Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭sh81722

We are getting there for the small cars. Good luck for the European "premium" (plastic) makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Why single out the ones that are good value? Do you think the others should stay high?

If they go to 20k, they'll pull the next segment above down with them, which in turn will pull the next one down and so on.....

It's actually happening before our eyes at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

Good look to the Chinese cars when then EU slap massive tarrifs on them this year

The chinese have an easy retaliation with their own import tariffs, European manufacturers sell more cars in China than anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

They will still do it to save Europe's car industry from effective destruction. The Chinese can retaliate but then again so will Europe and when trump gets in the tarrifs will ramp up even further.

China is in a very weak position ATM. Liked by none and with an economy in deflation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

China in a weak position?

Delusional.

You been drinking the Kool Aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So the "cheaper" Sport Edition trim is confirmed, presume it will be the same that will be offered here:

Seems like a replacement for the SE trim that was available in previous generation 5 Series models. I know they are only renderings but the less aggressive shape looks even more cumbersome with those smaller wheels. Like the old SE trim, probably aimed at the more mature buyer or company rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Chinese companies will just build more factories in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Saw my first i5 on the road today on N7. Badged with a 40 on its rear right. Had to Google to confirm they are not copying Audi. It doesn't stand out enough for the money. It's very ordinary. The 508 is a head turner for example, not this. And yes I know it's not remotely the same market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Similarly, I saw a new 530e msport in black this morning and it too looked very ordinary. Definitely doesn’t look like a €75K car to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Neighbour got a 530 m sport pro. Oxide grey with red interior and the largest alloys. Looks great.

I have to admit after slagging it off initially when launched the new 5 looks better. It can hardly be because I’m used to seeing them as they are few and far between on the road.

still too expensive and the interior definitely has been cheapened from the last model.

The touring could be a great looking car.

36 BMW i5’s registered for the year up to end of March.

Some of those possibly dealer cars.

I can’t believe BMW would consider that a success.

They're all 100k +, the ones I can see for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

I’d guess at least 10 of them are dealer reg ones, I had a drive in the 40 version 2 weeks ago and was nothing in it that would make me want to upgrade from my i4 m50.

If I was to change I’d be going for the x5 50e I think, I’m missing the comfort and luxury I had in my 530e and while the i5 is a nicer place to sit in it’s not got enough to make me want one. If I was spending €130k plus on a new car I’d be looking at a Porsche and probably not the Taycan either. The new Panamera hybrid would be really tempting when in that price range.

BMW just have to lower prices to shift these on, the UK will be much faster to do that and we will probably start to see them being imported to here otherwise. I wonder who the i5 is selling in the UK and in general worldwide

did you get a trade in price for your i4 against i5?

The massive deprecation likely of the i5 is another reason not to buy.

Nope, they didn't want to take it in as they already had a few i4 m50s on the forecourt. And I was asking against an X5 50e, they had none available until August so they were not to bothered in discussing at all

The i4 m50 went from being a car you couldn’t get your hands on to being a car they don’t want back as trade in pretty quickly.

The i5 will be similar I guess…

I think it could be the opposite in a way, nobody wants to buy new as it's too expensive but are will to buy second hand as it's better value

I was all set to buy a new g60 but after a test drive a few weeks ago I couldn’t cope with the nasty cheapened interior. So bought a fully loaded 2022 g30 instead and thrilled with it. Saved myself €25k was the icing on the cake.

bmw have completely lost their way with the g60 - massive step backwards and cheap interior and touchscreen.

• Advertisement

Huge pity, not great looking outside either

My favourite car model of all time I had 2 x e39, 1 x e60, 1 X f10 and 1 X g30 and I've absolutely no interest in g60 even on the used market in a few years. Although I had no interest in e60 for a while then it really grew on me. An msport e60 still looks great. Maybe this will be a grower

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Just wondering is the new 5 series readily available? I think it's been on sale for a few months and I have only seen a handful of them (only 520i, 530e no i5)

I've seen more of the new E Class

I don't think I've ever seen one. I have seen the very odd new 5 series but I also work near a dealership and it's there I've seen them so I don't know if they are demo cars or what they are.

The i5 makes absolutely no sense they way they are priced. Part of EV ownership is frugality of running them, the massive price premium and inevitable extra depreciation over what is already a niche price level of 70k + for the 520i makes it unviable for anyone that's thinking logically.

It's only a 5 series, they became commonplace in the last 30 years it's not something new or exotic people will break the bank for.

Still nice car though but not worth what they're asking

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Yes it seems strange why the i5 is 20k for than the petrol especially considering Ireland's VRT system

The previous G30 looked perfect.

Mark my words, those who opted for the M Sport Pro+ pack will easily command a premium of €2-3k over models without it when it comes to used models.

I mean they look fantastic!

I reckon to gain any sort of sales for the i5, they need to price it at or slightly below the combustion variant. They launched a slightly cheaper sport spec but it is still vastly overpriced in the mid 80’s.

There is no reason for the ev model to cost 20k more than the combustion car.

If they relaunch at a lower price point, they may sell some. They haven’t sold enough of them to annoy too many people anyway.

I don’t understand how they can price the EV version so much higher though, usually the hybrids and BEVs are a lot cheaper due to VRT

yes it’s been readily available for months but it’s not selling at all - in any engine model. Think I’ve seen 3 on the roads in Dublin that’s it. BMW increased the price and lowered the spec and standard of everything I don’t know how they think they’d get away with it unless the sales in Asia are making up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

I saw one i5 there a few weeks ago on the roads. It’s really a horrible looking car.

It looks like it’s wearing a phone case on top of it or something. Bulky in the wrong places.

Ridiculously priced at the moment and surely will need a massive reduction in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Saw the first one on the road (that wasnt either me test driving it or others on trade plates) at the weekend. It was a 40. The car looks awful without the M60 and msport trims.

• Advertisement

a new 530e parked next to me today. It was a bog standard white msport. Looked alright but nothing special and certainly not 75k worth or 90k plus which the ev version is.

It is a big car on the outside though.

Advertisement