Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Xbox isn't leaving the hardware scene!

It's massive hyperbole shít stirring from people around an announcement that Xbox game studio games will be available on more platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Some people having end of the world meltdowns in comments section on YouTube 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Leave them off, there hasn't even been an announcement yet! It's a wonder how some of those are functioning adults 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't think MS are going to exit XBox hardware, but there is some presentation next week about their plans, and there was already leaks about new model XBoxes. So, it would be worth waiting.

The Series X is the model to get if you can afford it currently. You have the option of cheaper physical games, new and second hard, and can resell them. Also it's got a much higher spec hardware wise.

PlayStation 5 has a lot of exclusives that may or may not interest you (Spiderman, Last of us, ....). I had one for a while but I found it very noisy (fan, coil whine) so I sold it. In contrast the Series X, and not just mine, is amazingly silent. Also I found the PS controller more comfortable than XBox controller, but the PS controller is also more prone to stick drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Cheers SuperBrowserWorld, at the moment games like Spider-Man don’t interest me that much. I like the idea of games pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have both Xbox and PS5 and I'd recommend the PS5 tbh. It has more really strong single player games, which is what I'm in to. I'd look at what games are available on both and see which you prefer. You can always trade it in and pick up the other one at some point, the PS5 Pro is most likely due this year so may drop the price of rue PS5 slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Luna84

I'd recommend the Xbox Sereis X for Gamepass and it's also way quieter and more powerful than the PS5.

Technically Series X may be more powerful, but you don't see that in practice. I'm not sure any games have taken advantage of the extra power. It's definitely quieter.

Also PS has a subscription service, not sure how good/bad it is compared to GamePass. I don't do subscription services anymore as I don't have the time to invest in games to see the payback. Instead I buy well regarded games when they are cheap. Also I like the single player games and I don't like sports, racing or first person shooters. There are a ton of these on GamePass if you are interested in them.

If I could choose 1 and I could get a reasonably quiet PS (no coil whine anyway), I'd go with PS.

Definitely happy enough with Series X though + MS have all my game saves in the cloud for free.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Only way to really do that would be to swap to an ARM processor, as the leak suggested they're looking at. Would be a huge change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I know nothing about ARM processors - are they much more powerful or something?

ARM is in most mobile devices, also the new Mac laptops, M1, M2 ..

Better power vs energy tradeoff is my understanding. Much quieter cooling required too.

Series X is super quiet, due to good engineering, but with an ARM processor a follow on console would use a lot less energy and provide the same amount of power.

But, backwards compatibility would go out the window, without some very cleaver software layer and testing of previous games by Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm a gamer and well past 40. I have a series X and would say do not get an S, they are simply incapable of playing modern games remotely well. Even the X, which has been very good, has been left behind technically by recent games that interest me. The X should, though, be good enough to start with the sort of games you have expressed an interest in.

I have built a gaming PC to run games on Valve's Steam platform, which I think is a superior eco-system to Microsoft's, after getting a Steamdeck. I won't be buying any more games on xBox, but it likely would be a good option for you.

If you find yourself being drawn to a series S, you probably should take a look at Valve's Steamdeck as an alternative.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, I'm currently using an M1 mac book, and it's incredible. I'm playing games that were designed for windows and x86, with more performance that I'd ever have believed before booting it up. I don't even hear the fan on it even under heavy load. An ARM console, with software designed to take advantage of it from the start, would be a power house beyond what we're dealing with now.

Xbox is actually in a fairly good place on the BC front, to a certain extent anyway. All games since the Xbox One (including the BC titles) run in a kind of hypervisor, which is what enables quick resume. This provides a level of abstraction that would allow BC over ARM. There's also the possibility that they' could fudge the BC through the cloud, which would not be my first choice, but is a possibility.

But does ARM make APU's? I'm not up to date and haven't googled it. If not then they would have to go back to a traditional separate CPU and GPU dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,033 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I assume the holiday hardware they ate talking about is facelifts to the current models. And the tech leap is a new console we probably won't see til 2026 or 2027.

Yes ARM devices usually are APU's, that's what all phones contain. But there are different flvours to their GPU components. Apple does their own thing, Samsung's mobile processors now are based on AMD's Rdna 2, same as xBox. Qualcomm do their own thing with their Adreno GPUs.

Yes, there's a slightly smaller, digital only Series X in the works, along with a new controller that will have enhanced haptics, ala the PS5 one. Probably see more of these in June.

The next gen one will probably be around 2028, maybe a reveal before that.

Nonsense. Series X delivers 4K ish output resolution at sometimes 60fps, the series S only barely manages to run modern games because they limit the resolution, details and the frame rate is limited to 30 fps. The higher the games processing load, the lower the output resolution on the series S.

Here is a list of how games perform on the S and X:

I am playing Starfield on a series X on a 4K TV and it's painfully inadequate in many, many places. I couldn't bring myself to even attempt it on a series S.

That game should not have been released on the platform at all as the hardware, even on the X, isn't up to it. Just last night I was getting single digit frame rates that are brain-wrenching.

The series S runs Avatar, Frontiers of Pandora at 720p - 1080p 30 fps. That game on my new steam based PC runs at 4K 56 fps with settings on medium or high, but even with a 7900 XTX it can't handle maxing the graphics settings.

It's quite obvious the GPU performance is far higher on the X, and games do use every skerrick of it with recent games like Starfield and Avatar FP requiring far more than even the series X can deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

He was talking in relation to the PS5, it's extremely obvious it's more powerful than the S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭wassie

Exactly, based on the original product roadmap 'leak', there will be no increase in performance specification. It will run more efficiently, have more storage and better connectivity (wifi, bluetooth, USB C), but same performance specs as far as we know.

If it is digital only, then it may make second hand Series X consoles with physical media drive in more demand than otherwise would be normal with a refresh update.

As for the next-gen - way to early to speculate on hardware, especially as machine learning/AI will play a massive role as outlined on the roadmap.

Personally, given the news breaking today about Open AIs announcement with SORA, I think we are going to be seeing some serious disruption in the gaming space in a very short amount of time. Like most people's reactions, I find this very disturbing and exciting at the same time.

I was comparing Series X to PS5. Sorry for the confusion if any. SX should be better than PS5, but you don't see it in practice. Probably because the PS5 is the "lead" platform for cross platform games.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

The rubber on the thumb stick of my gen 1 Elite controller decided to bite the dust this evening. I had a good run with it I have it fair few year at this stage.

I should be the one saying sorry, consider it said.

So many bits has fallen off my elite gen 1 at this stage, looks like I've tortured the thing. Changed the bumpers, the thing sticks, the rubber grips have mostly all fallen off.

Got the use out of it though, so can't complain too much

I was playing my Xbox earlier and got a notification that my GamePass was due to expire soon and I was like how but turns out two years are up again. Time flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

This looks pretty good, pity it isn't getting a wider release.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭a2deden

So i tried to play a 4k uhd dvd for the first time and the xsx was so loud, unwatchable being totally honest, has anyone else found this?

• Advertisement

That would be the disk drive and not the cooling fan.

Never actually tried it myself but I have Sopranos on DVD that I have been thinking about watching again and I no longer have any DVD player so Xbox will have to do.

Advertisement