Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just worked out that it would be the equivalent of driving from Dublin to Wexford, then to Killarney via Cork, then on to Sligo via Limerick and Galway, on to Derry, then Belfast and back to Dublin again. Roughly 16 hours without stops or traffic issues. Start at 6am, finish at 10pm. Bladder full, stomach empty. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's highly optimistic but a 150kwh battery should be getting you 750km real world with a consumption of 20kwh/100km

You'd wonder if the extra weight of that battery would have a greater impact on range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

no one is going to do that, but pick any one of intercity trips return without stopping is what most would like to do, I am going to cork tomorrow, 350 km or so, I need to buy nurafen a few other things today, I will fill up and I will not give a 2nd thought of where I am going till I get close to Cork, then enter the post code into the phone and arrive, then another one or 2 stops, find some place nice to eat and drive home, no preconditioning, no abrp, no motorway food, no looking for chargers, just a stress free drive.

Where are you starting from? Donegal? Dundalk? Dundalk is 340km and about three and a half hours. Donegal is a longer drive time wise. It's your choice if you want to do that without a break, but it's advisable to take a 15 minute break every two hours of driving. And even if you do it non-stop, there are plenty of EVs that will do that trip without stopping for a charge, using ABRP or motorway food. And preconditioning is automatic once you select a charger as your destination in most modern EVs. No need for your phone either (also unsafe to be using while driving).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Jesus you're really on one today😡. Time for the ignore button me thinks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

thats mad because my sister bought her first EV last Wednesday (a 2022 Kona), and on Saturday they drove up from Waterford to Dublin in it (Artane so all the way round the top of the M50), stayed overnight, went for a drive out to Howth for a drive on Sunday morning, then drove back to Waterford on Sunday evening… They granny charged for a few hours in my mothers house for peace of mind, but didn't need to and made it back home with range (plus what they added on the granny charger to spare).

I did bring them up to the local AC charger to get an experience of public charging for the 1st time (they added 1%).

So an intercity trip, there and back on a single charge…

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Different battery chemistry should have greater energy density than the old type of battery. Electrons don't weigh anything

The semi-solid battery cells come from local startup Beijing WeLion New Energy Technology, which started delivering 360 Wh/kg Li-ion battery cells to Nio on June 30, 2023.

Based on that, I calculated that the battery pack would weigh around 420kg without the casing. Looking at current battery technology that is indeed quite light per kWh. Maybe around the weight of a current tech 90kWh one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The idea is that it won't weigh any more than what the current ones do.

As far as I know though, nio are not letting customers buy these cars with the big semi solid battery, lease only. That makes me wonder how confident they are in the durability of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I see this figure regularly. 1200kms range from diesel. Is this absolute max figure or is it widely seen in real world?

Which diesels actually give 1200kms? I had a 65 litre tank in my last, and only, diesel (A6) which is close enough to as big a tank as it gets in anything that's not a massive SUV and I never got over 1000kms

7 litres per 100kms average over its life which gives range of about 900 or thereabouts

Smaller more efficient cars have smaller tanks do they give 1200kms due to being more fuel efficient?

I'd have to get just over 5 litres per 100kms to get 1200kms from that tank.. 55 to 60mpg.

Smaller cars would get that but wouldn't have the tank size.

Maybe I'm wrong but are most diesels.not somewhere in the 800/900 kind of range. Not that it makes a difference it's still loads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Why won't you accept that this is what the poster will do and more to the point wants to do without trying to undemine his position. This is why so many discussions end up in unnecessary arguments.

I regularly do a 350km non stop trip to West Cork and up to now always used a diesel (with the exception of a couple of disastrous attempts in a Leaf🤣). I never stop unless the kids want a toilet stop which is very much a rarity.

Next time though, as long as I can leave one at home🤞, I'll be travelling in a Model 3 which will also make it without a stop. Personally hate stopping during a journey but would do it as necessary to charge an EV. So no problem accepting that others may think the same way.

Fair. But I wasn't trying to undermine their position. It just seemed that they didn't know that a trip of that distance is quite feasible in modern BEVs without a stop. As you rightly point out in your own case.

I would be guilty of preferring to stay on the road without a stop too. But I try and fight that because tiredness is an issue and stops are advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

First "green" concrete truck in Dublin (note concrete itself is a big emitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

65 litres seems a small enough tank for a car the size of an A6. My Megane III 1.5 DCi is two segments smaller and has a 60 litre tank so it would only have to do 5.0 litres per 100 km to get 1200 km and it is more than capable of that. IIRC there were times where I was getting under 4.0 litres/100 on a mix of N and R roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

B6 & B7 passats had a 70l tank and were more than capable of 1200km on a tank. That's the first one off the top of my head but I'm sure there were many more. Actually the e60 probably had similar now that I think of it.

Also, given that a petrol Dacia Sandero with a 50 litre tank did 925 kms when tested by Autocar, it's very believable that a diesel with a bigger tank would do 1200 km.

The Sandero in question was ran dry of petrol - but as it was a dual fuel with a 40 litre LPG tank, it then switched to LPG and they reckon it could have done around 1600 km in total

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/around-world-dacia-sandero

they've actually bought 2 of them, and they'll be based in Ringsend…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That's it so, I didn't think they had a tank that size. I thought they'd be 50 max. A6 may have been 70 now that I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

At the TRA2024 conference today and some impressive stats on some of the Dublin Bus fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,565 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Plugin diesel hybrid seems the most useless, followed closely by the hydrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,003 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Doing 1600km in a manual Dacia Sandero without stopping. My idea of hell on earth 😂

My mother in law had one, worst car I've ever driven. Even worse than a Skoda Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,779 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I could do that in my very inefficient ev, so what? no having to go out to fill up either just a stress free day before the trip.

Says the chap who extolls the virtues of "cars" like degraded Fluence ZEs and Leafs with an 80 km range. Less usable than a 1950s Morris Minor. By any objective assessment the current Sandero is a very good car for the money. If Sanderos and Octavias are the worst cars you've driven, you've lived a sheltered life!

PS what is it with with EV fans wanting to stop all the time on long journeys? Prostate gland swollen to the size of a tennis ball? Shur, might as well charge while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭josip

In my case I suspect the coffee I sip to keep myself alert doesn't help, so I'd need to have a break after 4 hours, even if the car could still go further. That doesn't tend to happen with the EV which will rarely get beyond 350km before we need to recharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,003 ✭✭✭✭unkel

LOL. A degraded Leaf or Fluence can still do more range than at least 30-40% of cars in Ireland ever do. You do realise the average car in Ireland does 35km average per day? And many, many times more comfortably so than a crappy manual econobox.

OK sure, you need to do 1600 km several times a week without stopping. You and 2 other people in Ireland. Nobody is suggesting the three of you (0.0000001% of the population - although I call BS, nobody has ever done that in this country) buy any degraded EV, or any EV for that matter, even the longest range one. And nobody is holding a gun to your head. You can buy whatever you like

One wonders why people like you are you defensive. What are you afraid of? Progress / change? I guess it is only natural, most humans would like to go back to how things were in the past, most people don't like change.

Old Chinese curse: "may you live in interesting times". Well indeed, we live in very interesting times 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,779 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you have a strange infatuation with the dacia sandero.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

Revolutionary is the NIOs 150kw solid state battery. Part of the reason is that China auto will bankrupt legacy auto.

China auto will also be first to market with a full solid state battery vehicle.

• Advertisement

I thought it was Toyota that were gonna bankrupt everyone else with their own solid state battery which has been 'coming soon' for the last 15 years..

Advertisement