Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Wrestlemania 40- 6th/7th April 2024 'spoilers'

Options
  • 03-02-2024 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭

Night 1 (confirmed):

Rhea Ripley (C) VS Becky Lynch - Singles Match for the Women's World Championship

Gunther (C) VS Sami Zayn - Singles Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship

The Judgement Day (Finn Balor & Damian Priest) (C) VS DIY (Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa) VS Awesome Truth (The Miz & R-Truth) VS The New Day (Xavier Woods & Kofi Kingston) VS A-Town Down Under (Austin Theory & Grayson Waller) VS New Catch Republic (Pete Dunne & Tyler Bate) - Six Pack Tag Team Ladder Match for the WWE Undisputed Tag Team Championships

Jey Uso VS Jimmy Uso - Singles Match

Bianca Belair, Jade Cargill & Naomi VS Damage Ctrl (Asuka, Kairi Sane & Dakota Kai - Six Woman Tag Team Match

'Dirty' Dominik Mysterio & Santos Escobar VS Rey Mysterio & Andrade - Tag Team Match

The Bloodline (Roman Reigns & The Rock) VS Cody Rhodes & Seth Rollins (if Cody and Seth win Bloodline are banned from Night 2 Main Event, if Roman and Rock win Night 2 Main Event is Bloodline Rules)

Night 2 (confirmed):

Seth 'Freakin' Rollins (C) VS Drew McIntyre - Singles Match for the World Heavyweight Championship - CM Punk is special guest commentator

Iyo Sky (C) VS Bayley - Singles Match for the WWE Women's Championship

LA Knight VS AJ Styles - Singles Match

Logan Paul (C) VS Randy Orton VS Kevin Owens - Triple Threat Match for the WWE United States Championship

The Pride (Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits) VS The New Testament (Karrion Kross & AOP) - Philadelphia Street Fight

Roman Reigns (C) VS Cody Rhodes - Bloodline Rules Match for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship

Post edited by Necro on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm confused by Cody, wins the rumble, needs to finish his story but now will face Seth, kills his momentum imho

The Rock isn't full time so I think he'll job to Roman, have Roman surpass Hogan as champ, I don't think they needed the title in there match

What will the lads EC match be for now, IC or US title?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Proper test for WWE creative now

Would The Rock winning the rumble been a better idea than this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I'm still thinking this is a swerve.

Nothing confirmed so I am still hoping.

Cody v Reigns with Rock as enforcer.

Rollins v Sami v Drew. With a Priest cash in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Cody literally said last night he’s not coming after reigns at mania but knows someone who is and the rock came out. If this is a swerve then the swerve makes no sense.

Unfortunately it’s going to be Rock Reigns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

‘The Rock pushed super hard for it. The [#WrestleMania 40] card changed when CM Punk & Brock Lesnar were out and all the dominoes fell. Dwayne already wanted it and they [WWE] felt they now needed it as well. Felt this was better to change the news flow away from Vince.’

‘Cody was the plan. Dwayne was going to face him [Roman Reigns] later, maybe next year's Mania, maybe Saudi. The Vince thing ends up worse than they thought and they changed the plan. 100% it was Punk vs Seth and Cody vs Reigns until Punk got hurt.’

— Wrestling Observer Board

• Advertisement

I can't see why Punk is getting blamed, he was always going for Seth and plenty on Raw to take his spot like Drew, Sami, Jey, Gunther or a surprise chamber winner

I do think WWE want headlines not about dirty Vince so you could be right

You have to ask what now for Cody and Drew and others at EC?

Yeah he did say I'm not coming a Mania to be fair. Maybe just fanciful thinking. Not happy with it to be fair.

Will he go for Rollins for definate then as he didnt confirm that either? Just said he wants the that title but not at Mania.

Maybe Cody will go for the NXT title 😁 at WM or Rhea needs an opponent

It worked about the Vince headlines everyone on Twitter all talking about the rock.

I hate the decision it’s all about the rock and his brand and nothing about the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hardly going to have Cody win the rumble next year again finally setting up Roman vs Cody 2

What beef does Roman and Rock have with each other ?

• Advertisement

I'd be happy for Bayley to main event one night in her title match with Iyo

I didn't think Jey vs. Jimmy got a great reaction starting the rumble but apparently that is rumoured for WM

The whole head of the table, tribal chief thing. Rock arguing he is head of the table not Reigns. Doesn't need the title

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think they have messed Cody around here but it could easily be argued it is the right call and Cody being a team player will probably lead to a sustained mega push for him as a reward.

As much as people want Cody to "finish his story" The Rock vs Reigns is by far the biggest match they could do and they can actually do it now (who knows if in 12 months would the Rock's schedule allow it, will both guys be healthy etc).

For example Loughc here I do not disagree with but what is best for business in their mind is probably the match that every media outlet will talk about ad nauseum and get the most eye balls, attract the biggest advertisers (and yes get people talking about things other than Vinnie Mac).

Also with Punk out and Lesnar not being used, Gunther not able to go to Oz for the chamber match and Cena not currently involved in any way, star power is kind of needed. As much as the hardcore fans might think others deserve those spots Drew McIntyre being elevated into one main event and a repeat of last years main event is no where near as big a deal as what it seems like is now the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TKO Holdings will pushing the newest board member front and center for the next two months to try and get the horrendous crimes of Vince McMahon pushed down the news cycle and have The Rock the face of TKO Holdings and WWE.

Is it wrong that I'd prefer The Rock vs. Grayson Waller maybe this is the plan for EC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rock and Reigns can recreate Rock v. Hogan anyway - loads of working the crowd to slow things down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gonna guess the card will be something like this (one from each grouping on each night):

Karion Kross & AOP w/Scarlett vs Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits w/B-Fab

Jimmy vs Jey Uso

Solo Sikoa vs Randy Orton

Drew McIntyre vs Sammy Zayn

Gunther vs Bron Breaker (IC title match)

Logan Paul vs La Knight vs Kevin Owens vs AJ Styles vs Richochet (US title Ladder Match)

Rey Mystery vs Santos Escobar

Pat McAfee or John Cena vs Dominik Mysterio

The Kabuki Warriors vs Bianca Belair & Jade Cargill (Womens Tag titles)

The Judgement Day vs DIY Vs The Awesome Truth Vs Theory/Waller (Tag titles)

Iyo Sky vs Bayley 

Becky Lynch vs Rhea Ripley

Seth Rollins vs Cody Rhodes

The Rock vs Roman Reigns

---------------------------

Some variety in terms of match types of which there would be 7 each night and obviously some are just creative ways to get people on the card like teaming Cargill & Belair or making the US title and Male Tag titles multi-person/team matches.

It’s the biggest match for the casual viewer but it came at the expense of storytelling.

Cody’s story has been well built but what was the point of him bothering to win the rumble to just give up his golden ticket to face reigns for the Rock. Makes no sense at all.

In a storyline world sure He might never cross paths with reigns again given he’s on a different brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,833 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All my anticipation for Mania - for the climax of years worth of build - disappeared entirely with one quick nonsensical promo.

Rock V Reigns is obviously a big thing in its own way, but it's a novelty event. It's like McGregor V Mayweather. There's nothing before it or after it, it's just a sideshow with big enough names to be shoehorned into centre stage. But it's empty. As The Rock himself would say, it doesn't matter.

We all need to remember who to blame for all this.

Jack Perry….. he altered wrestling forever and this by just saying "Go cry me a river"

It led to Punk getting fired, returning to WWE and Rock/Reigns happening.

• Advertisement

Just got an email from WWE now about the press event if that doesn’t prove they are not going to deviate from Rock Reigns nothing will.

“The Rock and Roman Reigns will face off at an open-to-the-public fan and media event – WrestleMania XL Kickoff – live from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas this Thursday, February 8 at 4 p.m. PT. Hosted by Monday Night Rawcommentators Michael Cole and Pat McAfee, fans and media will hear from both The Rock and Roman Reigns, WWE Chief Content Officer Paul “Triple H” Levesque, "The American Nightmare" Cody Rhodes, Seth "Freakin" Rollins, Bianca Belair and Rhea Ripley.”

Showdown and Face off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pwinsider have a good report on the stuff from last night and one quote which stood out was the rock things putting himself in the main event is “saving wrestlemania” which proves he’s a bigger egomania then I thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given how many big stars aren't going to the EC show, it's very quickly become a B tier road bump, with all their attention now going to be on Mania.

Did Dusty ever fcuk over Rocky Johnson or Peter Maivia back in the day.

These wrestling famlies have long memories.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Actually, with Rock vs Roman, presumably Seth vs Cody, and Bayley vs Iyo, that means we only have one potential Chamber match now; one where Becky wins to set her up vs Rhea.

I was going to say an IC one, but Gunther ain't doing it. And I'd presume Logan isnt going to defend his US title there either?

Could Roman at least not pull double duty, face Cody night 1 for the title, face Rock night 2 for head of the table or top named Vince dildo 😁

• Advertisement

Feck you Liz I proper LOL’d at that last line 😂😂😂

Cant see them giving Roman double duty man barely shows up these days.

Advertisement