Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

I've just read that one of Tiernan's guests on last night's edition was a death doula. Who the hell would want to watch or listen an interview with someone who has that occupation?!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/rte-tommy-tiernan-show-viewers-32479257

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's plenty to complain about RTE but Tommy Tiernan's show is one of the better programmes on offer.

Its not the typical stage-managed PR exercise for people to plug something. It seems to lead to more organic conversations and you get something more interesting, like the above, as opposed to bubble-dwelling celebrities churning out carefully-crafted answers you can play bingo with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Sure the government are just going to give them a top up.

You know that RTÉ are looking at spending 2.5m on Social Media, Photography, Market Research and Consultations on strategy etc over the next 3 years. Can you tell me how much the expect to save in their NEW DIRECTION?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

He's not the best TBH but I think that's just an opinion, he's already just started repeat guest which makes little sense to the format.

______

Yesterday

As was stated in the following article last November, there are conditions attached to the interim funding that RTÉ receives.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tv-licence-should-remain-core-part-of-rte-funding-says-minister-1553643.html

• Advertisement

So? You think the government is going to allow RTÉ to die?

The government, media and academia are all on the same page. I will let you get to that page without my help, and then suggest that nothing is changing.

______

Yesterday

I posted that link to prove my point that there are conditions attached to the interim funding. So I wasn't looking for your help to get to that page!

What the government/media/academics think: -

1. RTÉ's problem is an existential crisis caused by the archaic license fee.
    2. RTÉ's governance issues are caused by the existential crisis.
    3. RTÉ is public service broadcasting and there are no other alternatives to RTÉ.

Why things will not change: -

1. It is clear to most that RTÉ have cause the majority of their own problems
    2. Governance issues aside RTÉ is mismanaged
    3. There are serval alternatives to what public service broadcasting is

Just read what Paschal Donohoe says in that Article: -

1. I do not believe that any government should be involved in allocating and determining how much money a state broadcaster should get.
    2. I believe we should have a method of collecting this that delivers a compliance rate that is at least in line if not ahead of where we are at the moment.
    3. There’s still a very large amount of revenue coming in from the television licence at the moment

He also states: -

that the plan put forward by Mr Bakhurst is “clearly going in the right direction”, and said government would be looking for “assurances that it is being implemented”.

He really says nothing about conditions rather he is talking about independence while the article suggest a few of the strategy points from RTÉ's new direction : -

The conditions requested are based on RTÉ's new direction, according to the article they are : -

1. salary price cap of €250,000 and up to 400 job cuts over four years
    2. RTÉ digital stations and plus-one TV channels are due to be axed,
    3. there will be a greater reliance on independent productions
    4. savings of ~10m

None of this reflects the issues with in RTÉ. It is largely a rehash of RTÉ 2024 Revised strategy some of which included:-

1. Reduce salaries of top earners (executives to take pay cut)
    2. RTÉ digital radio stations to be axed
    3. Sale of land and RTÉ Guide
    4. savings of ~10m

https://about.rte.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/RT%C3%89-2024-Web.pdf

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Have rte done anything to save any money? They’ve given Ray a new 250k a year contract

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Then I guess it's window-dressing on the government's part.

As for the idea of selling the RTÉ Guide to a different owner, did RTÉ really think that anyone would be interested in taking it over from RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

A couple of publishers were interested in licencing the name but nobody wanted to have to take on all the staff and pay them the same perks that they get at rte.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I spent some of the Easter weekend listening to 2fm and I noticed that their news service has been dramatically reduced, No news during their 7/9am weekend breakfast show for example. So the claim that an number of posters make about 2fm getting no cuts whatsoever is untrue

Claim RTÉ 2FM has had no cuts … is not a claim.

The claim is and the truth is that 2FM has been given licence fee funding since 2011 and has large not seen any cuts to its funding. It has gone from a self-sufficient broadcaster to one that now need licence fee funding, while RTÉ at the same time cut funding to Children's content and Independent Drama and Comedy.

Your proof of cuts RTÉ NEWS: bulletins cut from 2fm

On several occasions on this thread I point out that RTÉ ONE, 2 and 2fm have all seen cuts to news bulletins. As have others

RTÉ ONE's morning (from 10AM) bulletins have all disappeared (TBH I am surprised they still have the bulletin during the TODAY show). RTÉ ONE's weather remains on during the morning hours. RTÉ ONE has also drop its late night News Bulletins.

RTÉ2's has drop all news and current affair (save for News2Day) again this was point out many many times.

While RTÉ made the decision to drop all news programming after 7pm and during the weekends, because RTÉ 2FM is a music station and people don't go to the station for news according to RTÉ… but they do go to RTÉ2fm for a daily sports programme and sports bulletins.

Yes RTÉ cut to their public service broadcasting remit on each service, while they keep sports and weather going because …. you can get a sponsor for them.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Surely 2FM would use the same source or news bulletin as RTE radio or whatever other RTE radio stations run the news bulletins. We see this with stations that are all under the same umberella like Newstalk all sharing the same bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Question that needs to be asked.

Have any of the ‘talent ‘ have had their outrageous wedges cut.

I’m aware of contracts ….and stuff.

Wireless set of Radio stations use Newstalk national news at night also. (Ironically this started when UTV Ireland had set up their own national news studio for TV!).

RTÉ just came up with a fanciful reason to drop News on 2FM. Technically, as was once pointed out on boards, when RTÉ were bragging that 2FM were not in receipt of licence fee funding, 2FM news was getting licence fee funding as it came from the RTÉ News department, so therefore RTÉ 2FM did get some licence fee funding, but nothing like the amounts given over the last few years.

I don't really understand why the Sports reader can't also read the news.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Tow

Is there not some of NUJ newsreader issue, going back to the dispute with Chris Carey/Radio Nova days.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

What exactly was this NUJ issue? Was it about the prospect of sportscasters being made redundant?

By the way, I never heard of Chris Cary until you mentioned him. In 1998, he was jailed in Britain for a scam.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ex-pirate-radio-chief-jailed-for-30m-sky-card-scam/26188838.html

There's a Wikipedia page about him under his alias 'Spangles Muldoon'. He died of a stroke in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spangles_Muldoon

Here's a Hot Press obituary.

https://www.hotpress.com/music/chris-cary-passes-away-4480623

@Tow @political analyst if it is an NUJ/union issue it is just part of RTÉ and the Unions cold war.

RTÉ have jumped around any agreements with the Unions over the years and the union have imposed rules that have lead to RTÉ unable to produced content.

My theory is that RTÉ don't produced A morning show due to the unions and union rules, RTÉ take their news break in August, RTÉ's afternoon show takes a break during the summer months, RTÉ deciding not to put Fair City on the player until they could get agreement from the UNION or on +1, RTÉ decision to axe an episode of Fair City but to stop production during the Summer months and so on.

It's a cold war IMO.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

On RTÉ's news break it was extend until today, coming from Easter Weekend, a massive news story north of the border breaks and RTÉ are on holidays until today! Crazy stuff.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Baba Yaga

near choked on me coffee when i read that…doubt thats ever going to happen cause of "contractual obligations" "legaly binding" "confidentiality clauses" "legal advice precludes" and "we are under siege from the bbc for our talent" oh,near forgot "noel kelly says we cant and we've to pay them a shite ton more money"

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

https://goss.ie/featured/this-is-why-bryan-dobson-decided-to-leave-rte-375423

Yeah sure it is Brian. It amazes me that they did ask about the controversy surrounding RTÉ, no one will even remember him that well.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭jmcc

Think that it had to do with Nova using news material from other stations and TV channels.

Regards…jmcc

For legal reasons there's a limit to what can be said about that story and so RTÉ's 'news break' had no impact on their coverage of that story. RTÉ have to conserve their resources so they can cover elections and referenda sufficiently.

So is Dobson getting an exit package for retiring a year before his 65th bday? What is the point of giving exit packages to staff who have a clear role?

Leader of the DUP resigns. RTÉ reports is due to an arrested due to alleged historical sexual offences.

There is really nothing after this in relation to his resignation as party leader. The DUP are the second largest political party north of the boarder, they are key to Stormont. RTÉ should be covering the political fallout of the departure.

It is a great pity that Leo didn't resign at a weekend, so that everyone could defend RTÉ news coverage.

______

Yesterday

I am just waiting for Terence O’Rourke to appear before the Oireachtas and a huge number of people saying how he's far better than Suin Ni R, how he looks like he's making real progress and things are changing…

… in the position a month an not a single word from the man.

______

Yesterday

RTÉ had discussion of the fallout on its radio and TV news programmes. No political ramifications have happened in NI so far. So it wouldn't carry as much weight as the death of former Taoiseach Albert Reynolds, which was during the summer break but still meant an hour-long Six-One and a Prime Time special.

• Advertisement

Are they just wonderful being able to rush off their schedule holidays just like that.

Can I ask why do they take so many long breaks, and why have the cut so many news bulletins? Is it because of the existential crisis or the millions they are spending on consultants? Maybe its the 25k car allowances?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement