Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank/First Active Offset mortgages, here's the answer to previous thread!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

You do realise you cannot offset anything and you will be paying the ECB rate + what ever you got on your morgage

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aoraki

Interesting, I was told something similar, albeit under a different context. I thought the whole point of this exercise was to allow Ulster Bank to exit the market. Although if they are sticking around they won’t have the offsetting feature to deal with.

Regarding the point that fliball123 made, you can still use the pay and redraw feature which admittedly is not as good as the offsetting feature but can still be used to reduce your interest exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Ulster Bank are leaving the market.

The Offset mortgage is just taking time to go.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Absolutely, how orderly it will be remains to be seen.

Will be interesting alright to see how long it takes them and if there will be any further obstacles in their way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭paul321123

Just wondering has anyone cleared their mortgage after receiving the payment and if so have you received your deeds of your house yet

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kenif

No but they say 5-6 weeks by registered post after redemption. The rate at which they are doing everything else I'd be adding a bit onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

i owe 128000 and have 129000 in the current account. What do i have to do to minimise my interest. Withdraw current account money (129000) and let them close it? Then put back in less than what i owe, thus paying minimal interest? So if i owed 125000, put 123000 in against it and pay interest on 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭paul321123

I redeemed mine in January and was told 4weeks which I taught was a bit too quick so did not expect it, I rang them up a couple of weeks back and was then told 3months would be the earliest from the time it was redeemed so it is coming up to that soon, I just taught if anyone else had similar news regarding this,

No you have to reduce your Mortgage. And get them to reduce your repayments over the term. It means paying down(giving them the money in the current account) but you can the redraw it if you need it again.

But only way to reduce interest after 23rd of May is to reduce your mortgage.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

If I am reading this correctly this is a much much better scenario for everyone than the portfolio being sold to companies like Pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shanoh

Revenue got back to me to say no decision yet about taxation on the goodwill payment and apologies for delay

Thanks for sharing Shanoh. I would of thought it was either taxable or not. Not sure why there is a "decision" to make. I hope they decide favourably. Will make the payment fairly meaningless as compensation if taxed.

That’s somewhat concerning, they’ve had 6 months to look at this. The cynic in me thinks that Ulster Bank will have finalised their exit and then the Revenue will announce that the payment is taxable. By that stage too late for punters to raise a fuss because Ulster Bank will be gone baby gone.

How terribly convenient that would be for everyone involved (apart from the customers that is). I hope I’m wrong.

In fairness to Revenue, they where blindsided by this. No consultation or even notification from UB. They have asked punters to get information from UB about the payment and how it works. UB should at very least had all that ready to go to Revenue as soon as announcement was made.

I have used the payment to redeem so will struggle with any tax bill. But if I waited any longer I'd of been paying interest. Took the gamble. But with tax there are often ways to offset or reduce that bill. Would of been good to know the full ramifications before offsetting ended and interest had to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

If you think Ulster will be gone this year hold on to you pants. I would think as this has only just been announced and they still have other mortgages on the books they will be here well in to 2025

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

@kenif Do we know that for certain? UB must have informed, and possibly worked with the likes of the Central Bank and the banking authorities when they were coming up with this solution. There’s no way those bodies found out about Ulster Banks solution on the same day that us customers did.

Would revenue not have also gotten wind of this?

Banking bodies I'd believe where. But Irish times article on 10th December quote Revenue as saying they where left completely in the dark on these payments.

@rameire I think you’re right, it’s not going to happen overnight and even if everything goes smoothly for them (which I’m not sure is guaranteed) it’s still going to take time.

Plus in the Irish times article there was this;

“Asked how many loans remain on Ulster Bank’s books, a spokeswoman said the lender could not comment on future sales. However, she said: “Following conclusion of all agreed loan sales there may be a minimal number of loans that may remain on our balance sheet.”

So what happens to those loans? Do UB need to stick around and manage those?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

MOD: We do not speculate on the possible actions of financial institutions, their reputations et al. The last thread had to be closed becasue it descended down the same rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cooker1

I’m anxious as to how the Pay and re Draw will work. No reply from Ulster contact now my Offest has gone to Dilosk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

I doubt your offset is gone anywhere yet, things don't happen that fast in bankland! You have to ring them, well at the moment anyway, and transfer whatever sum you want to offset into the mortgage. Family member did it the other day, transferred in I think around 30k from the facility and confirmed that would be available again to redraw next year when they needed some.

Now maybe if you don't contact them they will just close the offset and send you the money if you haven't transferred it out already yourself.

Not sure how you are trying to contact them. But from my experience the online stuff goes absolutely nowhere. Applied for redemption figure early Feb. Rang them end of March and they hadn't even got the request.

Ring 0818 210 260. Even then it depends on who you get so don't wait. If it hasn't happened when they say it will, ring again, and again. The mortgage is not meant to go for 2 months at least so it is still up to Ulster Bank to do this for you.

So I have more in my Offset account than I owe on my mortgage - 100k. My house has defective concrete blocks, is demolished and is worth site value/zero until it’s rebuilt. Ulster wont make a deal, so is this the time to ring Dilosk and check they are aware they are being sold a hole in the ground and see what they will take?

Sorry to hear that, a lot of stress and hassle. Are you part of the redress scheme? I can't see how that would stop a bank from letting you pay down the mortgage. Would they not jump at that.

The concern is the redraw. You have to have valid home insurance. Could that be an issue? Will the rebuild be completed before you intend to redraw?

Yes, part of scheme but the Redress is a long way short of 💯 so I’ll need to use a lot of what’s Offset. I’d asked for a figure from Ulster to get rid of me, nothing forthcoming. Want to reduce exposure to interest with Pay/Redraw.
    I didn't know about the home insurance element. I’m worn out with the stress of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

Is the house insurance requirement new? I was never asked for that in the past when drawing down some of the facility, life insurance yes but not house insurance. Mind you I had it obviously but they didn't ask anything about it.

Good on ye phormium. I could of mixed them two up. Sorry for adding to your stress Cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Deals are usually provided in situations where the borrower really has no hope of repaying the loan. Usually you'll be deep in arrears at that stage. Then they'd ask you to provide details of your financial position. It'll be clear very early on that you have the means to pay off your debt. In short, why wouldn't they want your debt?

Given the above, the fact the collateral has depreciated really won't come in to it. The only way to make that a factor would be a strategic default. Very correctly you've not suggested doing this. You'd end up still owing the money, you'd have wrecked your credit history and would not being able to borrow in Ireland for at least five years.

Advertisement