Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank/First Active Offset mortgages, here's the answer to previous thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shanoh

Has anyone got a letter yet? I suggest we dump some data anonymously on here when we do, so we get a sense of how fair their calculations/offers are. I'm sure people will challenge it and I expect they will have to delay their plans a bit longer than what they said in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Letters not gone out yet, yes I'd imagine there will be people who challenge it but it's hard to argue with it when they are allowing a 'pay and redraw' facility which is practically the same thing just without the functionality of a current account. How many people are still even using the current account for day to day transactions? I have opened a new current account elsewhere ages ago (but still keep the facility ac obviously for offsetting) and you can't even put in UB bank details for direct debits with many companies, I was trying to set up some recently and neither company would accept.

PTSB used to have something similar in a mortgage years ago so might be easy enough for them to take them over.

My mortgage is very small at this stage and I could have cleared it but decided maybe I'll just hold on to see what happens 😁 UB owe me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

I still have a tracker mortgage with the Ulsterbank, I'm presuming an off set mortgage is a different thing?

Yes, an offset mortgage is also a tracker mortgage but not every tracker mortgage is an offset.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

Got an Offer equivalent to 23% of my outstanding balance. But to be clear I had routinely 30 times my monthly mortgage payment in the Offset account. So I suspect i may be on the higher side.

"To calculate your goodwill payment, we have considered how you used your Offest Arrangement in the past and what you may have saved in the future mortgage interest ................. We acknowledge that future offestting balance could increase and ............. To take account of this, we have doubled the payment to you...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

I got the letter. They have said they will offer after 10 January 2024 based on what i have in the offset account This needs to be run by a tax person i imagine

they are closing the offset account but i believe the option to put money against the outstanding balance. Eg reduce your mortgage total, is an option. The amount above is lovely and all but how can they be allowed change terms and conditions when they havent a clue what theyre talking about when you call then

Post edited by McSween on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

McSween awaiting a letter any chance you can give a bit more detail even PM me

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

and what happens if the mortgage holder refuses to allow the bank cancel the mortgage? surely there is a contract in place that they must honour (or at least sell to another bank)?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kenif

Reading around the edges of the various newspaper articles it seems this has all been done with the central banks knowledge maybe even input. I'd like to hear if they have anything to say on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Advance Apologies for potentially off topic post, but does anyone have any guesses what the UB are going to do with the remaining tracker mortgages? Thanks

• Advertisement

I havent fully read it yet. The amount if highlighted on the first page. It is invdivual to the account hikder depending on what was in the offset account in the last two years

What term have you left McSween, if I may ask. Looking at the working examples they gave in their press release, it seems they are applying about a 4% interest for the calculations.

The life of the mortgage was 2005-2045. They said on statements it was due to end on 2043 but it would have finished way before that as we only really found out what it all meant at early 2021, then Started putting money into offset

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brenlixnaw

ive received my letter today and it says they offer me 8,763 euro to be paid on 10 th January ,i haven't long left on the tracker so must say im happy to be able to get that but nervous of what they'll have up their sleeve , so hoping to see some good ideas on this forum

Post edited by brenlixnaw on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dfair3108

We have been offered the basic €5k, with approx. 20yrs remaining on our mortgage. I called and was told any future inheritance / bonus etc. needs to be deposited in the account prior to the closure date of the 23/05/2024 in order for these monies to be taken into account.

Anyone rejecting/disputing the offer?

I reckon there will be a fair few disputing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Happy with it got the minimum amount house needs redcorating but ******* that I am booking a holiday.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dave19692534

I’m not happy with this situation as to what way they calculated it . Around 13 years left and only offered €5600

Dave how much did you OWE and how much had you on your offset account?

€144000 around 10 years left but. The plan was for me to put my my investment fund in on my 55 birthday one year away. We always over paid and in the last 3 years we put a extra 300€ off the interest

• Advertisement

I would be on to them asap and just tell them you are not signing anything as this is what is not been brought to the fore is that people can and could match the mortgage amount at any point in the future meaning on the excess above the ECB would have to be paid for the remainder of the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

Had u anything in the offset account or you didn't use it at all?

No we overpaing by around 700€. A month as the interest on the savings was only 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Don't think there is anything to sighn this is a done deal

I dont think so I agreed this mortgage with First Active and Ulster Bank agreed to honor the terms when they bought them, they cant just force a resolution on people they only have to look at their history of doing this with the tracker mortgage scandals and I reckon they will be afraid of their lives of another fine. They need to pony up for the remainder of the term of the difference between the amount on top of the ECB that the persons tracker rate is and the differential of this and a rate of well over 4% (maybe what the current EBC rate is as Irish banks have been slow to up the rates but you can be sure in the next 12/24 they will be upping their mortgage rates) and they also need to do it with the future in mind as at any stage any one of the 4500 customers could come into money and offset the whole amount. So it should not be based on the past but on what savings would be given this scenario.

Totally agree that was our plan to right of the remaining mortgage. Will phone tomorrow and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 preda

We have just over 4 years left. We have completely offset for the past few years and pay zero interest, saving 225 per month currently and we planned to continue this offsetting for the remaining mortgage term. They have only offered us 7300! This is thousands below what we would have saved and doesn't allow a cent for any interest increase either. They haven't shown how they came upon this figure. We should have been shown clearly their calculations. And UB should have explained how to get this all reassessed. The government/ombudsman should be involved and helping us.

Check the FAO n press release Dave. There is something in there about redundancy payments. And I can't find it now but think I had seen something about having money in your offset by a certain date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnreddington

Aged in late sixties with life savings in the facility account..who is going to offer us a mortgage..how will we pay the monthly instalments..offered 10 k two and a half years mortgage payments..a tragedy...considering goings to law

• Advertisement

But you don't need to take out a new mortgage anywhere, your mortgage will continue on with whoever they sell them to.

The repayments are another story, if you can't afford them that's a different situation, are you affording them now? In arrears? Many years left on mortgage? Repayments will rise alright with offsetting gone so I assume this is going to be your difficulty, I'm sure some will challenge it and they are probably expecting that, fire off a stern letter first and see if that brings an improved offer

Advertisement