Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks - using a motion sensor to check for postbox opening.. so i know to check for deliveries if im out etc.. was thinking could turn on a hue light to a certain colour or something to notify post has been delivered? I've no problem setting up HA automations just trying to think of a sensible thing to do - can you send an email from HA handy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

You could set up a push notification to your phone. I have a few automations that notify me that way.

thanks yeah thats all i need really. it would push to the home assistant app?

got that working with a hue motion sensor and automation in ha.. works a charm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Shoog

I have an issue which is going to turn into a life sucker.

I recently accepted a set up Home Assistant updates and this included the ESPHome plugin. All my devices on ESPHome upgraded and then I noticed that one of them had broken. What seems to have happened is the update changed the name of the device to something entirely random and then promptly stopped talking to the device. The update seems to have made the device drop off the network as well so I thought the best way to get it back was to reflash the Firmware and this worked in getting it back on the network - but nothing appeared in the ESPHome addon. I suspect this is an issue with it having generated a new API for the device in the random assigned update. I had a similar experience before and I had to use the ESPHome website to recover the device - but I can no longer remember the procedure.

UPDATE: I have now managed to get it to appear in the ESPHome addon - but it wont configure because the API doesn't seem to match (the API is in the YAML file but its not using it). As I said before I suspect this is because once HomeAssistant has associated a MAC address with an API it will not allow the API to change and will never forget that API going forward.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not an ESPHone user, but have a snoop/grep around /config/.storage - there might be some references to the old devices/MAC addresses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Final getting time to check why my gate automation is not working. Any help?

id: '1694451677077'
    alias: Gate Triggered by entering 300m zone
    description: ''
    trigger:

• platform: zone
      entity_id: person.FIRSTNAME_SECONDNAME
      zone: zone.approaching_home_300m
      event: enter
    • platform: zone
      entity_id: person.FIRSTNAME_SECONDNAME
      event: enter
    • platform: device
      device_id: f37cfbace46812aa9b4f768e5c95er78e
      domain: device_tracker
      entity_id: 9bdf029d01386b1adaa6b64f999e0b6b
      type: enters
    • platform: device
      device_id: b81f54e1a77c3eedd3cf1d0b36605f7e
      entity_id: 3f8ed3b29b4ecf62002da2eff5fb8622
      type: enters
      condition: []
      action:
    • device_id: 0bb4fba9e328ab3175225d08df63c2c8
      domain: cover
      entity_id: 2200e482835d7893bd5adcf23f039402
      type: open
      type: close
      mode: single
    • id: '1694674515839'
      alias: 'P brake release, gate open '
      description: ''
      trigger:
      • platform: state
        entity_id:
        • binary_sensor.model_y_ma_parking_brake
          to: 'off'
          for:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 1
          attribute: attribution
          condition:
      • condition: device
        device_id: 7c604d9f43bdf8e56d946f25a1d714cf
        entity_id: 6f87162d9da4529b9696e9f77add4c45
        type: is_home
        action:
        type: open
        type: close
        mode: single

This was working but stopped after HA stopped after an extended powercut (IP changed i think)

Would device IDs or similar have changed during same powercut?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are you using a VPN to connect your mobile into the home WiFi network or how is the connectivity happening between the mobile and the server? Or do you just have the HA cloud enabled?

I have a setup with cloudfare tunnel. Would not be expert in this setup - followed instructions.

😎

• Advertisement

And is that tunnel still connecting? Do the sensors for the devices / people show that they are being detected at the gate? And then the same for that parking brake sensor.

hi yes, in the logs I can see phone detected, parking brake detected etc at the correct times

😎

Then you probably need to look at the traces for the automation to work out what's going wrong.

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/automation/troubleshooting/

Configuration warningsInvalid config for 'proximity' at configuration.yaml, line 41: value must be one of [<UnitOfLength.FEET: 'ft'>, <UnitOfLength.KILOMETERS: 'km'>, <UnitOfLength.METERS: 'm'>, <UnitOfLength.MILES: 'mi'>, <UnitOfLength.YARDS: 'yd'>] for dictionary value 'proximity->homezone_1km->unit_of_measurement', got 'km on'

😎

Seems there has been some changes impacting units, and a new integration for proximity too. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/proximity-sensors-2024-not-working/708763

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andydurnin

Just got my home assistant green about 1 week ago. What would be the best things to do with it when starting out with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭paulbok

Start with your lights and any smart switches you have. They are as straightforward to setup as they get (for the majority of manufacturer's anyways). Once you get your head around those, then start adding other sensors and devices.

Then start thinking as to what automations you want for your house, this part is, for me, the toughest part as I can never decide on what rules I want to apply, and often change some of them.

As you start adding devices, have a think as to your layout and how you want them all to display on your phone/ tablet. Check out Everything Smarthome on YouTube, he has a few videos reviewing some fantastic looking dashboards, some insanely complex but many are achievable for a beginner.

Finally find out how to backup and restore your setup, and do it regularly, esp after adding a load of devices or automations. Mistakes are quite easy to make at the start, or even after a few years😬, so you will be so glad of having a recent backup saved to your laptop that you can easily restore if you F up.

Advertisement