Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Let me hold my hands up now, I am really stupid when it comes to this. I have managed to fluke it for a few years. So I have a smart meter installed, 145 days so far. I am using Energypal and trying to work out the findings. Based on the information below what do people think?

Charge the car every night, a lot of days it would be nearly empty as it does all the mileage. The recommendation from Energypal is to use Energia Smart Data, I also use white goods on night as well.

Have solar so day is mostly cater for by it

Im on day/night rate with ESB and 14% discount, think rates are 0.3290 and 0.1623

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You probably need to analyse the costs to be able to make an informed decision. The Energia smart data plan will be the same night rate as EI, but a slightly lower day rate. So you'd need to calculate how much that would save you taking into account your solar use. Might not be that much. Also you clearly use most imported electricity at night, so that's potentially where your best savings could come from.

So a combination of a slightly inflated day rate combined with a lower night rate plus a higher export price might work for you.

Don't ask me where to get that. 😂

Thanks, yeah I was wondering if of the smart plans might be better but no idea how to check that, so Energia Smart Drive plan for instance

Well I suppose the first thing you have to do is break out the electricity you imported and paid for. Further broken down by the different rates (day and night). Your bills should give you this info.

Then slot in the different rates on offer and compare.

One of the things I find most frustrating about trying to figure out which plan is best for me (or anyone else) is the ludicrous way the comparison sites are set up. Rather than just giving you an easy to read list of all the available rates and extras (such as standing charges) they force you into a time consuming and entirely opaque list of inputs so that they can decide what suits you. All based on historical data that doesn't take into account what you might be able to change or plan to change.

And the suppliers are no better. Interchangeable tariff names, some of which disappear when you try to get the data you need or that data buried beneath layers of web fluff that you couldn't be arsed reading.

Infuriating /rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭crl84

A DC (aka fast/rapid charger) will always have the lead connected to the unit, and will be the CCS2 connector above on the end of the lead.

You don't need to provide your own lead/connector.

Your home one/granny charger will just be the type 2 connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

excellent, thank you! I could see from the pic someone posted they were different leads so wasn’t sure if then I’d need to buy a second type or have an adapter etc.

Thanks everyone! Has been a day of learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

One other thing to melt your head even more. AC cables come in two types, 3 phase and single phase. A single phase cable will only carry 16A(3.6Kw) regardless of what speed the charge point or car can charge at. 3 phase can carry 32A (7.3Kw single phase or 22Kw 3 phase)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

Also, if you intend in charging purely from solar excess it is unlikely to be ~7kW. Depends on your solar array size and orientation, but if its a standard rooftop setup of about 12 panels say, your charging speed will most likely peak about 5kW. And spend a lot of time at about 3kW.

THe issue I have with solar charging, seen this as a group but had popped into my head before. The charger switch, I think, went in someone car. High cost repair. The garage said becuase they used solar and it was constantly flicking on/off on days when the sun wasn't strong the switch went. Now that's as technical as I am but when I have solar plugged in and let says someone boils the kettle, the excess is gone and it will turn off, then a minute later turns on.

I noticed before and it could be clicking in/out a lot during the day. I don't use solar much but I don't think I will bother in future. Not a huge gain v night rate anymore

• Advertisement

Is that because you're drawing directly from the solar array rather than storage? Or does that make any difference?

I never knew about taking from storage, I only use direct from solar.

Maybe if coming from storage it might reduce it but I was thinking about it and then seen this case online of it causing an issue

I think anyway I get 18c FiT and I pay cira 16c for night rate, so just stick it on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There’s much better rates and FIT out there.

I'm paying 7.5c for EV rate, and FIT of 24c.

Might not suit in your case but might be worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yes our peak solar is just over 4.5kw and unusual to get that as a constant so it won't be a huge charge from solar alone. Just will be handy if I'm the only one home and not using the electricity for anything else just to get some charge for days where I'm not using a lot. More as an option rather than the normal way of charging.

I have heard this alright, something to be mindful of. Im reality as above I probably won't be using it as the main charge source, and if I'm charging during the day I'm usually the only one here so probably would only use it if I don't have other things running at the same time which hopefully might help the issue. If say I need solar for washing machine & drier then I could leave the car unplugged . Will see how it all works out, if I change to night rate I might not need to charge during daytime anyway.

You could always drop the input amperage in the car to match the solar output or a margin below it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A single phase cable will only carry 16A(3.6Kw) regardless of what speed the charge point or car can charge at.

Unless Im missing some context, thats not accurate.

Single phase can charge at 32A. Its what most people have in their homes!

You can of course have a single phase 16A cable which will only charge at 3.6kW but thats not a rule, just the spec of the cable you buy.

When on a 3-phase charge point with a 3-phase cable, most cars can only take 11kW which is 16A per phase, so maybe thats where you are mixing things up?

Yep, you're spot on, I kinda made a hash of that🫣. The post a new entrant to EV ownership doesn't need😕

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yea, that sounds correct to me. I think VW were one of the few to include a 16A 3 Phase cable with the ID.3 1st. Fine on 3 phase type 2, but only 3.6kW if using on an untethered single phase supply.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

At least there aren't as many option as a USB C cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Has anyone gone with energia to get the free charger installed? It's an eo charger. I can't find a lot of good reviews for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Currently on Valuesaver electric with EI. On my bill it says my unit rate is 35.73 which seems a bit high considering their standard rate on a standard meter is 27.23 on their website. Anyway I'm getting my charger installed next week, do I have to switch to a smart plan to avail of cheaper night rates?

Home electric + night boost smart plan is 36.15 day and then 17.83 night with a night boost of 10.47 between 2:00-4:00am. Surely it would be worth switching to that seen as the day rate is only a cent higher than what I'm paying now? Its an e golf with a 38kwh battery no idea how often I'll be charging tbh but the two hours on night boost every night would be more than enough for my needs I think. Probably drive 50km in a standard weekday.

You need to look at your overall usage before making a decision. Say you use most of your electricity in the daytime and there are only a couple of things you can move into a night rate (washing machine for example), then the saving on the 14kWh you would use charging the car may be inconsequential compared to (say) a 5c kWh saving you make during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I tried to check my usage on esb website but the excel file was a bit hard to follow. Tbh virtually all our usage bar phone chargers is during the day we don't run anything at night time. Our last bill was 317 before the government credit. That was at 35.73. If we had been on the smart plan at 36.15 that would have been 321.

Charging the car for two hours every night on our current plan would be 15.4kwh at 35.73 which is €5.50 a night or €308 every two months. On the smart plan it would be €90 every two months. Are my maths way off here.

No, sounds about right By the look of it you'd be better off with the night rate. And as I said, you could move some other stuff into the night rate as well. The more you can get into that 2 hour window, the more you save. A good trick is if you have an immersion heater and use hot water in the morning, stick it on the timer on the bath setting for 2am. Those two hours get it up to temperature and the rest of the night it's just kicking in for a few minutes to keep the temp up. Loads of hot water in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

Check out some of the smart tariffs, Energia “Smart Drive” have a 4 hour charging night window for 7.54 cent inc vat, rest of the time it is 33.86 inc vat, standing charge, which is often overlooked, is quite low, at €236.62 annually inc vat( urban meter). Some other smart urban plans are €100 + annually on top of this, per annum. There is no “peak” rate.

As has been suggested, consider what is feasible to move, onto the night rate: washing machines, dryers, dishwasher. Hot water heating.

There are other smart tarriffs with low night rates also, but the Energia one with 4 hours gives additional flexibility, it is the only smart tarriff, giving 4 hours per night, at a low rate ,and you’l get circa 28kWh, into your E Golf in that 4hour time frame, which will be enough to bring it to 100% or very close to it, as i understand the battery size is 32 kWh.

The decision is really all dependant on your overall usage, and day/night consumption split, which is different, for everyones circumstances.

Would you really be using 108Kw a week in the car? I doubt it. I'm only using around 40Kw per week. I stuck with the Flogas 24hr plan I'm paying 23c per unit. The car accounts for 20% of the electricity consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

a good point, people generally over estimate what they use, but home charge point apps, have good info on your actual usage, i’m only averaging 20kw charging per week, on average over last 2 years., but would have thought i was using more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm on the bord gais EV plan and it seems pretty decent so far.

It's a relatively cheap day rate compared to some 28c.

Peak (weekday between 5-7) is 39c so we avoid the washing machine etc going at that time (we just cook as normal, sure what can you do!)

Night rate is not as cheap as others at 20c

But the EV rate is 7c (3 hours, between 2am and 5am) is pretty cheap.

Standing charge is high though €325 a year.

We probably charge the car twice a week, so on the other nights we can throw the dishwasher, dryer and washing machine to come on at the EV rate. Other than cooking and an electric shower, these are the main users of power in our house. We only throw on the dryer at the same time on nights we do charge the car. The charger should back off for it to not be a problem, but I'd rather not be using close to the limit!

Getting the cheap washing done has certainly motivated us to keep on top of the washing a bit better! We have noticed if there are multiple dishwasher loads to put on delaying the dishwasher to avoid peak so it finishes around 8 or 9 is too late though, as the motivation to empty and refill it at that time on the night rate or EV rate just isnt there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Looks like Bord Gais EV rate is the most competitive. Fair enough, one less cheap ev hour than Energia but cheaper night rate after 11pm. An extra 100e standing charge isn't much when spread across the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,293 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Bord Gais EV plan standing charge is high. €100 a year more expensive than Energia EV plan.

There's a gouging rate, sorry I mean peak rate 😎. None, with Energia.

The EV rate is slightly lower with Bord Gais, 7c V 7.5c with Energia, but it's an hour less.

Day rate with Bord Gais also slightly lower, 28c v 33c.

Depending on your usage its definitely worth crunching the numbers.

Advertisement