Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself? [Threadbanned users in 1st post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

A thread popped up earlier on the main page about driving tests being cancelled because the green part of the insurance cert had discoloured. It was such a random title that I just had to click into it.
    The thread was 4 pages long. It was first posted in in 2021 and the last post was from someone who had experienced the same issue today. A few people, including myself, posted after them.

I saw a new post a couple of hours ago and when I clicked into it…… the thread has been nuked. I don’t even know what forum it was in. Seems nonsensical to me as there wasn’t many posts in it (took me 10 minutes to read) and it highlighted a crazy but legal and costly issue that people are not aware of.

Deleting threads like that does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, let zombie threads run if someone is interested, I think I've already said that. A mod note telling someone not to post in an old thread looks awful, especially if it's a new poster who probably found the thread via Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, that's one thing I've never really got. Let the threads fall back into obscurity of their own accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’ve got some really good advice from people on certain forums, mainly about the house / garden some people went out if their way to send personal mails with their recommendations / experiences and that is most helpful. I also like the food forum and love watching what others cook and the recipes.

There is a need for more positivity to drive traffic through the site, the Wokeism thread was just negative bashing people and even here, the trans digs are painful and not necessary.

I also feel “don’t be a dick” is subjective and open to interpretation from everyone’s viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Exactly. Either let the thread run or if it’s that big a deal, enable autolocking of threads after a certain period of time.

• Advertisement

I will say that some zombie threads are better off closed and if the topic is worth discussing start a new thread.

You’ll find people joining in but not actually realising it’s an old thread then arguing with something that was said years ago. Also portions may be completely out of date or irrelevant.

I’d usually just close it off if it’s inclined to fall into the above or the reply is irrelevant and just some lost soul.

It was deleted though so there’s absolutely no evidence of it ever existing. Did anyone see the thread I’m talking about and do they know what forum it was posted in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

It was here but as you said it vanished. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058194469/driving-test-cancelled-due-to-the-disc-strip-is-faded-from-green-to-blue/p2

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I saw it too, I remembered it from first time around and clicked into it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

These are examples of low level trolling of another poster imo , discussing them in a cowardly way.

How is their threadban being lifted any of your business ,?

Others have been similarly reversed for worse infractions .

I know who you are referring to now and so do others It's very unfair on them . where is their right of reply ?

And people then wonder why they get actioned for trolling? Beggars belief ..this is just the sort of bullying that is driving good posters from boards !

Posting it here to get a dig in at someone who is unaware they are being discussed like this , hopefully without getting sanctioned .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,807 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

There is a need for more positivity to drive traffic through the site

I 100% agree. The amount of negativity on the site and in this thread is astounding. We've had 33 pages of negativity here. I asked for some positive suggestions and I'm not sure it even got to a full page before people dragged it back down with negativity again.

Being happy and just having a bit of craic seems to be something that most people have lost. Angry people preferring to be angry and making those around them angry.

I'm not really sure that there's any cure for that particular blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Shoog

It seems this thread has descended to complaining about the mods by the usual suspects with a persecution complex.

My first ever reason for posting on boards is when I was looking to an answer to a question and google led me here. That was back in 2010.

I have no idea if the person who resurrected that thread today was a new poster or not as I took no notice. They said their child had their driving test cancelled by the tester on the day of the test. Did that poster go to google and follow a link to that thread? Did they register with boards to ask the question? If they did, then they’re not being enticed to stay and look around at what more boards.ie has to offer them.

How can boards function as a business if it rejects customers?

Like the thread I posted about a few pages back where the thread was closed with no reason given and a moderator being able to post in the closed thread 8 hours after it was closed, no explanations given. It's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Packrat

You know, the great thing about the site is that we can all have opinions, and nobody has to agree with them or care what anyone else thinks of them.

I posted as I believe to be true. You disagree. That's ok.

I really don't care what you think of me or my opinions.

Defending your friend is generally a noble admirable thing. Sometimes one should look at that friend's behaviour first though.

Edit to add. You friend can reply here if they so wish, i doubt they are threadbanned here.

I've told your friend exactly what I think of them and (quite rightly) had my own threadban for that in the past. So nothing "cowardly" going on here.

Now, an admin has said they'll look into it, and that's enough for me.

The thread has moved on. This is all dragging it off topic.

Let's not carry this on pls.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭archfi

Slim the whole site forum structure down, way too overcomplicated. Keep archive for posterity and reference.

Contact DigitalSpy (the only other Vanilla forum I know of) and get some advice from them in particular for their mobile site - way more traffic and their mobile site actually works properly.

Stop doing ^^ (like the several examples above) for zero reason shutting down benign threads, is there a quota to be reached or what? Let threads run their course naturally.

Yes, Wokeism thread cancellation was handled pathetically and made me consider whether it was woth sticking around. I'd prefer it be open to comments if resurrected as false wokeisms and ridiculous anti-wokeisms are good to be critiqued. The permanently offended can keep away if they so choose.

On the plus side, I enjoy the tv/radio/film/bargains forums and get some good advice from some others elsewhere ranging from broadband/networks to plumbing so yes, boards is worth staying around for IF the issues outlined on this thread are even looked at and acted on from all angles. CA/politics threads - I now mainly read and thank occasionally as the continuing resident plague of ideologues/lowlevel trolls (from all 'sides') are too painful to engage with.

Also, maybe institute a site improvement roadmap and have a structured open forum for various suggestions on different aspects of improving the site for users and for promoting it/new users. I know there has been two threads since the changeover (mainly pointing out the mess) but they never had structure to them. Oh, and keep users/contributors informed if asking for suggestions and finally get rid of the overcomplication of death by PMing moderation and the general administrative overcomplication of everything!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Murt2024

Nah I seen posters with 6000 posts and Beasty acting the smart ass with them, thinking he was trying to outsmart them and they never returned. A lot of posters outsmarted him and he couldn't take it and they got immediate bans or they left for good on their accord. Told Beasty to shove there account up his ****.

Two things have killed this site, giving a lad in his 60's some what power and the new Vanilla Skin

-----------------------------------------

Individuals will not be discussed on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It's not all down to just "angry people preferring to be angry". I find that very dismissive.

Many of the same issues have being brought up, again and again, by different posters, independant of each other.

We can't all be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Murt2024

Its like the song####

I've been the year 2000, not much has changed but boards still lives underwater

Its unreal, I get the mods are probably all in their 50's or late 40's but times changes owners.

We can't all be wrong

You can all be angry though.

• Advertisement

Any chance of the closed threads and disappearing threads with no explanations being addressed? If possible can you explain how a moderator could post in a thread closed 8 hours before their post as well?

Moderators can post in closed threads.

All feedback in this thread will be looked at in the moderators forums. It's not just the userbase who would like to see some changes on the site.

Thanks, I also asked Mike last year but nothing was done that I can see if the list of moderators could be updated because a lot are now gone if that could be looked at.

Fair enough, I can see I'm wasting my time here.

I must say, that attitude doesn't exactly inspire my confidence that anything will ever really change.

Has to be said, there are lots of sycophants on this thread as well, not just negative or angry people who want to bash mods.

Ezeoul, I could say I'm wasting my time too. You have not posted one positive comment on this thread. I have given a lot of time to addressing points raised and bringing suggestions to moderators and admins. I have engaged with I think pretty much everyone who has posted on this thread over the past week.

At one stage every post I made you replied trying to twist it to something that I didn't say. Today when asked for 1 positive thing you like about the site you couldn't name it. I could quite easily say you have been posting in bad faith on this entire thread and trying to engage with you on any sort of meaningful level is a complete waste of time. Low-level trolling I think you call it. Your general attitude to the site and on-threads doesn't exactly inspire my confidence that anything said here or any changes made will ever change your opinion of the site. You have no interest in the site, you have no interest in being a positive presence on the site and and you have no interest in making a positive contribution to the site.

Yet you are here, all day every day making yourself miserable.

I have received invaluable information on numerous threads here and hope I have given some back to others and have about 30 odd threads I have bookmarked which are fairly active from food/renewable energy/bargains/motors/diy and so on and try to contribute as best I can. I think in my latest reincarnation here I received a couple of warnings and maybe a couple of thread bans which I got removed via PM with mods.

It's not the worst of sites but needs a hell of a lot of work to be done from everyone from members and the powers that be to keep it flowing without a lot of the bitching that goes on. I hope it survives for a long time to go. That's my positive of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's a pity the prison forum is gone though, I'm sure there's plenty of 'feedback' there

Much like the dispute resolution forum, I know there's useful feedback there that's been ignored (probably from angry posters being angry tbf, but if you haven't been on the wrong end of a moderator decision, you hardly have relevant feedback to give)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭REDBULL68

Indeed, this is a public forum ,in a Republic which free speech is written in the constitution ,yet some here won't even let you talk about a case ,that is not in the Republics Jurisdiction, why ,technically its a different country, England has no problem talking about it or Ireland to that matter, so what's the problem, its either a discussion site or not .

Firstly, don't mistake having a browser open, for "being here all day every day".

You're not above turning things personal yourself now, I see. I have not made any personal remarks directed at either you, or any named mod on this thread - yet because I'm not sugar-coating things for you, or telling you what you want to hear, you're turning nasty with me because you don't like what I have to say.

Also, sorry if you don't like my posts elsewhere. Considering how infrequently I visit the personal issues forum, or how rarely you step outside of it, I'm surprised you even see them, let alone are in a position to judge me, and my contributions as basically, worthless. I have also never made any mention of "low level trolling". I never got involved in that part of the discussion at all and I don't tro. Some very low blows on your part.

I asked some questions, and gave my views here, honestly. Sorry (again) if you're taking offence on behalf of Boards for that. My mistake, I thought this was supposed to be an honest exchange of views. Instead, now you're turning it around and accusing me of posting in bad faith, trolling, and attacking me as a poster in general.

Thanks for proving to me that I'm not wrong, and this thread will turn out to be just another waste of time.

You're also right that I don't believe it will lead to any meaningful changes. Why should I believe that, when at every turn you are looking to shift blame to everyone except the moderation team for the problems that do exist?

I'll leave it at that. I'll expect the warning / threadban in my mailbox imminently.

Goodnight.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement