Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom customer service manuals warned staff not to obey law, court told

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

5 years ago Eir start using Apple TV boxes. I should know as I was at the launch of it The Apple TV boxes are great, the buffering drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

surprised Comreg held their ground. Typically they are fairly toothless.

A MASSIVE fine for Eir is the only penalty that will get anything changed.

RTE radio did a piece on them yesterday ..outlines their disgusting customer service practices.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22384887/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Having a listen to that now.

Absolutely abysmal stuff, it really shows you can't trust a word of what they say on the doors. I am still getting hounded to sign up for phone watch (a subsidiary of eir) very pushy sales technique id say it works on scaring older people into joining.

You really need to be proactive when it comes to cancelling and tracking when contract up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, my contract with Eir ended…… TODAY actually (Pure coincidence). Off to Digiweb so. Thanks for the input.

Do you need to give them notice you are cancelling? (30 days)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

About ten years ago I was being hounded by them both with phone calls and front-door calls (usually when having dinner) and it got to the point that there was something every few days.

As I wasn't a customer of theirs, I wanted my details removed from their marketing lists and every time they called, i made this demand to no avail. (I hadn't been a customer of theirs since I got it in writing about twenty years ago that one of their "Winback" agents lied to me).

Anyhow, I decided to make a formal request to their Data Protection Officer but at the time there seemed no way digitally to contact them. So I printed off a letter and dropped it into HSQ. This letter made the point that I had asked countless times to be removed. It also mentioned that as I would never, ever, ever become a customer of theirs, I did not want to be pestered with their marketing so as of receipt of my letter (which was hand delivered!), any call made (either by phone or to the door) would incur a non-negotiable charge of €10,000. Any continuation of the unwelcome calls would signal acceptance of my terms.
    There has not been one more call since!

Literally never been with Eir at this address or phone watch.

I logged a complaint and they couldn't guarantee they wouldn't keep calling to the door...

I contacted the CCPC, nothing they can do, they suggested legal advice.

I might need to do something similar to what you did fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭grinder23

Eir sold phone watch in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

oh that doesn't surprise me , I worked in Eir tech support for their broadband around 2012 I think ( call centre work…sh1te job but recommend everyone do it once to as a life lesson) and HCL took over and managed to make the job worse. Told manager to fuk off leading to my one and only time I ever got fired from a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

For anyone that missed it and interested in this, worth listening back to the The Business programme on RTE Radio1 last Sat morning. Eircom/ Eir CEO Oliver Loomes was interviewed and an interesting view of the corporate mindset. This was just a day or so before the court judgment and publicity https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/the-business/2024/0413/1443353-the-business-saturday-13-april-2024/

• Advertisement

Ah right didn't know that.

In that case I am getting hounded by Eir and the company they used to own Phonewatch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'm in no way surprised. My friend moved to them for tv & broadband & ended up cancelling within a week because of their customer service. There was an issue with the tv from the get go so she rang up & went round in circles, even being called a liar at one point by the agent on the phone when she said that this was the 3rd time she'd rang on this (it wasn't - turns out it was the 4th - within a week). Just shocking. She said it was worth paying the few extra quid to one of the other providers to not have to deal with their customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Does anyone remember when Eir had a forum in the "Talk To " section?

I remember reading the experiences of some contributors to the forum with incredulity that Eir could treat customers that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Last year, fiber broadband finally came to my area. Shortly after the line works finished, a middle aged executive looking guy arrived at my door from Eir. Said he was the Chief Broadband Installation and Facilitation Engineer for this area or some makey uppy title of that nature. He seemed a bit old, well dressed and professional to be hawking broadband contracts door to door.

After a long spiel, I told him I already had broadband via dish with a local company and that local company would now be getting my business as a fiber customer. And even if they couldn't provide me with Fiber, I would rather resort to dialup than enter into an 18 month contract with a crowd of gougers like Eir. That abruptly ended the sales pitch which was a good result all round.

Advertisement