Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

All development was prohibited on the site. There was never ever any possibility they would be offered planning permission on the site. They would have known this at the outset.

They were taking the piss and sticking their two fingers up to everyone who followed the correct procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Planning decisions and reasons are in the public domain.

If the family end up homeless after demolishing the house, I'd guess that normal homeless provisions would kick in.

It's not about 'commuting patterns'. It's about car-bound lifestyles so that every trip is a car trip. Every school run, every shopping trip, every 'we've run out of milk' scenario, every playdate, every GAA training, every parent teacher meeting - every trip is a car trip. That's not sustainable.

Here's an update on the planet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

All of this is dragging the thread off topic, please stick to discussion of this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Lots of people out where im from building log cabins for their children to live in. Most of then give this house an an example ans say even if they can get 10 or 15 years before they are told to knock down their log cabin they are winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Meath CoCo can't CPO the site or just take and convert the house into flats. There are prescribed punishments for unauthorised development which Meath CoCo have to abide by, and that includes forcing the owners to demolish the property. Not only that but the cost for Meath to buy the house and convert it wouldn't be worth it, nor would the added costs if the owners objected to the CPO (which they surely would). The owners could say if the property is okay for Meath CoCo to purchase and use for housing, then the Council are ignoring their own grounds for not granting retention permission to the owners.

They should be forced to demolish the property. That's the only reasonable outcome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

It doesn't appear that Meath CoCo are abiding by those punishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I’d say if you come back to this thread in 2028 there will still be no update.

Meath Co Co are just hoping that house sinks into the bog!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Subscribers Posts: 41,132 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Expect another 8 months......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd reckon Meath CC hope ABP uohold the appeal and take the decision out of their hands.

The house is a blot on the landscape. A disgusting piece of architecture in my opinion. Still i wouldnt want to see a family turfed out. They should be told to know minimum 350sqm of it.

There should be no offering made. The house simply should not be there and they knew that in full when they built it (effectivelygiving the two fingers to the planning laws). Tear the whole feckin lot down and the family can live in a caravan somewhere legal for all I care!

I wouldnt like to see anyone homeless regardless. Knock it by the guts of 70%.

100% of it should not be there according to the planning regs so why would you allow them to keep some of it?

As for being homeless, I'm quite confident that this won't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

even 50% - they obviously have money considering they bought the land built the house and have been attending the 4 goldmines ever since battling to keep it.

I don’t like the situation- I think it was wrong what they did- but at this stage it’s a drain on taxpayers and the council have other worries -BUT- if a final agreement was drawn up that if they knocked a portion of the development, then that must be that- if they don’t, then knock the whole thing. Trust will be a big thing here for the end game - they must do what they sign up to do

I don’t see this ending any time soon tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

The current appeal is in her name.

If the appeal fails…..i guarantee the husband will submit an appeal in his name….Will add another year to this fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That would set an unwanted precedent. These people have spent years and years dragging it through every court and appeals process. If the Council/ABP/Courts just decide it's not worth the hassle and allow them to retain or make modifications/reductions to keep it, then a precedent is set. The next time someone tries to do the same thing, it won't be in the courts/appeals for so long because the first thing to happen will be "Well as per this case, these people were allowed to do XYZ so we should be afforded the same opportunity". And they'd be right.

These people abused the planning process, and are now abusing every appeals process to continuously drag the whole thing out. As much of a drain on time and resources as it is, the process has to be followed and the authorities shouldn't just kowtow to them. The council, ABP and courts have made their decisions, they need to follow through fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

Just out of interest how can Meath County Council pursue this (I believe they should) but Galway County Council are leaving the son of a councillor alone after he built with no planning - seems way too obvious to be purely political but maybe they're that blatant about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I would happily see these people homeless or better yet, in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Will you ever just knock it off? Ireland is responsible for 0.11% of global CO2 emissions, The Chinese are expected to add 200 GW of additional coal fired power by the end of the decade, that's on top of the gobsmacking amount of CO2 they spew already:

Everyone in Ireland with a car could be driving 5.0L V8s and it wouldn't make one scintilla of difference compared to what china emits and the significant increase they are planning on. This really, really is not a case of every little bit helps. Ireland could cease outputting any CO2 at all with everyone committing suicide tomorrow and it just wouldn't matter one iota or change anything. You can delude yourself with the idea you riding a bike makes a difference compared to someone driving a car, but that's all it is - delusion.

• Advertisement

Get your head around shared responsibility and per capita emissions. Ireland has some of the highest per capita emissions in the world mainly because of ribbon development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's a statute of limitation of seven years on enforcing planning violations under section 157 (4) of the Planning and Development Act, 2000

The first complaint to Galway County Council about the house you refer to was on the 21st of October 2023. The council deemed that the development occurred more than 7 years prior to that, and they were therefore legally prohibited from pursuing the matter.

The saga over the Meath house is very long-running, but I assume that the first planning enforcement action was brought within the first 7 years of it being built. I haven't looked for the exact timeline, but there's an article from 2022 that says the house was built "over 15 years ago", and that the Council first took action "over a decade ago". So it sounds like the action was first taken within 5 years of the house being built.

So if you can keep your house off the Council's radar for 7 years, you can get away with not having planning. However, a guy in England tried that with a mock Tudor mansion he built in 2001. He hid it behind a wall of hay bales for 4 years (the UK statute of limitations on planning matters), only to revel it when he thought he was in the clear. The courts, however, ruled that the four year period only began when the bales were removed - so he was (successfully) ordered to demolish it.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

Will you ever just knock it off. It's the other boy's fault Mammy, he's much bolder than me.

Grow TF up.

Once a house has passed its 7 year exemption limit it is deemed unenforceable. However the house doesn't have planning permission and can never get planning permission. This effectively renders it valueless and virtually unsellable.

I have a friend who bought such a 5 bedroom house on Achile for around €25k. For this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

There was a prohibition on building on the land when they bought it. It should be levelled to shore up the already poor planning enforcement we have in this country. They should never have been allowed/able to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Not true. You can be granted retention permission at any stage, including in cases where the 7 years has elapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

What I found shocking about this, is that the Murray's are just submitting multiple retention applications for the property, and the Council don't seem to have the power to just dismiss them outright on the basis that the decision has already been made on the previous application for retention.

Could they just do this ad nauseam? They are just trying to play the system (as they have been doing since day one), and pleading for mercy publicly. If ever there was a bunch of schysters…….

Advertisement