Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

"If the Metrolink is delayed, as expected, until 2037…"

AAGHHHHH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Because the government has no intention of building a metro ever (and never did) and constant naysayers make shelving the project more easy to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

But this the Carbon Cult you all love and voted for. Did you actually expect any better from these Carbon Psychotics?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

What is a "Carbon Cult"?

Are you saying carbon emissions are not a major problem?

Metro North is one step (of many) to solving this, scientifically proven, problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭loco_scolo

Please don't derail this thread with "Carbon Cult" nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The main reason to build this is because of the quality of life improvements that it will bring and congestion reduction. If it was all about carbon then why do you think the London underground and Paris Metro were built 100 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's probably paywalled

Edit: just saw someone shared it above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭gjim

Effectively you are claiming that:

So 5/6 years ago, the government ministers of the time got together and decided NOT to build a metro (having resurrected the idea) but instead to spend hundreds of millions just to create an hugely elaborate show to "fool the people"? The sneaky plan has managed to remain completely secret despite a number of cabinet changes in the mean time and it involving people from ministerial level to low level civil servants.

In the meantime the government has been planting and encouraging negative media stories so that public opinion turns against the project.

Do you have any idea of how batshit insane this sounds?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @ArcadiaJunction This type of post is nonsense. Please do not post this type of troll content here again.

This IT article was originally titled “Six weeks of metrolink hearings a vital step along process to bring Metro to Dublin”, but I guess they had to change to something more clickbaity.

Still, it’s not very negative which might be a first for that particular newspaper.

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2024/04/02/six-weeks-of-metrolink-hearings-a-vital-step-in-a-long-process-to-bring-metro-to-dublin/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Cost+of+State-owned+accommodation+for+asylum+seekers+put+at+%E2%82%AC5bn+between+now+and+2044&utm_campaign=morning_briefing_digest

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think its pretty clear at this stage that the IT are against the Metrolink

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is quite clear that many objectors have not checked the plans.

Jim O'Callaghan is against the ML going beyond SSG because of 'the disruption to Charlemont which will become a terminus'. Talk about NIMBY arguments.

It is not going to be Grand Central Station, or even Heuston Station. It will be more like Greystones, or Rosslare Harbour, Or Ennis. The train will arrive and depart. Run up the tunnel and come back on the other platform. Passengers will get off and passengers will get on the train at the other platform.

Where is the problem? I suppose marauding North siders might make noises that disturb the local arrivistes in Dartmouth Square, but so what - they will have flipped their recently purchased (and now upgraded) house and moved on by the time the first train gets to Charlemont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Read that article. It's not negative about ML, and pokes fun at LIDL's "objection".

The only negative sentiment is around how long all this takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

I'm sure Jim would have objected to the Green Line tie-in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

It has been quite clear most people have not read the Environmental Impact Assessment Report (EIAR)

and make claims that can not be backed up. Charlemont will one of the busiest stations in Ireland

Charlemont 13 million Annual

Heuston 8 million Annual

Connolly 14.2 million Annual

Greystones 620K Annual

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuston_railway_station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connolly_station

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/oh/Passengers%20at%20Charlemont%20SSG%20and%20Tara%20Street%20Stations.pdf

Greystone Page 30 - Chart 11 Profile of Demand by Station, DART Northbound,
    2021 and 2022

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/NTA-National-Rail-Census-Report-2022-Final.pdf

This seems fine. The station is well designed and by the time passenger flow becomes an issue, we should have (hopefully) built the tie in with the Green Line

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Wouldn't have been a problem if the sensible upgrade of the green line south of charlemont wasn't dropped

Yep agreed. My guess is that as soon as metrolink is under construction pressure will start to mount to do the tie in. Charlemont will just become a through station and won’t have significant numbers of people alighting or departing.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭specialbyte

The vast majority of predicted passengers at the Charlemont station will be transferring from Luas Green Line or buses. Only 38% are first time boarders. The rest are transferring, mostly using the proposed stairs on the canal side between the metro and the Luas stop. Most of the demand is going north of the canal to the office developments there.

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/documentsro/A9.4%20Traffic%20and%20Transport%20Modelling%20Report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

I know it won’t ever happen and I know there are probably good project reasons why it won’t happen here but LA are building a new metro line and it will open in phases. The first three stations from Downtown will open in 2025 and the rest in phases over the next two years.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5R0WDUPygk/?igsh=Y3VzajdhOTg4ZDFw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say there is a good chance that Metrolink will open in phases. The way the main construction works are divided into three civil works contracts and then there is a PPP for internal fit out and rolling stock should allow for it. It's not all one big contract like MN was to be.

The tunnel contract will obviously take the longest time to complete but the other two sections north of the M50 should be completed much quicker. Once the latter sections are handed over, fit out can start there while tunnelling continues further south. Crucially, the depot is north of the M50 so should be handed over relatively early. Once the line north of the M50 has been fitted out and some rolling stock has arrived, I would expect that they would look to get that part operational, even if the tunnel will take another couple of years to complete.

I believe the plan currently is to open the Swords/Airport section first and the tunnelled section later. Or at least the Northern section will have test running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It definitely makes sense to open from the depot at Dardistown North to the end as a section. This would give some testing opportunities for the stock and the stations.

It would also give buy in for the line as a whole as people can see it is real, happening and will be there.

Also quite a lot of people in Swords and to the North work in the airport, so this will provide a benefit straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

if you are in government and it’s possible to open that first section, you’d be utterly mad not to.

It has always been likely that Metrolink will open in phases and 2035 always seemed very padded to me. Possibly that is when the furthest south section will open but I'd strongly assume Swords-Airport will open way sooner than that due to it being a simpler build.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Bsharp

Haven't seen any mention of a phased opening in the market sounding or information provided by TII to date. Maybe I missed it. It'll be an important consideration for the M500 package at tender stage so that they can design and sequence works accordingly, and order the rolling stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I hope it’s opened in phases just to hear people complain that it was a waste of money if it’s not instantly at capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭prunudo

Obviously there would be some uptake but would there be much trip generators from opening north of the m50? I suppose it would be good to test the system when demand isn't so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It would certainly make sense as a ramp-up test to open the overground sections first and shake out any bugs in the system before the high traffic section begins service.

Politically, there would be a lot of support for such a move too... there's nothing like cutting the ribbon on something expensive to show a government is making "progress".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wouldn't expect it to be something mentioned in the high level information available to the public. Undoubtedly the two civil contracts from the M50 north will be completed first so it makes sense from everyone's perspective to progress with fitting these out before the tunnel is complete. Once the civil works are completed, TII will want to hand them over to the PPP company, otherwise they are liable for securing and insuring the site.

Rolling stock will go into production soon after award of the PPP (after detailed design is completed and signed off). Obviously sets will be completed in batches over several years. The manufacturer won't want to have completed stock sitting in their facilities for years, they will want to get it to the depot at Dardistown as quickly as possible (and their pricing will almost certainly be based on that). They will certainly be bringing to operationally ready and testing and commissioning the new systems before the tunnel is completed (trying to do everything at the end would be a huge risk).

Advertisement