Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think I know who you're thinking of, but I'm thinking of that 'new' family in Fair City (the one that recently recast the daughter, bizarrely-tho the new actress is really fit, so no complaints :) ). The one playing the mother, Ali Fox, claims to be a comedian… but she's a comedian on social media (or a 'content creator' if you don't find her funny).

Apparently, someone in RTe paid attention to her, during the lockdown, and that got her a gig on Fair City.

I did not know that about Roxanna Nic Liam's dad. That's really sad, that a promising career got derailed so quickly. No wonder she uses her writing and poetry as therapy. I know she's spoken of her own issues with addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭jmcc

The human cost of RTE "management" and its "self-employment" thing:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/she-said-theres-no-such-thing-as-a-job-for-life-ex-2fm-dj-keith-walsh-on-his-desperate-plea-to-dee-forbes-to-keep-his-job/a127854407.html

That Dee Forbes excuse is looking more threadbare by the day. At this stage, it is looking like only a new government will be the only way that the actions of RTE management, past and present, will be properly examined.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭Trampas

The gift thing. We’ve and I’m sure most places have it in places for decades. Sure rte is a rule to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So we now know that Jon Williams got an exit payment to leave. Previously we knew that he had as part of his pay packet been given trips to NYC to go to board meetings on some board he is on, nothing to do with his work in RTÉ but sure here's some money to support your other work that has nothing to do with RTÉ. You have to assume he received moving expenses. He also took a trip home during the semi-lifting of COVID restrictions, but of course the trip was paid for by RTÉ, no problem with him visiting home but to have it paid for by the National Broadcaster! Also everyone was in the same situation so you get little sympathy when pulling out the sympathy card.

Meanwhile 2 weeks before his hospital appointment Jimbo Jennings attended the 2023 final of UFEA champions league. He according to RTÉ went into hospital for an operation on the 26th (I assume routine), he's been out sick from RTÉ with pay for the last year! and he still expenses newspaper subscriptions to his company credit card!

Does anyone here get a year of sick leave in the place of work? Good time in RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I would opine that those happenings were widespread in RTE…..I wonder who paid for all the Orlando trips during the GR days.

There seemed to be a a thin mist between work done in RTE and “outside activities”.

Seems that a large percentage of on air folk were involved in outside activities and apparently there was a somewhat murky distinction between the two activities as presented by recent occurrences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

Why did Jon Williams leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

I see the story in the mail about Jon Williams traveling to the UK in July 2020, a time when RTE were telling the general public that they had to "staycation" to "beat Covid". as an aside, nobody in the media ever mentioned how katherine Zappone returned to America after leaving cabinet in Summer 20 when the general political & media narrative was that air travelers were super spreaders.

It may be to do with the Nally review? I doubt it but it is one possibility but the other possibility is that Dee wanted to get rid of him?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Baba Yaga

speaking of dee…has she been spotted out and about at all? she must be on the road to recovery by now? the poor craytur,a good dose of andrews salts would have her up and about in no time!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0417/1444013-tv-licence-inspector/

Everyone get your violins ready. Apparently TV licence inspectors are having a hard time on doorsteps throughout the country. Who would have thought that calling to someones door and demanding money from them to pay for entertainment they probably don't watch, under threat of going to court and possible to prison, would be unpopular.

The tone of the article is hilarious, the surprise that a once docile and compliant public are now hostile and speaking their minds. Even being asked by members of the public to justify why they must pay a TV licence. The humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Oh won't someone please think of the poor Licence inspectors. They will be like that other much maligned group the clampers. 😀

Interesting to see Joe and Her have headlines criticising an RTÉ programming The Full Irish Hidden Camera Show

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/rte-show-slammed-as-the-worst-programme-ever-made-798241

https://her.ie/entertainment/rte-show-slammed-as-the-worst-programme-ever-made-604161

The publication is very slow to move on any criticism of anything in these types of articles.

Could they not guess that it is not a great show by the promotional picture taken for the show,

I suppose we just have to think about how wonderful 2FM presenters are.

That's 3 invoices of €10k a month that RTÉ have to pay on our behalf.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kingslayer

Has Forbes ever actually said what is wrong with her? Months later and she still isn't fit to answer some questions by email! Is she in a coma?

She's just feeling sorry for herself, they put it down the mental health issues and you can't really argue with that.

______

Yesterday

sorry…i have to ask…who are those three gobdaws?

RTÉ 2FM's breakfast show hosts and hosts of the Hidden Irish Camera Show: -

Donnacha O'Callaghan (Former Irish Rugby Player)

Doireann Garrihy (a self styled comedian and impersonator)

Carl Mullan (Former RTÉ intern)

Do you not see how hilarious they are from that photo ?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭tom23

They, sir, are the ‘talent’ that the license fee tax paying joe pays for. Absolutely shite. The three of them.

You wonder why people might not recognise them during their hidden camera antics? It's not the makeup or costumes, its that no one has a clue who they are.

______

Yesterday

i really wouldnt have a clue who they are….and im guessing we're paying them a shite ton of money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Karppi

Based on what Keith Walsh has said, it seems to be the case.

Keith (You can look him up if you don't know who he is) is currently suing RTÉ because they classified him as Self Employed/ A contractor. If what he says is true it sounds like RTÉ basically said to their contractors, here is a contract for €120,000 but rather than confusing things "just invoice us for 10k each month", of course in comes the DSP who look at his wages and think to themselves, while yes he agreed to this great contract in reality because he had a basic monthly wage it makes him staff.

Instead RTÉ should have insisted that Keith bill them per show per month, and because I have too much time I will explain.

Contract stipulates that Keith must do 210 programmes each year (this take into consideration normal holidays of 21 days and the 10 bank holidays, and as this is RTÉ have 19 more because your worth it). So if Keith works 20 shows in a month he bills €11,428.57, but if he only works 14 shows in a month he bills €8,000, and if he is not on the air for a month he doesn't bill them for that month. (that's €571.43 per show).

But because RTÉ wanted the easy life all contractors bill RTÉ by dividing the total contract amount by 12, sending in an even invoice monthly.

Then you have poor auld Joe Duffy who stated he didn't get sick pay when he was off sick, but you can be guaranteed Joe billed as normal.

Of course I say "guaranteed" but this is all hypothetical.

______

Yesterday

So I will say it here but… I have little sympathy for workers in RTÉ. I feel sorry that their jobs are at risk from very kind of basic level, but I also think they can find jobs elsewhere and they largely never spoke up about conditions over the last decade or so when almost everyone on the outside saw the completely and utter incompetency of the broadcaster.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What is happening with the RTE governance review? Is Minister Martin doing anything at all anymore?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

i know its a stupid question but…what the fcuk do rte need boats for?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Barter account shenanigans :)

They used the boat for 2fm party \ hospitality events iirc.

RTÉ has claimed it was an “editorial” decision to host a number of 2FM parties on boats owned by presenter Doireann Garrihy’s family business. Dublin Bay Cruises – which has hosted listener parties and birthday parties for the 2FM breakfast show – was never charged for the events. RTÉ said the parties were not viewed as “formal promotions” for the cruise company, and so no charge applied.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/editorial-decision-to-have-2fm-parties-on-boats-owned-by-doireann-garrihys-family/a2106634431.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Load of BS from RTÉ. A promotion is a promotion. This is where CnaM their authority needs to come in, and also as regulator.

There is such a thing as Free Product Placement: under which use of a set, studio or area for free use is considered product placement. Also who's to say Doireann did add something on to her normal 10k invoice for the event!

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

Even though I knew the background (somewhat obviously, or I wouldn't have made the jibe!) but even reading about it again now, I am shaking my head in wonderment that RTÉ thought they could get away with such shite. Oh, and they did get away with it!

….

• Advertisement

Is Minister Martin doing anything at all anymore?

This presupposes that she used to do something - I'm struggling to think of anything; other than kick the can down the road.

Advertisement