Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Wrestlemania 40- 6th/7th April 2024 'spoilers'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I noticed Rollins sat very gingerly into the corner and rolled out to KO just before he had the interaction with Cody, torn between whether it was a work or legit, I'd say he's going to have a lengthy enough layoff himself, isn't he due to have some sort of back surgery? I know he struggled through the Crossfit open with it being so hingey

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well Seth was true to his word being a "shield" for Cody, Roman and Seth have come full circle

Anyone else think Rock would do ssome dancing to Night Fever in his white ensemble 😁

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wouldnt be surprised if there is a draft soon Undisputed Champion to Raw and WHC to SD?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Loved it. Just a perfect final chapter to that story. From the moment the Usos rocked out to the close of the show, I just thought it was great.

That ending was the pay off to so many stories, and a reward to people that fans have deserved for quite some time. We talk about Mania moments, but that final half hour was one for the ages. While I'd wanted Stone Cold, the gong hitting was incredible and out of nowhere.

Seth distracting Roman in the gear, and being Cody's shield (distracting Roman for a moment, eating a chair shot, to save Cody) was great, even if it felt the crowd seemed to expect someone else too…

The speech at the end. Samantha's voice cracking. Cole's "I love you".

That was just such an amazing ending.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cody's first feud is going to have to be impactful to follow that. It kind of has to be Orton doesn't it? I don't think anyone else would have the emotional equal of a psychotic heel Orton destroying Cody out of nowhere and the resulting feud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

With next Saudi PPV in May they may continue the Bloodline fued until then or Summerslam. With Cody v Rock before Roman returns.

Has to transition to Gunther at some stage. With the draft coming up you would expect them both to be on same brand leading to Bash at Berlin. I'd reckon Gunther wins and Cody and him go head to head ag Mania 41

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Watched it back again there. The Rock seemingly being chokeslammed out of existence is probably my favourite thing ever right now. It's so pro wrestling 🤣 🤣 🤣

Seth was my mvp in the finale, I popped hearing SHIELD and him in the gear, I was even expecting Dean

I thought they over showed Cody with Randy too much, many hugs and words so I'm thinking that's the feud, heel Orton against top baby face Rhodes

Punk's kiss to Drew, funny, that's another feud that is going be good

I'd also welcome a Seth vs. Roman feud leaving Roman vs. Rock until next year's WM

Is the Bloodline over or will The Final Boss want revenge, Rock vs. Cody?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the ending was absolutely perfect, and it showed that this is all Roman's story, even more than it is Cody's.

Seth really was the shield he promised he would be. Roman had the chance to attack Cody towards the end, chose Seth instead, in an exact replica of the attack Seth perpetrated on his when he broke up The Shield, and Cody ended up winning the title.

just next level storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

My guess, they are going with Rock v Cody and tonights Raw is gonna setup Summerslam.

Before we get to summerslam, Cody will need a couple of jabroni's fed to him.

• Advertisement

R Truth crying seeing his childhood hero John Cena back at WM 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 37,929 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe Cody and the Undisputed title to RAW because of the 3 hours

The WHC could become more transitional that could suite the SD brand

Overall a very good wrestlemania which sets out great potential for the rest of 2024. Definitely the new policy of more 'International' PLEs is doing wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Minor quibbles but:

*I think Cena AAing Reigns was a mistake. Only Rhodes should have touched him the entire match.

*Reigns losing should have been a big deal too.

*That Shield pop was for Ambrose, shirley?

*The entire locker room rebelling against The Bloodline would have been kewl.

Rhodes leading the way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A long time lapsed viewer of WWE, just watched the main event…. that was damn enjoyable.. imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That main event was excellent, just landed perfectly. First time dipping into WWE in any kind of serious way since Becky main evented WM, and I thought it was average enough outside of the Bloodline stuff. The US title match was good, ladder match had it's moments, and the Punk/Drew stuff was good but I thought most of the undercard stuff was very meh. Much of that feeling might be down to my own ignorance of current acts and their backstories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought the same about Cena. Maybe Bloodline Rules could've been that they could do anything they want but Cody had to play by the normal rules. Of course I found it strange anyway they were wondering what Bloodline Rules involved when Rollins fought Solo last week under the same rules apparently.

Can't really blame Samantha for stumbling over the announcement at the end. Not just emotions but trying to remember the name of the title these days. Is it Universal Champion or Undisputed World Universal Champion or what?

Happy for Bayley winning as well. Dunno what Iyo will do now? Probably a rematch at least. Was thinking with the women getting a midcard title in NXT, maybe they could introduce one on the main roster as well to be on both brands.

No real feelings about Logan retaining. Did find it strange how there wasn't too big a deal made out of Owens kicking out of the RKO, which is probably one of the most protected moves.

Seth losing was kinda surprising but the Priest cash in was great. Still not sure on the MitB rules as sometimes they seem to need the champ on their feet before the match can start. And was Punk implying he's cleared by taking off the brace?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

My favourite thing from the whole weekend was Michael Cole saying he loves professional wrestling. No more sports entertainment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There seems to be a few reports today that WWE are planning to move away from the Sports Entertainment moniker and accept being pro wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just caught up.

• The opening match was decent but totally agree it was finisher spam. That being said, the cash-in and furthering the Punk/Drew story was amazing. Loved it!
    • AOP/Street Profits. I thought I was smoking the same **** as Snoop when he came out on commentary and Bubba Ray was ref for no real reason. Fun, pointless throwaway, I actually liked Snoop's weird commentary.
    • LA Knight vs AJ was fine, more good than bad but forgotten half of it already.
    • Triple threat was decent. Like KO/Randy's dynamic a lot. Think Logan winning was actually the right choice, think Knight might take it off him at Summerslam. Randy was laying it in there with that knob of a streamer hahaha.
    • Bayley vs Iyo was excellent, better than Becky/Rhea which I also enjoyed. Still confused why Bayley was Egyptian.
    • MAIN EVENT - Amazing, they managed to pull it off and in doing justified him not winning last year. Lots of long-term pay-off. Undertaker I was okay with, even if I expected Stone Cold, in retrospect Taker was the more apt choice. Seth coming out as the SHIELD and being Cody's Shield like he promised and Roman not being able to move past it was a great story bet. It just felt big, had someone I know who's not even following wrestling, watch it and said he loved it all the same. Feels like a new era, now let's hope they can pull off Cody as champ and a decent Raw after Mania (hasn't been good for a while).

Sidenote - Samantha Irvin is amazing. Brought so much to proceedings and her emotional call at the end was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Cole mentioned it 2-3 times after the main event, I'm surprised more hasn't been made about it.

Wrestling is no longer a dirty word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Her voice must be absolutely gone with how she calls the matches. This seems the new era of WWE has started. Did I hear somewhere the Rock has a movie starting soon how will they tie him in now because next Wrestlemania is a long time away if it is meant to be Rock Vs Reigns.

I know they have too have product placement but the over use of Prime (except maybe Logans "mascot" it is his brand) and the Slim Jims (or whatever) was a bit naff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

Absolutely mental. I used to do ring announcing and half the time by the main event my voice would be nearly gone. How she can do it on such a high level back to back and give it socks like she does is very impressive. Legit think she's one of the best assets WWE has right now.

Rumour going around is that Rock is going almost straight into filming his next film Smashing Machine. Which apparently keeps him occupied until about August, so in theory if he didn't have a film he could make Summerslam August 3rd. He'd be unlikely to make much of the build at least in a physical sense though.

Beyond that though he has a lot of projects in the works of course. The two that seemed most likely to happen were his Fast and Furious spin-off and the live-action Moana. The live-action Moana has already been delayed and we've heard very little about the FF spin-off and it looks increasingly likely that Fast 11 won't make it's April '25 date so that buys them some time cause it's meant to fill the gap between Fast X and 11.

Now that he's on the board maybe he'll be more inclined to look at wrestling but who knows. Then again, I reckon Roman will be gone for a bit too, so a beatdown by a new Bloodline could send him off for a bit and give the Rock a reason to be gone for a while too. Pure fantasy booking though.

Kind if ironic The Rocks next movie is about an MMA fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Murt2024

Stardust to the American nightmare just shows any of us can can change our situation and make our lives better. Sorry for been cringy but its an inspiration. From stardust to WWE champion is just crazy, and to top it off cody is genuinely a nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Seems fine to use them interchangeably to me but it's nice to think McMahon-style conniptions over "wrestling" or "belt" or "[guy signed to another company]" are in the past. McAfee still needs to know when to shut up though.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Arrived back in Dublin from Philadelphia yesterday morning….. I'm still not recovered physically or emotionally 😁.

What a weekend it was. We landed on Thursday afternoon, flew back on Monday evening. We didn't do any indie shows, we didn't really have time as we wanted to do some tourist stuff as well.

Friday: WWE World in the convention center. We didn't arrive until 3pm, bought tickets at the door, no queues. Around $70 each including taxes. I believe the place was absolutely mobbed when it opened at 10am. It was still busy when we got there, but no issues moving around the place. We got the last few mins of Pat Mcafee. Miz, JLB, Big E and Natalya were doing autograph signings. The Shop was packed, large queues for the checkout, so we didn't bother buying anything.

Saturday & Sunday: Mania was everything I was hoping for, plus a lot more. I thought the two main events would be good, but Sunday nights main event blew me away. The pop for Cena was huge, but the pop for the Undertaker was on another level. Like many others, when the shield's music played, for a second a Dean Ambrose return went through my head. So many great matches, both women's title matches and Sami v Gunther could have been match of the night on a regular PPV. The Uso's match was probably the only match not to a "wrestlemania standard". I missed the 6 women tag, I had to get something hot to eat and drink as it was absolutely freezing on the Saturday night! I noticed when watching mania on the network when I came home that they had large garden heaters suspended above the ring, you can see them on some of the camera shots.

Monday: Went to the shop at WWE world, it was a lot quieter, but most of the popular stock was gone, with only sizes S and 3XL available in the tshirts I wanted. Charles Robinson was walking around the shop, got a quick photo with him.

Saturday:

Sunday:

Post edited by twin_beacon on

• Advertisement

Brilliant and sounded like you had some time

Did you feel any wrestling fatigue ? Closet for me was last year House Show Dublin, SD Friday and MITB Saturday. Found SD dragged a bit esp after the taping

Don't think I'll ever afford Mania unless it comes to London or Europe (which is doubtful)

Advertisement