Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options
1283284285286287289»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭wassie

The key question is what is the display you are using? The device you linked to has specs of 4K 60Hz which will be fine if thats all your TV/Monitor can handle.

But if you are want to game at maximum 4K 120Hz and have support for Dolby Vision, VRR, Atmos etc then you need a switch that is HDMI 2.1 compliant

Plenty of choice on Amazon (link here) and cheaper than that Currys unit also. Even if you current TV cant support this, you can future proof the switch if you decide to upgrade your TV in the future.

If you go down that path, also need to ensure your cables are certified HDMI 2.1 compliant also. The HDMI cable supplied with the X is, so you just need the one between the switch & the TV. Again, can be for under ten quid - just make sure its states it is certified.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thank Jebus, Xbox are currently testing the ability to remember more than one Wifi network! How this has remained like this for so long is just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's nothing, the inability to reconnect to a router after a power outage is beyond comprehension. It's the only device I own that can't re-connect to a router unless it's completely powered down and restarted.

Obviously not a problem for most, but when you are lucky enough to get 50+ pwer cuts annually…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I do yeah works well. It's a cheaper verison of that though. Try amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't get how Series X can do 4k HDR 120 fps ... and super silent but can't do things the most cheap smartphone can do. Also, not being able to provide the current time, without an internet connection is bizarre. Especially bizarre since it's basically a PC, and has the backing of a N trillion dollar company. I really don't get it. Excellent hardware, but strange software.

I think putting games on other platforms is the best thing MS can do. I see great reviews for previous Xbox exclusives on PlayStation sites. This is how MS and XBox get out of the "no games" mire they are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I have a 120hz tv and I keep the Xbox in 60hz mode unless I'm playing a multiplayer game. Microsoft still haven't fixed the audio desync issue with games running at a lower framerate in that mode that's been there since launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Getting a Steamdeck ruined the Xbox for me. I so liked the eco-system and better priced games, in many instances, I had my son build me a PC that fairly closely emulates a Steamdeck, except for size, portability and the 7900 xtx that gives me 6-8 times series X performance. The announcement of the next Xbox having the same performance as the series X was the clincher. I am not waiting several more years. The games I most like to play now have enjoyable performance requirements way beyond what the series x can manage.

I get the impression Microsoft puts very little effort and resources into the xbox ecosystem. I think they are just lazy and happy to sit back and let the game pass revenues just roll in. It should not take nearly a decade to come up with the hardware for a new console. Look at the Ayaneu Kun, a Steamdeck on steroids that has better than series S performance and almost series x matching, in a handheld. A tiny company with a handful of employees can come up with this in next to no time while microsoft with vastly more resources takes 8 years between performance updates. At the glacial rate Microsoft moves at, web TV's might have more power and a better ecosystem by the time the next performance updated console is available.

Four years on from launch and the series x still can't re-connect to a network, has a rubbish non-game eco system with a cringeworthy, incomprehansibly lame interface. Have you looked at the resolution of your player icon lately… WTF?

I'm still playing it due to the sunk cost in my game library, but all future game purchases will be on Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

As soon as you have digital games you are more tied to a platform, and that really stinks if the platform can't maintain backwards compatibility. And then you have multiple platforms. The whole thing becomes disposable and non transferable. Even very environmentally unfriendly. So PC/Steam seems the best long term bet. Maybe Sony and MS will stop wasting time on regular home console hardware and just support a common PC platform home console spec. They can focus on the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

I have had a 120HZ TV with VRR for a long time and early last year I switched to a 120Hz OLED with Freesync and I never had any issues with audio on either Tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Which audio format are you using as the delay isn't as noticeable using PCM as it is Atmos or DTS. This issue is not affected by VRR settings, whether it's Freesync or not, this is purely down to the Xbox being unable to process audio quickly enough when running in 4K120 mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As long as gamepass exists, xbox rules for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The new Fire Vapor controller:

I won't be buying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭wassie

Finally - Looks like Xbox soon to get an update to allow saving of multiple wireless network. Currently being rolled out to the insiders preview release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Hellblade 2 is up for pre load now. In around 40gb for me on a Series S

Advertisement