Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom customer service manuals warned staff not to obey law, court told

Options
  • 15-04-2024 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭

Unbelievable the lows a company will stoop to. Amoral behaviour.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2024/04/15/eircom-customer-service-manuals-warned-staff-not-to-obey-law-court-told/

…… A training manual provided to eir employees by parent company Eircom
    warned them that they would face disciplinary proceedings if they obeyed
    Irish laws covering customer complaints.

The same manual also outlined a series of “trigger words” that would allow
    people calling the company with complaints to have their concerns dealt
    with in an expeditious fashion. If those words were not used the
    concerns of customers frequently went nowhere…..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ciferos

Incidentally I had a complaint with them today, I know how their process is meant to work, I told them I would escalate this issue further, the person on the phone gave me 4 digit complaint number, I knew this is incorrect, but she got all narky and hung up, when questioned about this 4 digit "complaint number", so yep, definitely believe and have experienced this.

They give you the illusion of complaining, if eir cant fix or defuse it, they hang up and hope you will go away. (IF they even ring back!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Grim.

Have always found them a PITA to deal with but with most companies like them if you mention comreg or similar there tends to be some movement the initial story proves that.

The fine is a disgrace, but in fairness the bad PR will hopefully cost them serious coin.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Will it though? People have been complaining about the service from Eir for years and yet they are still operating. I can't understand how they are and why people go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What were the trigger words??

Eir customer service has always been utterly shocking. A lot of older people are too afraid to swap providers.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,505 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Triggers were 'official complaint' 'reference number for ComReg' and suchlike .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They are listed in the article

"Another section of the manual outlined the “trigger words” callers could
    use. They included: “I want to log a formal/official complaint; I want a
    case reference number; I want a reference for ComReg; ComReg advised me
    to get a reference” and “I have a ComReg reference”. Callers using
    these phrases were treated as making formal complaints and handled
    relatively quickly."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, it certainly made me think about moving. I've had intermittent problems with them but nothing that required contacting them for support (needed to reset router, that kind of thing). But i work from home usually so don't like the idea of that level of poor support when needed. I was with Virgin for years, when they were NTL and Chorus and I think there was some other name too. But they just got very expensive. Hear terrible things about Sky broadband and their support. 2 years away from Virgin, maybe I'll go for new customer deal.

That fine was pathetic. These companies will only learn those lesson if they lose customers because of their actions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You gotta love the defence from eir that that was in the past, that their manuals are different now.

Does that work in general in court? 'your honour, I am not currently in the process of committing a crime, we are talking about something in the past so what's the issue?'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

By far the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere.

I literally had to send them a registered letter to end the contract, as their call line had such long queues it was never-ending. Digiweb are 20E a month cheaper and the level of service is so far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I once (through a rather torturous process, as I am not an eir customer) managed to get talking to someone in eir about the fact that a tree in my garden was leaning against a phone line. I'd no great love for the tree, planted by a previous owner, and was contacting them to let them know they had full permission to hack at the tree if they had a crew in the area. I thought I was being a good citizen.

After an initial 'we're not doing your tree surgery for you for free' response, they agreed to look into it, and came back to me several days later and triumphantly told me they'd found a workable solution.

I was to log a service request with my provider (virgin, as it happens) who would pass that to eir; who would then send a crew out to cut the tree, and then bill virgin for it. And that virgin may then bill me for that, but that was up to virgin.

'so wait, you want me to log a call with your competitor, to address an issue relating to your infrastructure, and that either virgin or I would pay for that?'

'yes, that's what I'm saying'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

+ 1 for Digiweb. I moved to them from Vodafone a year ago and they are excellent. I used their customer support once and they were very helpful. Even phoned me a few hours after sorting my issue to see if all was working properly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Openeir dangerous plant division for that these days, don't care who if anyone you use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

A few years ago my father got a new laptop and helped him try and migrate his email across to his new computer,. I could not get his eir email address to work with Outlook. I rang up the eir customer care team and asked them what email clients they support. I was flabbergasted when they told me only support eir webmail, which is as old as the hills and has not being updated and given a refresh.

It turns out eir did not have certain security certs setup so without those certs Microsoft could not allow you to use eir as they considered it a security risk.

I ended up setting my dad up with Thunderbird and he was a happy bunny. Thankfully the only issues we have had since is with their tv service which keeps buffering. Thankfully that sheet show of a company are not providing my tv or broadband.

100% on digiweb. With them 4 years now and no complaints. Was with sky which runs on the eir network and the service just kept on degrading. So much so that if my wife was on a zoom call I couldn't be on one as well at the same time. Digiweb no such problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do Digiweb not run on the Eir network?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Digiweb (and Sky) are available on NBI and SIRO also

My Digiweb is on the SIRO network and was the main reason why I went them. Didn't want a provider that used the Eir Network

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I worked in eircom.net tech support in 2004/5.

A small number of staff were directly employed by Eircom, but most (including me) were contract staff through a company called Stelfox, and Eircom ran everything themselves.

We were never encouraged in any way to not let people know the complaints process.

A few months before I left, Eircom outsourced the call centre to a company called Stream Global Services (who have since been purchased by Convergys), and everyone got full time contracts with Stream.

Immediately things changed though. Almost all of the weekend staff that were hired were Indian or Pakistani, who were perfectly capable, but honestly, their English wasn't up to scratch and calls between them and Irish customers just didn't work.

Stream also were much more concerned with answering calls quickly than providing a resolution for customers. Basically, as long as Stream met their SLA's for calls handled they were happy.

Like myself, a lot of people moved on quickly after Stream took over.

I don't think they have the contract with Eir any more, but whoever is running it is likely similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I can't believe that it took this long for such action - and that the fine was only 7.500 EUR…? Absolute ****-show. Have a look at these as proof:

And more here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aboards.ie+eir+complaints&newwindow=1

• Registered Users Posts: 38 XT1200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Years ago had no real options for BB, called Eir and they said it would work at house. Guy came out to install from KN Networks and said I would be wasting my time as it would be terrible and he wouldn't advise me to install

I spent months trying ot get them to stop the direct debit and then once it was stopped to refund me, was a total disaster, never again would I go near them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ugh, don't remind me about their TV service. We made the mistake of switching to them about 5 years ago when they had the bright idea of slapping their logo on some homeplugs and an Android box. The box would take about 5-10 minutes to connect to the wi-fi, and anything of HD quality was constantly buffering. Of course, because it was using our broadband connection this would hog the bandwidth, so if you wanted to watch YouTube/Netflix or play online, that'd suffer too.

A €7,500 fine is just the cost of business for them, they know they've got hundreds of thousands trapped with no alternative.

Their turnover is over €3m per day, a €7.5k fine is derisory. About four minutes worth of turnover for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭thebourke

I was thinking the same thing…the fine was too low….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tbf id ructions with them in the past,

I mean seriously bad stuff,swore I wouldn't go near the cnuts again,

10/12 years later I chanced them again,

Pleasantly surprised tbh,

Day the engineer was supposed to call-:he turned up

Any niggles we had ref connection was sorted within 2 days,

VF just couldn't/ wouldn't match their prices despite me near begging them,

Now we have 2 cracker 5G Sim only plans ( e20 cheaper than VF combined)

Broadband e12 cheaper than VF

So far alls good,

Annoying thing that the bill has gone up but for now I'm happy enough,

Next year if VF can promise a cheaper option we will jump ship

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does anyone known if there an upper limit contained in the legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement