Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Make sure you go in with the snagger and point out everything you're not happy with. Look for things like a single coat of paint, any cracks or damage to woodwork, weird gaps in doors and cabinets.

Make sure to get up into the attic as well and look at the insulation. If you have a drone, send it up and look for cracked or loose tiles.

Write down EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭McBain11

Thanks Padre,

I will do all of the above. Much appreciated 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And bring some blue painter's tape to draw attention to the snags.

This comes from my experience of having a snagging engineer who was absolutely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woah

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

has anyone else noticed a lot of properties coming back on the market relatively soon after going sale agreed? I’ve seen 3 or 4 in my search area in the last couple of weeks. Any thoughts on why that might be and is it usual for that many to reappear? it’s not something I’ve noticed happening until recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Symptom of bidding wars, people get caught up in bidding silly money then realise they can't fix the property up at all if they plough every penny into buying it and or they can't actually get finance when push comes to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I noticed that too lately. Not sure why. I did spotted couple who failed sale agreed twice and came back third time. Perhaps as null zero said, people loose themselves in the bidding wars.

Living the life

this was my thinking too. I think it’s benefiting buyers as vendors often need to close quicker second time around so aren’t holding out for long protracted bidding wars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I think the opposite…it's benefitting sellers getting an extra 50-100k second time round in a rising market. It was crazy out there, it's now gone full gaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Bought and sold last year in Cork. Went sale agreed in June about 8% over asking. Market was bit subdued as all the talk was on interest rate rises. We put our own on market in September and 25% over asking. That sale price was 70% above what we paid 7yrs ago plus allowing for any material expenditure on it. Very hot market. Delighted to be out of it. It was honestly all consuming for few years and was totally depressed at times. I think the supply improvement will help

• Advertisement

At times I see houses that fell through coming back with 50 to 80k more on their price tag. Absolutely mental

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭markw7

I think when they come back to the market with an increased price, that was the amount it went sale agreed on and the sellers now won't accept less.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's a relief to get past the whole process. It's not something you'd want to do regularly.

Hopefully supply increases and it gets easier for people, I wouldn't wish our process on anyone.

There needs to be limits put on people mopping up properties until the crisis eases or ends. Someone I know is getting outbidded routinely by Chinese bidders, I saw a lot of them during my time in the viewings process and it's a recognised issue that they're warping the market currently. Until as many people are housed as possible hoovering up properties as investments should be shelved for everyone across the board. This is a crisis after all, I don't want this to be a problem my kids end up facing when they grow up.

Some agents are completely tools, no brain at all.

Example below. An estate where houses are sold very recently below 400k, houses poorly built, that don't retain heat, the materials that are made of are substandard, they crack. Basically they should be demolished as they are passed by sell by date. Yet this agent is putting this house on the market for over half of million.

The house market is completely bonkers.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-bayside-square-east-baldoyle-dublin-13/4756212

Living the life

yeah very true. I’ve seen it go both ways in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

Absolutely overpriced. Hope no buyers are naive enough to go for it

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lony_101

Hi all, how long does an estate agent normally wait for a chain to be completed before they move onto the next interested buyer (with no chain)

My partner and I are trying to buy a new build. We're AIP and have all our ducks in a row too.

The estate agent informed us that there was someone ahead of us and they were waiting for them to sell their previous house first.

They were given until the end of this month but, it looks like they've been given more time.

Is there any hope in waiting to hear back from them?

Interesting question, I don't know the answer.

I think people who are in a chain usually bid more to compensate for it. Anything can go wrong with the chain.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Went Sale Agreed on a house we're buying at the end of Feb. The whole process since has been relatively straight forward until now: Mortgage Protection.

Applied with Zurich and while I was accepted for cover, my wife was not. She has a congenital issue with her liver but is not considered medically high-risk. A letter from her consultant confirms as much; stated that it's benign, no symptoms in over two years, nothing to worry about etc. etc. It still wasn't enough.

So pivoted to Laya. Same story, denied.

Royal London have now come back to say they also won't cover.

We're going to go to the lender with these denials and request a deferral, but I'm starting to worry. I believe Pulse/OneLife is an option but I've no idea yet of what the premiums will be (I've heard they are quite high, as well as admin fees amounting to a few hundred). On top of this, the seller is getting impatient. The initial process to get to the Denied stage took 5 weeks due to delays in our GPs getting info to the providers. I doubt they'll wait another 5 before we even sign the contracts.

But anyway, just wondering if anyone on here has gone through similar, and how'd ye make it through? Oh, and we're being evicted in October as the landlord is selling 🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Have you tried broker? I went via broker for this product and they knew which crowds were most ok with various conditions. We applied to the provider who we know took the particular issue we had the least harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

I have indeed and I do get the impression he's trying everything he can for us. Even looked at bringing in a second broker in tandem but they didn't want to be stepping on anyone's toes. Just got to let him cook, I guess. But I'm open to options that we can pursue ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭D n G

We had to go through the hoops when buying our home. I was being quoted through the roof for mortgage protection whilst they wouldn't even quote for my wife. We had to get 3 denials and write to the bank requesting an exemption. Each bank have a certain amount they will give a year and it's on a case by case basis. The criteria for the exemptions are given by the Central bank. We also had to show that we would be able to pay the mortgage if one of us died.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭FledNanders

Can you get cover which excludes the particular existing condition? Some additional risk for you if something does go wrong for your partner with that, but at least it would get the sale over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Hontou

I'm seeing this alot in Galway lately especially on second hand homes in poor condition. I agree with the poster above that said people don't realise that they need to hold money back to get these houses habitable. They get quotes from builders that are unaffordable so put the house back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sean2023

Hi, 2 years ago myself and my partner had bought a property using the Local Authority Home loan. 
    my question is can we sell the property? Is there any penalties? Has anyone tried selling after buying using Local Authority Home Loan from the county council. 
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I've gone sale agreed on a house and conveyancing is ongoing. A letter of offer has come through (loan pack) to the solicitor… does this mean that the bank is happy to proceed… or will further info be required before drawdown? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

myhome snafu for everyone yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Advertisement