Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran has come out of the shadows and attacked Israel directly. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Huh? Jewish state?

Israel's population is only 73% Jewish. Having a problem with the Israeli state, based on their actions, is also having a problem with the 21% Arabs (mostly Muslim) and 6% Christian and others who also live there.

Antisemitism on the other hand is having a problem with the 8M or so Jews worldwide, just because of their religion.

The two are not interchangeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,184 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The Israeli government shouting "antisemitism" at every turn, is wrong.

Having problems with the Israeli state is just that - having problems with the Israeli state.

Terms like 'antisemitic card' are objectionable. Only someone with antisemitic leanings would use it. It's like saying, "I'm not prejudiced, I have some black friends." Likewise, "well overplayed" has an implication that's antisemitic, too.

As is trying to use 'Zionist' as a pejorative. It's like using "Catholic" as a pejorative. Zionism is a fundamental tenet of Judaism, they're intertwined. But, it's stylish these days to say, "anyone that supports the Israeli government is a Zionist and Zionism bad."

Trying to shout down all uses of antisemitism as invalid is… antisemitic. There are plenty of examples of it, even on this small, mostly Irish web site. It's a thing. And as is widely reported, there is a rise in antisemitic incidents worldwide.

edit: typo

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If antisemitism is over used then Islamophobia is certainly overused as you can’t point out the link between the religion and terror attacks as it pretty much the only religion with this problem.

Post edited by Potatoeman on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was sent a video of a religious Jewish boy weightlifting on Instagram that was full of anti semitic comments- some were from Irish people too. I am not a defender of Israel as should be apparent by now, but that stuff was hard to read. I know there are some posters that try to equate any criticism of Israel as anti semitic to deflect criticism of Israeli Government policies, but at the same time there is a lot of anti semitism about if that video is anything to go by.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's something very odd going on with the drone attack on Iran. It might not have been Israel at all from reading this report from RTE -

https://www.rte.ie/news/middle-east/2024/0420/1444642-middle-east/

Iran's foreign minister has said the Iranian government is investigating an overnight attack yesterday on Iran, adding that so far a link to Israel had not been proven as he downplayed the strike.

Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told NBC News that the drones took off from inside Iran and flew for a few hundred metres before being downed.

"They're ... more like toys that our children play with, not drones," Mr Amirabdollahian said.

• Advertisement

I had the same reaction when I heard of a rabbi, who doesn't think the state of Israel should exist, was living in Tel Aviv.

So it could have been mossad operatives inside Iran. Iran is desperate to move on. It wouldn't surprise me if the the Americans and Iran are downplaying what happened in order to facilitate this. It would be interesting to hear what is being said in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Definitely something not right about it at all tbh. The media played it like a major attack for hrs after the initial report. Who fed them that info?

And then we had Ben Gvir more or less calling it a powder-puff. I'd say the US knows all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Israel is a made up settler colony which is a canker sore in the Middle East. Does anyone ever wonder how a small nation of less than 7 million can afford nuclear weapons? All the other nations with nuclear arms are G10 countries with huge economies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israel still keeping quiet about the attacks on Iran.

All roads lead to Rome.

Jeez that's the sort of article I'd expect to see in the Jerusalem Post not Haaretz. So Bibi poll numbers are going back up because he listened to the Americans. It could also be that he held off on a major strike to try and get US approval for going into Rafah.

If you identify murderers as murderers in here you are automatically antisemitic.

Funny, I don't recall allegations of antisemitism here towards those who point out Israel's committing a genocide.

Allegations of antisemitism for antisemitic statements ("Jews run the media/Jews run Wall Street/Congressmen have Israeli passports/…") sure, they're deserved.

"As for most Irish people not knowing Jews, I work with a secular Jew who is appalled with what's happening in Gazza."

Rightly so. Who was it claimed Irish people not knowing Jews again?

Each of those companies are run by a BOT that makes its decisions. The BOT are responsible to stockholders, who are the company's owners.

Are the BOTs also, run by Jewish people? Are the employees/brokers/etc. disproportionately Jewish people? Seems like your example, Goldman Sachs, has a very nicely varied BOT: https://www.goldmansachs.com/about-us/people-and-leadership/leadership/board-of-directors/

FWIW, Goldman Sachs started in 1869. I don't think there are any original founders left. Goldman Sachs hired Jewish people then because they were excluded from other firms like JP Morgan.

I'd like @gym_imposter to answer my questions. Surely it can summarize its thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

You want proof that a hugely disproportionate number of Jews work in the entertainment industry, journalism and finance ?

You want acknowledgement of stuff that the dogs in the street know to be true , classed as bigotry.

It's absurd and as such the anti semetism label is laughable, pointing out that Jews are hugely involved in finance, media and entertainment is no different to highlighting that African Americans are hugely prevalent in NBA

So, you're saying that Jewish people are 'disproportionately' involved in finance, entertainment, etc. Define disproportionately - what's the Jewish population of the US, and how many are involved in the industries you mention?

What percentage of the employees in these industries are Christian? Atheist? Muslim?

Because a CEO, or a dozen CEO's, with Jewish surnames really means nothing - maybe Jewish people succeed in these fields because of their own efforts, but these companies/industries have hundreds of thousands of employees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And then they think it can only be anti-Semitism why they are criticised so much

"Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, who also serves as a minister in the Defense Ministry, is pushing to begin the process for legalizing 68 illegal outposts in the West Bank in what would be one of the most dramatic expansions for the settlement movement in decades, Channel 12 News reports.

In February 2023, the government approved the legalization of nine illegal outposts, which eventually became 10, and also made arrangements that Smotrich, head of the staunchly pro-settlement Religious Zionism party, said at the time would “set in motion a broad process which will prepare the continuation of the legalization procedures in relation to the rest of the young settlements.”"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/government-said-readying-to-legalize-dozens-of-illegal-outposts-in-west-bank/

• Advertisement

All roads lead to Rome.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie threadbanned

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of off topic posts removed. Pleased stick to discussing the situation between Iran and Israel, and not the influence of Jews across the world

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I tell you whats sinister, starting vague conspiratorial statements with 'Jews have...' as if they're all a singular entity.

The Jewish community then , I have nothing against individual Jews or individual people of any faith , I've had Israeli guests in our home , they worked in IT in Dublin

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-used-radar-evading-missile-in-strike-on-iranian-s-300-near-natanz-report/

I remember hearing for years how formidable the Russian s-300 and 400 air defense system was. I think the war in Ukraine and this strike shows Russian military equipment is inferior to western military kit. Exports of Russian military equipment must have taken a big hit in the last couple of years. Also if this report is true then it's no wonder the Iranians are keen to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Why? Why not the sooner the beards are overthrown in Iran the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Some reports now saying that the strike on the consulate killed the entire IRGC command (the guys responsible for attacks on Israel from Syria/Lebanon including Mohammad Reza Zahedi and Mohammad Hadi Rahimi). Apparently they thought the consulate was safe and the last place the Israeli's would bomb. There's also a hint that Syria or some insiders there might not be 100% onside with Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I can’t imagine that everyone being happy with Iran using them as canon fodder while avoiding doing it from their own territory. That goes for other proxies they’ve been using, it’s only a matter of time before this turns on them and these proxies realise they are being used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement