Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mol88

It's residency that count.and if a cow is on a hundred owners moves or residencies doesn't make a bit of difference no QA on a cow and same you will see people afraid to buy p cattle on five moves again no QA to be got doesn't make a difference.but if a dealer has a few cattle stuck in a nice group of 28 month old r grade with 5 moves it will tell you and you deduct ur bid accordingly.other wise the mart would be liable.its up to you to read board and bid accordingly.bass will fill on more.also if buying breeding cows you will know if homebred or bought and days in herd will give a fair idea of system they are coming out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The only thing bigger than that yearling is the balls on the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

HOW MANY MOVEMENTS ARE ALLOWED?

Bord Bia place NO RESTRICTIONS on the number of movements a bovine has had, for it to be deemed Quality Assured.

Any movement restrictions applied are solely at the discretion of the Meat Plant and these restrictions may even differ between competing Meat Plants.

It is YOUR responsibilty to check this prior to taking your cattle to factory

Taken from : https://www.agridata.ie/BLQASFAQ.html#:~:text=How%20Many%20Movements%20are%20Allowed,to%20be%20deemed%20Quality%20Assured.

QA bonus. is where it applies.quality assurance means nothing most beef exported and it's not actually a bonus it's actually a penalty for all stock that dont meet spec.but calling it a bonus sounds better.if you have inspec cattle and no bodbia you will get a better base price.keep bodbia in jobs.think about it.real world stuff.

Also it's bodbia setting QA bonus rules not factory.you can make your own deal with factory they are a private business and don't have to kill any animals next week if they want.factory spec cattle to what their customers want.be it cows or cattle.he who pays the piper calls the tune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭limo_100

I have 6 light CH weanlings maybe jul-aug born about 250-300kg they are sucking the cows and have access to a creep feeder have being doing very well. I was thinking to wean them let them out for 6 weeks and then sell them - im just concerned that will they lose weight letting them out or lose there shape and they are all well ended stock by taking a fit of growing? what do people think? I have some good grass that would hold them for 6weeks along with the feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I sold similar aged bulls out of the shed last year and did well. You could wean now and sell beginning of April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭limo_100

Its a shed space issue that I would be turning them out for also as I don't have the space to pen them separately and with cows starting to calf and ground in bits I might turn them out for 6 weeks just wouldn't want them to go back on me is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

I wouldn’t be letting them out for six weeks, just sell them in a week or two off the cows, don’t think you’ll gain anything by keeping them any longer, calves like them are flying in the marts at the moment are they not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes sell then now off the cows. If they are good quality the likes of them could make anything up to €4 / kg as they are a flying trade. They aren't going to make anyone in 6 weeks. Maybe check to see if you need to weight them & the cows before you sell them for any of the suckler schemes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just a sample of USA stores mart prices.😎

From  Can It Get Any Higher?? - YouTube

Approx 12 mins in, poorish Angus males.

834 pounds $2560 = 3.1 $/pound

378kgs and €2,340  = 6.19€/Kg

Are my calculations right?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭893bet

Not too many singles going threw that mart……

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Noticed an add for Wagyu cows and heifers for sale in Carnew today after the event.

Had a look at the catalogue. WAX 2 year old heifers selling for less than a FR equivalent factory heifer. Feb 22 heifer 410 kgs, 920 euro.

There's no price premium at the mart sales for eating quality.

The seller hadn't a local name either. I'd say he got some shock in the economics of mart selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ya I see a few blow ins at the mart in skibb. I think they probably tried a bit of livestock farming. They had an imported Galloway bull. The buyers around the ring would not be long teaching, the economics of beef farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ear to the ground is probably reading this now with their ears pricked.

If the wagyus were advertised a bit more than the two days previous on fb. I'd say there would have been more interest from private buyers to finish for their own tables.

The Belted Galloway are lovely looking cattle. I walk through them up around the Burren.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I had two and that was three too many. They get pushed too far in the marts. Having said that I saw a few BH calves off Fleckveigh cows last week ( along with HE and AA) all AI sired and I ve happy with them, however the AA were the pick of them, the BH were a bit too fleshy as calves.

The farmer however pointed out the BG were the quickest calf to get up and suck.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Getting out of cows - had a horrendous winter and I'm done. What would nice chx cows with new calves at foot out of a pure bred ch be expected to make at the moment? Thinkng of selling them in ones and twos over the next few weeks if price was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

How many cows are you selling? Good quality Sucklers with calves at foot for sale are scarce. If you sell them in ones and twos they’ll be bought by the miserable cow dealers who won’t give too much for them. Selling them all the same day might be better and advertising them on done deal also might get get more farmer interest. I’d be thinking €2K plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭50HX

Don't jump without a plan.

What age are the calves

Will you have to replace with alternative stock if so may not make much sense selling the lot.

After weaning I fattened the cows & factory

I now have their off spring to finish off of grass nxt year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

2k plus for anything reasonable and 3k if you’ve something fancy with power. Good sucklers aren’t there at the moment and it’s not too promising looking going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Stationmaster I would say after this winter a lot of farmers would be assessing their current position to see if there is an easier way. Livestock farmers feeding animals in a shed for 6 months isn't appealing. Tillage farmers not being able to plant crops is a serious problem for them.

I like what I do, I make a few euro out of it as a supplement to my full work. But I have but in more work this year on my farm just to stand still than I have over the previous 5 years since I took over the farm. I normally calf my cows end of March start of April in a wee padock that gets well ploughed. This padock is a disaster this year. Its like a duck pond, so I have moved to a dryer field. It's working but it's a bit further from the yard for check them or if something goes wrong. So now do I calf my cows later in 2025 (not ideal as weanling would be small for the shed in November) or do I build a shed to hold 20 freshly calved cows. That's a big investment that would be hard to justify. Will probably just try to do as normal over the next 12 months and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

This has been a woeful 10 months (since Mid June) which hopefully we’ll not experience for another decade (2012 & spring 2013 was tough too). Or maybe next year will be as bad, we don’t know. Try your best

Decide what you intend doing instead as @50HX posted. If you take to the mart be prepared to bring them home. In a way you have the hard part done the calves are born. Let's the cows do the work rear the calves. If the dealer's buy them.they will split them and finish or slaughter the cows.

If you wean the calves in late June you will.finish those cows by year end.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Good cow and calf units are scarce in the marts at present, best thing talk to the mart owner/ manager describe what type of stock for sale and most will advertise a sale now on Facebook and tik tok etc, if you’re fed up of cows best to sell with calf at foot and no messing weaning and trying to finish cows, have a neighbour looking for 10 incalf cows or heifers for the last 6 weeks and has only picked up two so far due to his bull being lame and empty cows which he sold in January at good money,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭older by the day

You might want to give a quick ring to the accountant first. You sell 20 cows and calves and you are working as well say 40000. It will be a great day, for sickly Simon when you are paying your tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mr..

Maybe sell half the cows, keep the youngest ones, as is mentioned here time and again its very time consuming going to marts buying stock. With regards putting up a shed, ull have it for ever, i dont think anyone ever regretted putting one up or saying a smaller one would have done.

€5/kg is a fair price for weanlings.

• Advertisement

They be scarce but that is no indication that they will average decent prices, older cows especially.some may hit or go over 2K but there will be units there that will only 12-1400 euro.

Unless he is planning to give up farming completely he should maje up his mind on tge new system before he goes further.

You should not need to ring the accountant, you shoukd be able to look at your 2022 account and see end of year stock values. They will not have changed substantially.

Having said that unless he retires from farming completely he will have to replace them, unless he repla es them with cheap young animals his tax liability not be substantial

Suckkers on decent land are a break even operation for most farmers and have been for years. There is no point half biting the bullet, the pain remain much the same and tge figures are disapproving all the time.

Going to calf to beef operation if time is tight to pick up cattle is a good option. Presuming OP has approx 50 acres he could run a 30-50 calf to beef operation depending on the system he chooses. Calves are and will be easy buying for a while as are young cattle up to about 15 months if you choose the right buying time and focus on profit not what cattle look like

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement