Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't I am saying it is very strange.

Surely if there is a drop in viewership for bulletins then the same goes for the following weather report and the following sport bulletins?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

News and current affairs journalism costs money. Lots of it, as does live telly. People who don’t pay the tv licence are part of the problem and don’t get to complain about it.

Bob possibly RTÉ overspending and mismanagement over the last 20 odd years is more then likely a considerable part off this issue. If you honestly believe that the management teams of RTÉ are good then that is fair enough, but you will need to clearly outline this. Do you think everyone here is not paying their licence fee?

I'd argue that Kevin Bee might want to reign in his new Director of Audio

https://www.sundayworld.com/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rte-2fm-boss-insists-jennifer-zamparelli-has-not-joined-former-co-presenter-keith-walsh-in-dispute/a2102351461.html

Mr Healy confirmed yesterday he has heard widespread radio industry rumours that Jennifer is in some sort of dispute and stand-off about relating to her contract, but he says this is all completely untrue.

“She’s on leave. It’s bullsh*t. Bullsh*t, bullsh*t, bullsh*t. She’s on leave. It’s farcical,” he said.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Karppi

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of contract workers (which I predict will not end well for RTE in terms of compensation payments) where can I get a sample of what Dan Healy's smoking? The quotes are bizarre; constant repetition does not make something true or believable. In fact, at least for me they make what he's saying unbelievable

“She’s (Jennifer's) brilliant, absolutely brilliant. On the breakfast show from the very beginning with Bernard (O’Shea) and Keith – she’s an absolutely brilliant broadcaster. She’s a superstar, absolutely brilliant. It’s absolute nonsense.”

The only part of this ^^^^ hyperbole that is believable is the last sentence.

“The big news this week is Tommy (Tiernan), Hector (Ó hEochagáin) and Laurita (Blewitt). That brilliant podcast……Brilliant brilliant podcast, three brilliant presenters.”

“Laura (Fox) is like most of the people we meet with the 2FM crew over the years, very hard focused, very hard working. Like really driven, very ambitious and puts in the work, literally puts in the work,” he beams.

Clearly, Dan works with a lot of very, very, very brilliant, brilliant, brilliant presenters, some of whom qualify as absolutely brilliant superstars.

Absolute nonsense, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Shan Doras

Is Dan Healy getting the fancy new title of director of audio ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Goes to show the level of guff that comes from RTE.

They all know that by bigging up the presenters there they are indirectly bigging up themselves.

They know that by building an aura around these people they ensure that the ‘great unwashed’ tend to buy into the hype.

A rising tide lifts all boats, they say which is why you have Ballsy on at 1100 on weekends surrounded by like

minded folk riding the ‘everybody is great’ horse into the ground.

I don't see either Director or Content Audio or Director of Content Video being given to an external person.

I suspect that DofC Video will go to Niamh O'Conner (Acting DoC) or potential to Alan Tyler (Commissioning Editor of RTÉ entertainment).

DofC Audio could go to Head of Radio 1 (Peter Woods) or Head of Radio Strategy and 2FM (Dan Healy).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

I am referring to all of RTÉ and its policy on News bulletins and programming across broadcast services. Let me just be clear: -

1. Long summer breaks, and increased breaks after bank holidays
    2. Axing of News bulletins on RTÉ ONE from 10 am to 1pm but the Retention of Weather on RTÉ ONE at these times
    3. Axing of late night news bulletins on RTÉ ONE but the Retention of Weather on RTÉ ONE at these times
    4. Axing of RTÉ NEWS on RTÉ 2 at 11pm
    5. Axing of News Bulletins from 7pm until 7am on RTÉ 2FM, reduced service on the Weekends but Retention of Sports Bulletins
    6. Outside of news : -
      1. No full time daytime or morning show on RTÉ ONE
      2. Axing of in house children's content and thus cutting of funding to children's content on RTÉ2 and RTÉjr, and thus cutting across all platforms
      3. and on….

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

Although sports bulletins and weather forecasts are sponsored, it's possible that there's greater interest in them than there is in news bulletins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

That maybe so, but there are over 2,000 staff and contractors in the place. They should at least be able to find a body wandering the corridors to read the news.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

11.00pm sports bulletin on Radio One no longer goes out on weekdays, reduced service from last year. Sport on 2FM finishes with Game On at 7.00pm. So cutbacks there but not sure anyone has left apart from John Murray?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭csirl

Problem is the only people who believe their own hype is RTE themselves. The general public see right through it.

Some of it is ridiculous. You'd think Marty Morrissey was John Madden or John Motson the way they go on about him. He actually turns people off the GAA he's so bad.

They are sponsored but that is my reasoning that they have been left, the news can't be sponsored on TV. But RTÉ are the public service broadcaster so there are certain things that they have to do, and sponsored weather and sports is not one of them. Your also giving them an excuse not to do their job.

There are other aspects of the reasoning for ditching news bulletins. One is I think because RTÉ felt that it didn't look good to have a news reader is a smaller studio reading the new over their plush bigger news studio, but then you look at the mess that is the RTÉ news channel and you think no, they could honestly think the small news studio looks bad if they think the news channel looks good.

I think their honest reason is "We can't be bother and we don't actually give a flying **** in any case, why should we explain this to you, paupers the lot of you, now please **** off".

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Field east

is your issue with Marty himself or The Marty Brand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Poor Marty won't be getting a new free car this year

https://jrnl.ie/6351109

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

'Can I have that car for a 100 euro if I promise to promote your business every minute of every day?'

Problem solved for Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Karppi

If it took Kevin this long to implement this rather watered down policy, there’s no hope of real change in RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

Daithi might have to hand his hair back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

I have heard stories of Marty and the Mummy not paying their bills. It is not a gift if the invoice goes unpaid!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭csirl

My issue is that he's a terrible game commentator - which is the core part of his job. RTE could do a lot better at a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Rugbyf565

How do I get on the RTE gravy train?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

1.. have a relative in Montrose

2..Have been a student activist in your College days

3..Have been a leading light in a students union

4.. Have gone to Blackrock, Gonzaga, St Andrews..etc

5.. Have a Daddy or Mammy with lots of money

6..Have performed in RTE as a member of the Billie Barry troupe in your young days.

7..Befriend someone in RTE who drinks in Goggins or the Purty Kitchen.

8..Have taken a leading role in some lockout, protest, riot, eviction, or cause .

9..Have a D4 accent 'sau strong' you could cut it with a knife.

10.. Have travelled the world at other peoples expense trying to find yourself.

That should put you on par with most of the staff out there, this poster would opine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

The language used is revealing and quite comical.

Any policy I ever wrote always said what employees must, or must not do. I never 'urged' anyone!

11. Have a blog or social media presence that garners you an award or award nomination for the some 'social media event' that nobody has heard of. This has become more annoying with the likes of TikTok or Instagram.

I knew someone like this. It was still early days of social media, late 2000s, early 2010s. Round the time folks were more and more able to access the web from their phones, and tablets. She created a presence online, ran a blog, posted quite a bit. Parents were pretty well off, had a house in Spain or Portugal, as well as one or two in Ireland. She got a tryout for RTE, a 5 minute segment on TwoTube, or TwoTV (whatever was the 'young people's' programming at the time). Seemed like she might actually get a job in TV, to the outsider. She graduated, and did pretty well by all accounts.

Well, a year goes by-no calls. She's blogging, and complaining that her Degree is gathering dust. Goes to the USA, starts bragging about all the interviews she's getting. But it never goes anywhere. (Meanwhile, parents are funding this trip). Her visa runs out after a year.

She came home. Stopped blogging. Retrained in something else. I think, even in the 2010s, late 2010s, it became apparent that without a connection, you weren't getting into the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

By big social media presence RTE thinks having a 1000 followers means you are the next big thing (can't remember the womans name who got a job based on that) - showing how out of touch they are in RTE, wow 1000 people follow you, you must be big, here's a job

God, there's so many of them who've done that-there's one in Fair City right now, who claims to be a comedian… but who's stuff is just 'skits' on instagram. It's how she got the gig on Fair City.

There's a presenter who was on one of the RTE jr shows who started life as an 'online' comedian. She was actually pretty intelligent, was studying law and then did a Masters in media.

There's been quite a few who've gotten gigs over the years from youtube, social media, or the likes. Rubberbandits had been doing quite well, in Ireland, but couldn't parlay it to the UK. And I'll at least give them credit, they did do stage performances. So they worked on their skills. It wasn't all just 'online' comedy. Takes guts to get in front of an audience.

But they didn't connect in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

It's actually Mafia type scary the amount of cash handed over to breda o'keeffe as a literal parting gift by Dee, considering how much she was begging for money to help the cash strapped company she was running into the ground

I'm not even sure the amount of cash on that table would reach the amount!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Imagine what she could have done if she got the funds she was looking for..... she could have easily doubled the golden hand shakes,,, honestly are the government going to take any meaningful action, obviously not as many seem to be walking away with their own lump sums,,,an absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement

If your talking about the same actress in FC that I am think of she is daughter of the guy that played Johnny One, she's fairly useless I always thought he wasn't bad, I think the FC producers feel sorry for her because I think he ended up in a pretty bad way due to drugs. Her acting skills are much more like the rest of the Fair City cast, fairly shite.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement