Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

You would be in a very small group of EV owners if you managed to go every two weeks between charges. What size battery are you looking at? A portable 13A charger (AKA granny charger with a 3 pin plug) will provide approx. 1.5kW per hour, so a 60kWh battery would take 36 hours to charge from 10% to 100% for example.

Post edited by CivilEx on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd still install one, your current proposition may change. You may need emergent top ups. Lot to be said for a filling station on your drive. Relying on a granny charger for latest batches of EVs isn't ideal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If so, there's plenty of time to install one if and when the necessity arises. Especially as such necessities usually come well forewarned. Why spend upwards of a grand on something you might never need? A granny charger will give you 20kWh in the nightsaver window and if you need to add more, it's still going to be cheaper than the cheapest public units.

Can't plan emergencies tbh. Vehicles are all 50kwh and above these days. Doesn't make sense anymore for granny chargers. Personally for me that would be a non runner.

If you're only needing a charge a fortnight, then the thing is always going to be nearly full or at manufacturer's recommended maximum. With that kind of usage, you'd only be using the granny charger once every few days. What difference is a 7.2kW charger going to make with that kind of usage? Charged up in an hour instead of three?

And the sense is in the cost. An outside socket for €35 vs €1000+

• Advertisement

You'll not get anyone install an outside socket for 35 euro at all. You'll be in to 200 tbh.

Well I did it myself, so that's why it only cost that. Needed it for a power washer, so it's handy for the granny charger if I ever need to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steveraf

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated

Battery size is 70kwh (I think?) Car has a WLTP of 510km. We normally do about 120km per week approx. So I was thinking I would get away with charging once every two or three weeks and so it might not be worth getting a night rate - why push the day rate higher when I will only use night charging once every 2 or 3 weeks is sort of where I'm coming g from.

There is an Aldi beside me and they have chargers so I could use those and see how I go for a while I guess.

Thanks for all the advice everyone

In terms of day rate/night rate, it's best to have a look around. For all we know you can get both a better night and similar or lower day rate. Night rates are cheap because that's when they want you to use power. It's not a robbing Peter to pay Paul type of situation.

You just need to calculate what works best for you. 70kWh into your car is 70 units of power. If you can get that for less than half the price and move other things into the nightsaver window like clothes and dishwashing, you could save a lot of money over a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,341 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d a tenant that was in the house for 12 years there was a prepay meter in the house when they moved in. ESBN swooped it out for a normal

Meter after a few months. 10 years I got a call from Electric Ireland asking what’s the story , that the meter hadn’t been topped up I. 10 years and they believed the tenant bypassed it. It was only after they went to

eSBN to investigate did ESBN tell them that they replaced it. The tenant had free electricity for 10 years. Explains why they never used the gas boiler and had plug in rads

Thanks. Yes good advice, dishwasher and washing machine could be set to go on over night. I'll get the calculator out and see what works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm doing 1000km per month in my EV and I stayed on the Flogas 24hr plan of 23c per unit, the car accounts for 20 to 22% of the electricity used in the house. I'd definitely recommend getting a proper CP fitted especially if it's the only car in the house. Knock at least 120km off the wltp figure and more for winter driving, that's what you'll be getting in the real world.

Thanks. So for me, the Ev would be accounting for about 10% or so of the electricity in house. That's helpful to know....thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how many units annually do you use at the moment?

Around 700 every three weeks? 2100 per two month billing period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

if you forget to change the “charge at preferred times” on the goodbye screen in the car, can it be done from the mobile app?

I haven't a notion. The last bill was about 33e but that included the gov help subsidy. I'll dig out the last couple of bills and work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm not sure about that tbh, I don't use the app much as it's very limited in what it can do, I use the Tronity app to keep track of charging (costs etc.). The Cupra app will tell you the car's unlocked but you can't lock it from the app🤔

Your usage is complicated by your solar setup. So you probably need to look at what you're exporting back to the grid and see if the EV usage fits in there. That'll give you a good idea of the cost. i.e. if you're exporting more than (based on a full charge a fortnight) 560kWh, then it's a straight swap. Otherwise you'll have to factor in some extra grid pull to make up the difference. But since your cost per unit is quite close to your microgen rate, it's probably very little in the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭crl84

A 7KW charger isn't going to be that much use in an emergency either, you'll still need a few hours charging.

You'd be kuch quicker just going to a public fast charger, in that unlikely scenario.

Yeah. As I said earlier, that kind of usage screams granny charger. 120km a week is pretty much one night's granny charging. Probably less depending on the kWh/100km rate. But even at 20, it would be within that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes you can, when its plugged in. Click on the Battery tile and it will give you a popup to change the "mode".

Thanks for the response but I don't have solar. You may have confused me with another poster.....good info though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I agree with @listermint that a proper dedicated charger should be installed. While it won't help much for emergencies if the vehicle charge is low, the person with a dedicated charger is more likely to plug in and keep the car topped up. I know a granny could be left plugged in, but I would be against that, as I don't like the idea of an external plug being left plugged into a non-dedicated external power supply box, such as those used for sprinkler, or pond systems where the cable is routed directly into the power supply and is not using a plug.

I occasionally use a granny charger if both vehicles need to be charged. I tend to keep the cars above 50% and that usually means 2 charges per week per car. I just think if someone has an EV, they really should have a dedicated charger and use the granny only as a backup charger…..maybe when visiting granny.

Stay Free

I'm not seeing an actual reason here. We're talking about the power of an average fan heater or kettle, except without the other issues associated with heating elements whether or not combined with water.

Along with the fact that manufacturer provided granny chargers are well built, expensive items with thermal monitoring of the plug.

I'm not an expert, but the the difference I see between a fan heater, or kettle and a granny charger is that only one of those items will be running for several hours at a time. They all share the same fuse rating, but the kettle is active for a few minutes at a time. The fan heater variable but again, often 20 minutes or less. If the person with the 70kWh battery is even charging from 50% to full, it will take approximately 16 hours at full draw to charge up. That's a long time for the item to be running at full draw.

My opinion remains the same. If you have an EV, a dedicated charger is what you should have at home. A granny charger is a back-up when you have no other option. Granny chargers can and do fail, especially after a few months of being exposed to the elements and being thrown about from car to ground. I have a lot more faith in a dedicated charge point, but I do see your POV and accept it works for many people. Unfortunately, it's just not as safe using a granny charger.

Stay Free

But again, I'm not seeing what the potential issue is. Yes it will run at a sustained level for longer than a heater or kettle, but annually will probably be about the same (assuming your use case means you're only using it once every few days like the poster who said they'd do on average 120km a week).

If it's connected to a properly protected outdoor socket (you can get these with an RCD built in) connected to a low use circuit like a bedroom or hall that's unlikely to reach even half its rated capacity, I can't see a problem other than the unit eventually giving up the ghost.

I'm not by any means suggesting that they are the be all and end all. But if your use case means a dedicated home charger (to continue the analogy) is the equivalent of buying a burco boiler to make your tea because once in a blue moon you'll need to make tea for 50 people and the rest of the time you're barely covering the bottom with water, then you're probably better off with a normal kettle and worry about the 50 people when it's actually a concrete prospect.

If you don't need to add to your costs to the tune of €1,000 plus, then I would advise you not to until it's absolutely necessary.

Ghost is correct granny chargers are occasional use items. Leaving a high consumption on over night for 10 hours or so is inherently unsafe. I'd value both the convience and safety of a dedicated charger for let's face it tiny money in the scheme of buying a new EV. It's pure scrimping to rely on a granny charger.

Plus we're close to a point that chargers are a good addition to a home sale too.

Convience safety and better charging rates. Win win

• Advertisement

You might not see an issue, but there are plenty of examples of granny chargers literally melting or going on fire when charging a vehicle. We can't necessarily blame the granny charger alone, but that's what was drawing the power and where the commonality exists. If the external socket degrades (they do, trust me) from regular use/abise, then the potential for fire is heightened due to higher resistance.

The potential issues are:

#The outdoor socket is connected to an existing circuit which could be overloaded, because it might be easier running the circuit from the kitchen than the hallway.

#The sensor in the granny charger malfunctions or stops working, but the granny still operates because not all heat sensors cause the charger to stop functioning, causing melting and fire.

I picked up a Leaf yesterday. Came with a non OEM charger the previous owner used exclusively to charge the car. My electrics were only tested and upgraded CU in the past fortnight, so all is good there. The granny caused my charger to trip 3 times before I unplugged it and stopped using it. I got lucky there (sort of) but there are plenty of examples of granny chargers causing electrical faults, melting, or burning the whole unit. I can't find many examples of burnt dedicated chargers with few exceptions of the first EV dumb chargers and where improper installs occurred. I picked up the missing type 2 public charger today from Lidl. Needles to say I will be getting an OEM granny charger for the very rare times it will be used.

Stay Free

Advertisement