Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

forgot about the i7. i was just responding to the point re the i5 and taycan being the only game in town for premium evs

1 year old i7s are cheap (relatively) https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/i7/fpa/3570121?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Used i7 prices are likely to be indicative of future i5 depreciation but it will be easier to find customers for the i5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I really like Harry's reviews.

He doesn't hold back and is scathing. The negative reviews of the m60 in particular are piling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

He hated the i4 aswell. I like Harry but he is very anti EV. He’s got money in sustainable fuels and has tried to push that as the future, rather than electric, so he does have an agenda IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kevin.m

I think that is unfair. It is true that he doesnt put enough emphasis on the running costs savings of EV's, but then those savings are much less in the UK. Also because of tax system, EV's are much more expensive than ICE cars. The UK must have one of the least EV-friendly tax regimes in Europe!

But he is right to call out its flaws. A car of that price should have a bigger battery and better range. And to be fair, some of his criticisms also affect the normal 5 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,586 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't actually find him to be anti-EV, certainly not for someone who is a farmer, a rural dweller, and vintage car enthusiast with money in e-fuel. All 4 of those point to reasons for him to be anti-EV but I find him pretty unbiased and real world reviewer of EVs.

a friend who drives i4 40 model was given the i5 for a day by the local garage in an effort to encourage him to trade in his car.

he had traditionally driven 520d’s before the i4. He was nervous he might love it and do a deal but told me it was the first 5 series he didn’t take to at all and was delighted to get back into his own car.

chatting with the sales guy, who told him they can sell 530e no problem but nobody going for the i5. Sales guy said you would be better financially to spend slightly more on a x5 50e than the i5 as much better residuals.

the new Porsche macan with more power, practicality and four wheel drive is the same price as the i5 40 model.

I think BMW are going to have to trim the price to get them on the road.

Post edited by carsfan2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Had a good look around one of these yesterday and honestly, thought it was shocking.

I had to check this, but it seemed longer next to our EV9... and it was! Different form factor obviously, but the space is just pitiful given the length. Although it's beginning to grow on me, I find the Kia to be "challenging", but the BMW is straight up awful. I remember the controversy around Bangle's work, but they were at least cohesive even at launch. These things are almost SEO in physical form, trying to a communicate the BMW brand above all else.

The materials insides also seems ropey compared to previous versions. I really the iX, it makes sense to me, but to follow that with this is?!?!. For the money it's easily the worst car I've seen in a long time. I don't understand anything about it. It just reeks of compromise, that there was no coherent vision for it at any level.

funny to hear that, i had audi calling me asking if i wanted to 'upgrade' to a q8 etron from my etron 55 i bought 18 months ago, its a big change from a few years back when you couldnt get a salesman on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Try getting two teenagers in the back of a Cayman though :) Odd comparison to make.

two & half weeks in and can I honestly say I love the i5. Definitely a few steps up from the i4.

• Advertisement

Confused my Porsche models.

meant the new model Macan which is just released.

over 600km range and more legroom than previously as increased wheelbase in the new model.

I just think the i5 is too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Woodie40

Beautiful prestigious vehicle. Glad you are enjoying it. My wife is torn between the i5 and the 5 series Hybrid, she has the weekend to make up her mind.

I plan ordering it next week for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I5 is a waste of money - go for the the 530e and spec it up. B&O sound is €2k extra for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

If you actually watch the review it makes sense - car is too expensive for what it is - also handles badly because of the enormous weight. When you opt for a BMW - a lot of what you are paying for is the driving experience - and from what he's saying(and he knows his stuff) it doesn't drive like a proper BMW - it's an honest review for sure. Also his pick of the bunch would be the 520d which they still make but not in left hand drive - because UKs move from diesels - and obviously the Irish market is too small to be concerned about us wanting diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Irish market generally gets what the UK market gets as obviously we are both RHD but also because the distributor is the same for both countries.

I read elsewhere that the 520d will be available in right hand drive in the new touring model when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If it ends up landed here for less than a 530E, it will fly out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Collected an M60 today for the week. It is stupidly quick in a straight line but it feels a bit of a one trick pony in the sense of it doesn’t have all the other frills and excitement you’d get from an M5. If you stick those wheels (I like them) onto an i5 e40, you can’t tell the difference. The interior is the same idea, it’s nice enough but it’s the exact same as the other versions.

I’m in a 520i next week as I wanted to compare them back to back and see where the extra €67,000 has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What the bhp of a 520i these days?

I think you should have driven them the other way around as coming from that level of acceleration in the m60, the 520i will surely feel like someone fitted a lawnmower engine to it.

Ha! 520i only came on the fleet and I’d the M60 booked a few months. 211bhp I think off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Sounding old but I don’t think you’ll be struggling to keep up with traffic in a 520i with a lawnmower engine’

Be interesting to hear which of them can go around a few corners the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

This guy put the 520i through its paces on Youtube - AutoTopNL

Think it’s 208bhp - 190 from engine and another 18 from some mild hybrid tech

plenty of poke for the average driver

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya 210 bhp or so is not bad at all.

I didn't mean it is a poor engine but the ev torque will desensitise anyone to the torque of even a reasonably nice petrol engine.

No I totally get what you mean Mick.

thats not a reasonably nice petrol engine though, just a 4 pot turbo thingy

Anyone know why the 530e has been removed from he Irish BMW configurator site? only has the 550e...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,586 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

550e is available only in the saloon, and the 530e only in the touring, for some reason. I assume it's in a state of change

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

Anyone know what is going on with orders for the 530e ? Cars are built and just waiting in factory since Christmas. Some cars are in Dublin but not delivered to customers. I know some got theirs but many have been waiting a long time . I ordered in mid October but no new delivery date . Pain as Iv to service the current car and piling on mileage ….:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Touring model is now available in the configuration

I spoke too soon, it's not really. But slightly more info.

Advertisement