Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options
1154155156157158160»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Sure. But (like our household aswell) we'd cook but also do chores as to get them out of the way. But loading machines up and having them ready for 11:01pm, then its really only cooking and a kettle and only for two hours. Load shifting is a mindset. Something I'll be making sure to get into on a new plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Energypal is the best site going, upload your data and it tells you straight away who'll suit your usage. I deliberately charge my car at 11pm to see will it ever recommend an EV or smart plan, it hasn't done yet. It recommends the Yuno 24hr plan for me, I'm staying with my Flogas 24hr as it's 2c cheaper per kWh. It doesn't list the Flogas affinity plan as it's restricted.

Yeah, the extra hour can suit those folks who have large batteries where they can charge them up during that period and then use that over the course of the day instead of pulling from the grid. There are others who sell back to the grid from their large battery banks and still have enough between the batteries and the solar generation to cover the the house needs of that day and evening. Then rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I really dislike those comparison sites. The process is opaque and you don't get to compare rates in a way that could help you change your habits or even do a few 'what ifs' to make an informed decision.

Why they don't just list all the suppliers and their various rates clearly is beyond me.

I like it. For me though, I have only recently got an EV and normally use Oil for Hotwater. So Myenergypal wont have factored those requirements into the reading of the HDF. Just uploaded the last month to energypal and it tells me Electric Ireland (Home Electric +Saver 24% discount) is the best, then closely followed by Yuno.

But it is great to show you your day/peak and night usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭fafy

and take into account Bord Gais d/n tarriff has a standing charge of €326, that is €91 higher per annum for (Urban)Day/Night, than Energia Smart Drive smart plan - €237.

Energia also pay 24.00 cent versus 18.50 cent from BG for export, but will only impact PV people. 6.50 cent is a big difference.

It is Individual Circumstances/usage dependant, as always.

Energypal isn't a traditional comparison site. It's personalised to your individual meter and yes it shows the rates of every supplier in a very clear layout. Give it a try.

I use oil for hot water haven't used the immersion in over 20 years. Not using the immersion would show in your meter usage. Try to keep the EV charging to the same time and over time it will be factored in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

let's not forget ESD is a "Smart" plan so taking it loses the D/N option forever, folks with multiple EVs or Heat Pumps better off sitting on the fence with current best D/N option

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

agreed,

the only reason i have not moved off D/n to a smart plan, is i am still waiting on a battery price and to finalise the battery size i am getting - which depends on the price, but once i have that nailed down, and have an install date, the smart plan is definitely the best option for me, with a 7.8 kwpv array. I’d ideally like to get a 10 or 15 kWh battery. 5 kWh pointless for me, with a Heat Pump.

Either:

Pinergy - Lifestyle EV Drivetime- Smart tariff (5.45 c inc vat for 3 hours), standing charge €283, export rate 25 cent

or

Energia - Smart Drive- Smart tariff(7.45 c inc vat for 4 hours), standing charge €237, export rate 24 cent

but these only make sense with a large PV array & a large battery, so if i can wangle a 15kWh battery i’d be self sufficient for most of the year, charging battery at low night rate, powering house off battery only for most of the year, and exporting the bulk of what i produce, so this rules out BG EV Smart as export rate is too low, standing charge too high, although ev rate is good.

• Advertisement

I've no PV yet and wont be anything substantial for the next 12-18 months. I know my car and heating water will be my biggest unit usage.

What is your current D/N tariff rate, may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

I was calculating the saving you're getting by charging your car at that 8c rate versus the average night rate from other providers. Roughly 10c/kWh and since it's only 4 hours, that saving is limited to the maximum a home charger can run (7.2kW) so it's 7.2 x 4 = 29kWh @ 10c saving roughly €3.

So the most you can save by charging the car at that time (2-6) is saving you €3, but the rest of the time your electricity is eating up that saving at a rate of 9 hours of 1kWh usage or 1 hour of 9kW or 3 hours at 3kW.

Basically you're the one funding the "saving". Probably many times over.

Does that explain?

am on Energia Day/night rate tariff currently, 20 % off, so day rate 33.40 inc vat, & night rate 9 hours of , 16.02 inc vat, we have circa 55 % of night rate, so the average blended rate is 23.90, standing charge of €294.40 inc vat per annum.

if you have, electric showers, these will be one of your top 3 usage points. I don’t t have any, got rid of them in 2010.

I am currently, on Energia Day/night rate tariff currently, 20 % off, so day rate 33.40 inc vat, & night rate 9 hours of , 16.02 inc vat, we have circa 55 % of night rate, so the average blended rate is 23.90 inc vat, standing charge of €294.40 inc vat per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Where are you getting 10c/kwh as “the average night rate from other providers” ?

We have electric shower in the en-suite as a backup to the pump shower in main bathroom when there isn't enough hotwater. Which is why I want to start using the immersion more since its there and to compliment the oil. Will be a number of years before considering an alternative to oil. 250ltr triple coil tank, not going with tubes so will move oil down to bottom coil to heat entire tank and then keep it topped up with immersion.

So for our household, the following would be my rough estimation on comparing a D/N tariff to BG's EV smart tariff:

I will use ~4500 units for the house, ~3400 for immersion and ~6800 for the car in a year.

Energia D/N
    Standing Charge of €294.40
    3400 units * 0.16c = €544.68 to heat water on D/N Night rate.
    6800 units * 0.16c = €1089.36 to charge car on D/N Night rate.

Move 20% of 4500 day units to after 11pm (Dishwasher/Washer/Dryer) = 900 units * 16c = €144

Remainder day units of 3600 units * 0.334e = €1202 for house usage on D/N Day rate.
    Total = ~€3275 at a discounted rate on D/N

BD EV Rate ('Smart' Plan)
    Standing Charge of €325
    3400 units * 0.07c = €238 to heat water on Bord Gais EV Smart Rate (2-5am).
    6800 units * 0.07c = €476 to charge car on Bord Gais EV Smart Rate (2-5am).
    Move 20% of 4500 day units to after 11pm (Dishwasher/Washer/Dryer) = 900 units * 20.93c = €188.37
    ~20% of remainder 3600 to be used daily during 5pm-7pm = 720 units * 38.71c = €278.71
    Leaves me with remainder daily household units of 2880 * 27.76c = €799
    Total = ~€2305

Use the next 12-18 months to get my DIY solar project up and running and focus on FIT with whatever smart plan I have then.

Post edited by bunderoon on

Just looking at the EV cost (used to have a diesel up until a few weeks ago), I used to buy about €40 of diesel a week where with the EV rate, it works out at about €9.20 a week.

50 weeks * €40 = €2000

versus

50 weeks * €9.20 = €460

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Nice saving on fuel. And on servicing no doubt.

When the initial cost of the cars comes back a bit more, more people will move. Most people aren't willing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Something similar here. I went from paying 50 euro + per week in petrol for the mercedes C Class. Now with the Peugeot 2008 EV i get free charging in work, so its down to 0. HAPPY DAYS

my question is. I want to get the home charger in case of emergencies. I have no idea where to start, Currently on PrePay power and I don't know if i have a smart meter. I think i do.

Both myself and the missue work from home 50% of the time, so day/night rates would be even enough. What do you guys recommend for that situation. Baring in mind I might now have free charging much longer.

No thanks, being tortured once is enough…

It baffles me how people can make something that's so simple and straightforward so complicated.

Then why did you ask? And the answer is savings, not costs.

I never asked you anything, stupidly I thought it was worth reading 😏

And I'll save more by not having to go into them! Coffees, rubbish & sandwiches etc

Advertisement