Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star trek academy series

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

It gets pretty serialised about half way through so it's probably better to start from the beginning and endure the rough first season. Crichton swearing leather trousers is Farscape's version of Riker growing his beard

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I will say the same thing that gets repeated with manys a Sci-Fi: you need to give the entirity of the first season a go. It's not til the back half that the show finds its identity and direction. Until then it was a bit scattershot, and even a little too warmed-up Trek in places. Once scorpius asserted himself and the stakes got properly established, the show took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,666 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Theres some shows where I just can't get past the production values. Farscape, Babylon 5 and Dune TV series are probably the big 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have tried. It's just my hearing is not the best so I need subtitles and anytime I seen and tried to watch it on the TV on whatever channel it was on it did not have subtitles so that was the end of that.

Would love for it to be on somewhere now.

I have tried. Just need subtitles to watch it as said above my hearing is not great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatdya talking about, that Dune TV show was easily the peer of anything Denis Villeneuve has so far produced …

I get what you mean about Babylon 5 though; if ever a show was in dire need of some remastering love, it's that show. Cos otherwise it's a helluva a gap to jump.

I've once more been mainlining BSG clips thanks to the YouTube algorithm, and it's quite something how well those 20+ year FX still hold up. The CGI cylons can be so-so but the ship FX are still very convincing.

• Advertisement

Farscape's production values do get a little better in later seasons but it's still rough sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Farscape's production values were really great at the time I thought. Bit dated now for sure though I think some of the season 3 stuff still holds up well. Far better than Babylon 5 anyway.

Was a massive fan of it in its day (got my username from there) though a lot hasn't aged well unfortunately.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 24,666 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

By production I don't just mean the FX and sets. I found the acting quite camp or hammy in the shows I mentioned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah yes the acting was the part that really didn't age well for me. The "peacekeeper wars" miniseries was really bad in that respect.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

They had a pretty narrow pool to chose from to be fair. The guy that played DK did get a lot better, he was Frank in the Last of Us

Advertisement