Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

Find another EA, they've earmarked your home for a client on their books so even if you put it on the open market the EA already has a preferred buyer and could ignore any other bids. They are working for themselves, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

doubt u can see current offers ? Only properties listed

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭havana

it shows asking price and current highest offer of the properties listed on that site by agents - seems to be more and more using the platform

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Good idea BUT Daft shows 248 (houses only) for sale in Co. Meath, offr.io only lists 11 (of which 5 show bids). Would love to see this go further, but won't hold my breath

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

It only shows latest offer for properties you can bid on?? Not all of them show the latest offer but few do

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Funds issued to the solicitor recently. The whole thing took 6 months. I have multiple sclerosis so the mortgage protection was a bit of a nightmare to sort out. That took 2 months of backwards and forwards between insurance companies and my GP and neurologist. Also had to get a brain and spine MRI done. One insurance company got back to me after the 2 months and said they'd cover me but not for the full term of the mortgage. Very frustrating after all the hoop jumping. Eventually got sorted with another insurer.

Snagging mostly done. That has been going on for about 6 weeks now. Our initial 10 page snag list was reduced to 5 pages and then 3 pages. The developers solicitor was writing to us every few days saying snagging was done when it wasn't. The big ticket item on the snag list was done in the last few days. Mostly small stuff left that I doubt will be done at this stage. Will probably do the leftovers ourselves just to be done with it.

Lots of bang head off the wall moments throughout the whole experience. I'm glad it's about done.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

If there’s nothing showing there’s no offers in is my understanding. I’ve bid on a couple of properties on this platform and it was the only way to place on offer on that particular propert

well i was enabled by the estate agent..you cant just start putting offers on any properties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

How have people been finding the buying process recently?

I'm looking for min 2 bed house/apartment in Dublin and there seems to be no slowdown in prices increasing. I thought I was being clever expanding my search to Dublin 12, 15, and 24 but even there the prices are often going sale agreed at 50k over asking.

My mate is in a bidding war and current bid is 25k above askinv…tomorrow is final day for both parties to give one final offer

it’s tough going! I’ve been trying to widen my search areas too (have primarily been looking at D12) but there’s not much in the other areas that might work for me. It’s pretty disheartening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We only made progress when we started going straight in with bid over 50k. Bidding up slowly was just driving everyone mad so we just decided to go in at the inevitable 50k over. Seems it worked and frightened off other bidders and excited the vendor enough to accept right away.

I also noticed that people didnt seem to want to buy 1 bed apartments and i thought they were underpriced myself. We were about to go for a 1 bed which would have seen us save €500 pm compared to renting, when our bid on a house near my home place got accepted. But I do think people are starting to settle for one beds now even just to get out of the rent trap til the market straightens out.

I've started looking at 1-beds too. If you are looking at the price differential between 1-beds and 2-beds within the same development, is there any rule of thumb that can be used on what might indicate good/bad value? This would be second-hand so maybe there are too many variables to give any sort of reliable guide.

No idea but we did notice that good large 1 beds over 50sqm could be bought for around 25k that were about 75k less than 2 beds in the same place. The councils were buying all the 2 beds. Now im told they are going to start buying the 1 beds too, if they havent already started, so i expect the 1 bed prices will move up now too.

In the end we found a perfect small house near where i grew up totally by accident so we ended up not buying one of the apartments we were interested in. Definitely we worked out that the value was in the one beds now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭combat14

asking prices down the country now seem to be 20% higher than recorded sale prices 9 months ago in my area - surely that can't be sustainable

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Council are already buying one-beds, I sold one in 2022 and the council came and offered to buy it at 20k over asking within 48 hours of the ad going online. EA advised to hold off as we hadn’t even had viewings yet and in the end we sold it to a different buyer for 30k over asking. In our case, the council didn’t make a counter offer, but I have heard from friends who were bidding on larger properties that they ended up losing bidding wars to the council or a housing agency.

I think this is my queue to stop looking in Dublin 12 - 80k over asking - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-75-mourne-road-drimnagh-drimnagh-dublin-12/5629823

Imagine the parties you could have in the garden of that house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

Bear in mind the asking price often means feck all, many estate agents purposely list houses below their market value in order to trigger bidding wars.

The only real way to gauge value is to compare to other houses recently sold in the area on the Property Price Register and to other similar listings on Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just spotted this chat on the home page and remember posting in here almost 3 years ago…

To all of you in the middle of this 'pain in the A' of a process… stick with it. We're 2.5 years in our forever home that (a) we never thought we'd get (as the asking price was at the top end of the budget), (b) we'd lost out on 2 properties previously (that were listed far less) and (c) had the mortgage offer fall off a cliff, after a seemingly small issue was "made" HUGE on the house we bought and (d) the buyers of my old house nearly pulled out due to the sale being poorly managed by the buyers solicitor.

In the end - I - had to tie up the loose ends at the bank and with the seller's solicitor!

They don't want to do the leg work - so YOU have to (sometimes).

In the end - I guess like having a baby (not that I'd know), you forget all the pain!!!

Hang in there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woah

Drimnagh is awful for asking price vs selling price. Everything is minimum 70K over asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I remember Drimnagh as a place where shooting takes place in broad daylight. Strange to think people pay so much for a run down ugly house. Just shows how distorted people's concept of a real home is, that they will be paying for the next 25 years at least.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Tbf, that's what changes an area that has had issues. Good home owners who understand civic responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

Hi everyone,

We are about to close on a new build. I'm not sure how to proceed regards snagging etc.

When I google it, most advice says just snagging for small cosmetic stuff is required. Or do most people who purchase a new build get a structural engineer review done to make sure all the major stuff is up to scratch?

Any help kindly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Most I've seen is cosmetic, it's assumed the house is constructed to the build report the builder provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dkRulez

Get a professional snagger to do atleast 2 rounds of snags, someone who has good reputation and has done similar house types as yours within the same estate. Issues like floor level, door alignments, paint finish, locks/switches not working. There would be good bit of issues which will come out which other wise we would miss out even the cosmetic stuff. Can recommend one if based in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

All good so,I have a professional snagger organised. Onwards and upwards :-)

Advertisement