Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Mine was about 5 years ago now that I think of it. They just frustrated me with claims of open till you got in to actually trying to get it to talk to anything else hardware or software wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Speaking of Ring equipment, do you still need a subscription with them to be able to use all functionality of cameras in HA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

got grafana working...now im hooked!

😎

As far as I know yes.... I plan to eventually migrate to reolink doorbell and cameras.... the alarm is just a matter of pairing the ring sensors to HA via z wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

• Advertisement

video emaherx?

Anyone with gates? what triggers work for opening gates when leaving house? I am thinking the car starting - is that possible?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's crazy-smart stuff. How is the dose measured, I don't get that part?

I need a steer on this lads if anybody has an idea:

I need to create a binary_sensor which changes state momentarily based on a trigger. So let's say that the humidity in a room is greater then 75%, I want the binary_sensor to change from on to off momentarily every 3 mins while the condition is true. I can't for the life of me work out how to trigger this in a loop, I've tried playing around with automatons but they all end up being once-off events 3 mins after the initial condition is true and don't repeat.

So: if humidity gt 75%, pulse a binary_sensor for 1sec once every 3 mins.

Change it to a helper input Boolean...

You can then use a "while" action by picking repeat and then the while repeat type and adding the condition that needs to stay true for it to keep looping.

Trigger

Humidity>75%

Action

Repeat - While humidity>75%

Input Boolean on

Delay 1s

Input Boolean off

Delay 180s

Not sure it's a great video demonstration but...

Basically if the bottle is turned upside-down the "Keppra Given sensor" changes from false to true and if not true by a certain time a notification is sent.

It can be a busy house in the morning with 2 parents trying to get 3 children to 2 different schools, the youngest has epilepsy and it's important that we medicate her before school and at bedtime. The Alert says check if medication was given if the sensor is false, so it's "check with other parent" as this is a backup/reminder and don't want to have medicated her twice either if HA for whatever reason didn't report correctly.

The sensor only reports true if turned completely upside-down which it needs to be in order to draw out the dose, so if someone goes rooting for paracetamol in the morning and moves the bottle out of the way they won't accidently trip the sensor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On your car idea, it's totally possible there are probably OBD2 attachments that could utilize or a simple sensor that plugs into the 12V socket or a USB socket that turns on/off with the car. Or just stick a smart button to the dash.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

I could not find the "while" type under "repeat type" for the longest time. I have this now:

alias: Ensuite Humidity Stays High
    description: ""
    trigger:
     - platform: numeric_state
       entity_id: sensor.sensor_2_humidity_sensor
       for:
         hours: 0
         minutes: 3
         seconds: 0
       above: 77
    condition: []
    action:
     - repeat:
         while:
           - condition: numeric_state
             entity_id: sensor.sensor_2_humidity_sensor
             above: 77
         sequence:
           - service: switch.turn_on
             target:
               entity_id: input_boolean.ensuite_humidity_stays_high
             data: {}
           - delay:
               milliseconds: 1500
           - service: switch.turn_off
             target:
               entity_id: input_boolean.ensuite_humidity_stays_high
             data: {}
    mode: single

I'll have to go breathe on the sensor now to see if it triggers. 😁

It's not and doesn't need to be, the dose is drawn up by a parent, but just sends a reminder if it's detected that the bottle was not turned over to draw out the dose. If it was needed for say an elderly person who is still independent but needs monitoring then I guess a weight sensor may make more sense.

Oh, I get you now! I thought that this was a component within a dosing system for animals. 🤣

😂

Well to be fair, that would be my usual form. Sometimes I build stuff for home too 😁.

It should be fine. What's that input Boolean a trigger for out of curiousity?

Been toying with getting humidity sensors and making extractor fans smart myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Was going to suggest using the Companion App bluetooth sensor, but that isn't available on iPhone either it seems.

I don't suppose your car has an API? I have my car integrated with HA and can get all sorts of stats like lock/unlock status, running status, SOC etc. I have an automation to remind me to lock the car it is at home at not locked etc.

I thought it was auto dozing for cows too - didn't seem the small print just the photo. Your use case is even more clever though and important though. Does anything like this exist? In my mind that is something worth patenting and has huge potential if it doesnt already exist?

As for my measly gates, small smart button could be the answer. We do have a fob but it's inevitable in a pocket or bag when needed. Small smart button left in car would solve it. Caveat though for anyone brainstorming this too- might want to hide it as a fob or button to open gate in plain sight makes life easier for a thief.

😎

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Another possibility avenue is to stick a programmable NFC tag to the dash and scan it to open the gate on the way in/out.

I wonder if Tesla has sensor for brake release, that would be the ideal trigger if it was relayed fast enough. Probably still on home WiFi at that point too.

im sure I saw speed sensor so that may work again if it's fast enough to update, "3kph and increasing in home zone"

😎

I don't have a Tesla, but this suggests handbrake sensor might be an option.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have that integration, and it does have parking brake sensor. The challenge is the update speed.

The standard is every 10 minutes actually, for polling the car/tesla server. This can be reduced to a matter of seconds, but triggers to reduce and reset must be done very well, otherwise risk of causing battery drain!!! So I could set faster polling when car door opens until I leave home zone, for example, however I am not sure it will see car door is open for up to 10 minutes!!

I wonder now if my CCTV will read the number plate when car enters a certain zone on the screen, and that could trigger gate opening for departure.

😎

Does it need to read the plate?

If car moves, open gate.

Or car moves to certain zone open gate. Could be useful for guests leaving too, presumably no unauthorised cars are on your property when the gates were closed.

Also depending on the gates it may well be trivial enough to over ride them manually once inside the property anyway meaning the smart button is not that big of a security risk. Plus can be hidden under dash.

Can you get HA to display on cars screen when it starts?

no, tesla have that locked, that would solve many issues. I must check via browser though!!

😎

Reports from the internet say it can be accessed via the Tesla's browser. But I guess it's only useful if you can create a shortcut or have it open someway when the car starts.

Even my crappy Dacia can access via a browser app on Android Auto.

It's a control for a dehumidifier within an ensuite.

It has three inputs:

1. If the RH is rising quickly (using a trend sensor).
    2. If the RH is above a set level (77%).
    3. If the absolute humidity in the ensuite is more than 10% greater than the average absolute humidity of the other rooms upstairs.

If any or all of these inputs are triggered the dehumidifier will run for 15 mins on a resetable timer. It will shut-off if the RH drops to 3% less than the average upstairs absolute humidity. That way I'm not over-drying the room and I'm not battling with the ambient RH in the upstairs of the house.

I'm cheating somewhat in terms of how I manage the dehumidifier - I'm not using node-red yet so I have employed Blacky's Sensor Light blueprint script to take the three inputs and turn the dehumidifier on. It also allows me to set other controls such as date/time and over-rides, so it's handy in that respect.

How is all of this automation it better than just leaving the dehumidier to do it's thing? Firstly the dehumidifier sits on the floor and doesn't trigger until the moist air has come down to its level. That causes a very slow reaction time to showers and can also leave very damp air at head-height level for hours. Also the dehumidifier was cycling often and over-drying the room every 30 mins due to hysteresis, and this was causing it to consume around 1kWh per day. Now it's only switching on around 10 times per day and the consumption is down a bit (around 0.7kWh). But the key thing is that it's cycling a lot less.

I also have a simple trend sensor which is operating an (bathroom) extractor fan within the kitchen. It's wired up to a Sonoff with a temp/RH sensor and it's just the best thing ever. It can detect when a kettle boils at the far side of the kitchen within around 10 seconds and turn on the fan to remove some of the moisture. It has been rock-solid now for 2 years.

- platform: trend
       sensors:
         humidity_kitchen_rising:
           entity_id: sensor.sonoff_kitchen_humidity
           sample_duration: 60
           max_samples: 30
           min_gradient: 0.01666
           device_class: moisture
           # Percent / seconds = gradient
           # 5 / 180 = 0.0277 (5% over 3 mins)
           # 5% over 5 mins = 0.016666667 
           # 7% over 5 mins = 0.023333333
           # https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/trend/

I guess I could do with a second Git user profile for non farming projects 😂

That's cool I'll have to refer back to this, planning on something similar for my own bathrooms.

I finally figured out how to make Home Assistant Addons from existing Docker images.

https://github.com/Farmer-Eds-Shed/Home-Assistant-Addon-Repo/tree/main

So I made 2.

• NTFY - A notification Server
    • ruuvi-go-gateway - Gateway for Ruuvi BLE Tags.

Makes some other projects a bit neater to have all dependencies managed by Home Assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

As others suggested use refurb mini pc. A cheapo i5 with 8G ram and 120G ssd. Look on Amazon, adverts.ie, ebay etc

Wipe windows and install Debian.

Can then run supervise Homeassistant in docker.

Alternatively use Virtualbox, download the image for Homeassisant.

Or if you have an old pc use it.

In my case I moved from raspberry pi to my old pc. Have Homeassistant running in Virtualbox.

Also have sdr dongle running. This pulls data from my Personal Weather station to Homeassistant using mqtt as well as a couple of docker images.

With a PC you have more options available.

Advertisement