank Holidays. I did pick up ABC 80s on 93.3 FM and The 90s Network on 98.4 FM. The former's RDS has a misplaced apostrophe! While I think of it, the latter was on Thursday evening which is relatively unusual these days.

Retro FM's recent move to 94.3 FM meant that they could not be on last weekend or this weekend due to the temporary license run of The Sound of Ireland.

Edit: Can see the Thanks again!

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Can't get a squeak of anything on 1206 khz .

Radio North on 846 khz comes through in the late afternoon as does Radio Caroline on 648 khz from about 5:30pm onwards. Excellent signal tonight South West Wales coast using XHDATA D-808 with own built in aerial.

Radio Daniella is not always on and, of late, it tends to be weekends only. As far as I am aware, Radio North tends to be on most of the time, which is a very rare phenomenon for pirates these days.

Here are the "free" stations I picked up at different stages over this weekend. Unless otherwise stated, they are variations on oldies oriented stations and are Dublin based.

FM (in megahertz):

91.6 - Phever - Dance station. I heard it on Friday. This is the first time that I heard this station this year. I had assumed that this frequency was not being used anymore. There was a presenter who could barely be heard over the music!

93.3 - ABC 80s

94.3 - Retro FM - back after the use of this frequency for the previous two weekends by temporary licensed The Sound of Ireland

98.4 - The 90s Network

99.5 - Unidentified playing automated music: soul, funk and disco.

107.1 - Unidentified playing dance music - picked this up briefly in Co. Meath today. Retro Now?

MW/AM:

1206kh - Radio Daniella - For the first time, I heard it identified a number of times by recorded voices - male voice and English sounding female voice. It was mentioned that it is also 249 metres (if people prefer using metres). Any idea who those voices belong to?

I picked up Retro FM tonight on 94.3 FM in south Dublin. This is unusual for a Wednesday evening. I wonder if it is testing for more broadcasting hours and days over the Easter weekend.

Radio Caroline on 648 kh am was being relayed this evening in Dublin on 1206 kh am, on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the launch of offshore pirate Radio Caroline.

• Advertisement

I heard the Radio Caroline North/Manx Radio AM broadcast being relayed on 105.2 FM in south Dublin a short while ago.

Edit: Later this afternoon, it was also being relayed on 1206 kh AM. A much better signal than 105.2 FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

…..or you could listen to it in good quality on the Manx Radio stream on TuneIn as opposed to a pirate with patchy reception?

I listened to it online. I just wanted to see if it was being noted in pirateland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

A pirate with patchy reception is authentic…. the way God intended. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I thought exactly the same thing on Thursday as I drove to work; go onto 5G and Apple Play it or flick over an AM it. Mind you, I couldn't get it on the radio so back to the online version, only to knock it off after 10 minutes because the music was profoundly awful 🙃

105.2 in Dublin putting out Caroline related content. Think it’s from Manx Radio?

It is a relay of the Radio Caroline North broadcast from the Ross Revenge (former "pirate" ship) this weekend which is jointly being broadcast on 648kh AM (MW) around certain parts of the UK and Manx Radio AM at 1368kh (not FM, which has different programs). The relay could be from Manx Radio AM or online, e.g. Radio Caroline's website. Any time I heard the 105.2 FM it was patchy, which now makes me wonder was it indeed a relay of the 1368 kh broadcast, which can be picked up on car radios. 1206am in Dublin has also been relaying the Radio Caroline broadcast and the reception is much better, which makes me think it is coming via an online broadcast. When I have been listening to it online this weekend, I have been using Radio Garden's Manx Radio AM option! The reason for the relays is because it was Easter 60 years ago that Radio Caroline was launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

1206khz making the trip to the south west Wales coast last night — at times slightly better than 648khz relaying the Caroline North content. The "slightly better than 648khz" could be down to my better half's MW hating ipad charger .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

1206 was not active last weekend I think? (I couldn't get it on a couple of occasions I tried at night)

on FM, Raidió Rí-Rá  has returned again for another 5 days , its on this week Monday to Friday, on the usual multi-area temporary frequencies for the 4 main cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Rock Solid

No activity on 1206Khz at the weekend. Weather conditions could have been a problem. I received Retro on 94.3Fm on Sunday. Also the 90s on 98.4Fm over the weekend.

• Advertisement

This evening, when I was driving, I tuned into Radio Daniella on 1206kh (or 249 metres) and it was relaying Gem Radio New Wave and then Gem Radio Gold. Much later on tonight I briefly dropped into the car for a message and I put it on again. This time there was live programming courtesy of Paul Murray, he of Energy Power AM. He gave a number for requests and identified Radio Daniella and its frequency of 1206, and its alternative as 249. Incidentally, it was also being relayed/streamed on 99.5 FM, although that was not mentioned. This used to be used for relays/streams of Energy Power AM. I wonder is Energy Power AM effectively gone, or at least put on ice for the moment.

was flicking onto AM radio in the car and 1440 was playing some late 70s new wave .. not local to where I am (Dublin). Anyone got any ideas who it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Radio 208 from Denmark.

you’re dead right. I checked their playlist and it was them. Good coverage (I believe it’s only 300 watts) but it was quite clear in North Dublin.

I don't think it would have caused Energy to move. Their signal would be very strong around Dublin on any frequency. It has caused some strife in the DX community. Being a 10 kHz channel as well as 9 kHz, some are unhappy that it has caused interference with signals from America. Extract from a discussion below. On that topic, after 30 April 720 kHz may offer the possibility of trans Atlantic reception in Ireland. When Radio 4 from the North goes off air.

"Please switch off at night, Stig. 1440 is (was) a superb DX channel. Or better still, why not use a non-10kHz channel instead, so as not to block the DX, e.g. one of the 9 kHz channels that’s mid-way between the 10 kHz channels, then you could operate 24 hrs per day without upsetting the DXing community."

does he have a choice in choosing his own frequency? I’d presume Danish regulator would allocate that

He wanted to use 208 in the station name, so I expect he applied for 1440.

https://radio208.dk/#

Radio Kerry is understood to be off the air in south-west Kerry on 96.2 tonight .

Reception may alternatively be possible there with a weaker signal by retuning to 97.0

• Advertisement

It came back on air at approx 9:25 this morning

Advertisement