Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iran has come out of the shadows and attacked Israel directly. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭brickster69

Iran sent a small number of newer missiles aimed at two airbases which house Israel's F35's. Those 2 airbases are probably two of the most well defended areas on the planet, all of them hit the bases and none were shot down despite the fact that Israel were given 3 days notice that a strike will happen.

Do you understand what that means ?

All roads lead to Rome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It also gave Israel live experience at dealing with the absolute latest equipment Iran can offer as well as costing more in terms of per unit cost than necessary. Some of the cruise missiles were revealed only a year ago. It cost more to make the point that it needed to in order to make that point.

But, yes, if it’s makes it look like they were intent on causing damage (I’m not going to say “major”, but enough to notice) then it also makes it look like a failed attempt. The damage was negligible. In terms of sending a message, the Israeli response was far more efficient and arguably successful

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was done for a domestic audience and they probably bought the spin, but I agree anyone looking from the outside should know Israel was the clear winner in this confrontation. The Iranian Government will know it too. This is why they played down the attack despite the radar for the Russian defense system at the base being damaged in the attack. It was a warning from Israel of what they are capable of doing to Irans most prized assets

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zerosquared

A clear warning should Israel attack Iran again.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ah missed this.

The inference was that the US supports everything it's US supplied allies do militarily. Supply doesn't always mean automatic involvement or support (as mentioned US supplied nuclear weapons tech doesn't mean Israel can nuke whomever and the US supports it, likewise all military activities with allies). The US very openly said "yeah nope" to that Israeli strike on Iran, pretty obvious as they aren't keen on escalation. Now if it was a Trump admin, then maybe it could have been very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭engineerws

I wonder is it because I was friends with an Iranian whose wife and himself were both elegant and sophisticated hosts that I cannot understand how anyone could support the child murderers of Israel over Iran.

I knew Israeli's too and three were nice but none of those had served on the frontline when I knew them. I think the apartheid requirement they instituted has driven them barmy.

I've no major problem with Iran, womens rights probably need to be improved but supporting the child murdering genocidal state of Israel over Iran.... that seems crazy and yet we have people here supporting Israel. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Definitely a misunderstood regime.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iran-sentences-rapper-toomaj-salehi-death-over-2022-23-unrest-lawyer-tells-paper-2024-04-24/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭engineerws

Fair point, seems like a shockingly cruel and arbitrary judgement, but still hardly a reason to hate them given Saudi does similar but is a great ally of the USA and certainly not a reason to prefer the child murderers in Israel.

How anyone could prefer the Israeli child murderers is beyond me. Maybe they are people working in Israel companies or otherwise compromised. It makes no sense to me and even more crazy to see the UK/ EU backing Israel. It feels like the colonists and imperialists have to support horror to somehow assert what they see as their superiority.

No definitely shouldn't hate them for that, definitely no colonialism or imperialism in their history either.

• Advertisement

Iran condemns US attempts to trample on free speech and right to protest.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Same country which is executing it's youth that protested for change.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

#refugeesfordalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed if this was Iran students would be taken to Evin prison and tortured (and some later hung) and those women would be attacked for not wearing headscarfs by the morality police.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sounds like you know literally nothing about Iran. Have a read of this:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2024/country-chapters/iran

Executions

Iran remains one of the world’s top practitioners of the death penalty, applying it to individuals convicted of crimes committed as children and under vague national security charges; occasionally, it is also used for non-violent offenses. Iranian law deems actions like “insulting the prophet,” “apostasy,” same-sex relations, adultery, alcohol consumption, and certain non-violent drug-related offenses to be punishable by death.

Based on a report from the Iran Human Rights Organization, more than 700 executions took place in Iran during the period between January and November 2023. This marks a substantial increase compared to the same period in 2022. Among those executed, 238 were charged with “intentional murder,” and 390 with “drug-related offenses.”  Furthermore, 10 individuals received death sentences for political or security-related charges or blasphemy, and 1 person was sentenced to death on espionage charges.

Judicial authorities drastically increased the use of vaguely defined national security charges that could carry the death penalty against protestors, including for allegedly injuring others and destroying public property. Following grossly unfair trials where many of defendants did not have access to the lawyer of their choice, authorities issued 25 death sentences in connection to the protests. As of September 20, authorities executed 7 people, and 11 cases were overturned by the supreme court.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"Women's rights probably need to be improved"????

Understatement of the year.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2024/03/iran-institutional-discrimination-against-women-and-girls-enabled-human#:~:text=GENEVA%20(8%20March%202024)%20%E2%80%93,Finding%20Mission%20on%20the%20Islamic

"The report to the Human Rights Council said violations and crimes under international law committed in the context of the “Woman, Life, Freedom” protests that began on 16 September 2022 include extra-judicial and unlawful killings and murder, unnecessary and disproportionate use of force, arbitrary deprivation of liberty, torture, rape, enforced disappearances, and gender persecution."

Oh, and I am sure there is no problem being LGBTQ+ in Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Their house thier rules

America still executes prisoners and Assange is facing the death penalty there If he gets extradited, have you ever posted anything against the death penalty in the US?

Master of the Universe

I have actually and I am massively against it.

Not sure what that has to do with human rights abuses in Iran? Are you pro them executing people for blasphemy? How about homosexuality?

No, i don't agree with them carrying out the death penalty for those crimes (its a crime in their country wether we agree with that or not) but I also don't agree with the death penalty for any crime.

Master of the Universe

Glad to hear it :)

The problem with thinking like 'their house, their rules' is that it's absolves human rights abuses within a country.

This is wrong. You should be able to (and people should actively) criticise any country committing human rights abuses. Be it Israel or Iran. (or in this case, both!)

Iran shouldn't get a free pass on such criticisms because they happen to be anti Israel. I'm getting a bit of 'Iran, a great bunch of lads' from some people in this thread (particularly that person I responded to)

If 'their house, their rules' is okay enough for Iran to be allowed to continue what they do without criticism, then it was okay enough for Apartheid South Africa and any other despot nation doing horrible things to their own civilians in their 'house' too. Which is obviously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And if it is their house, their rules, who decides the extent of their house?

Is Gaza part of Israel or Ukraine part of Greater Russia, in which case, their house, their rules, no problem?

It seems to me that there are really some blind spots when it comes to the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zerosquared

Remind us how rapists and spies are dealt with in let’s say Iran

Sur that's fine, Iran isn't that bad of a place. Unless you live there of course, which is something the mealy mouthed will never do.

Heavily armed American "police" attacking kids today for holding peaceful protests against Israel.

Clamping down on peaceful protest, beating/arresting students, threats of having them expelled for simply protesting how are they any better than Iran?

I'm not condoning Irans actions (would love to see the regime removed and the people freed from that life) but its hypocritical for western countries to condemn them for their actions and then to clamp down on peaceful protest.

They're killed

Remind me again what penalty Julian Assange faces if extradited to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

There is nothing positive to be said about the Iranian leadership. I regard them as an enemy of our way of life. I have no sympathy when they get a slap or two.

Master of the Universe

Why do you keep assuming I'm pro the US way of doing things? That's the second time now you've replied to me and made a comment about things happening in the US as if I support it. I never gave any indication that I did.

People have to stop turning this into a black and white thing, it's ridiculous.

'He doesn't support the Iranian regime, therefore he must be pro the US'.

It is possible to support neither and think they're all insane.

Advertisement