If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Extension - are we dreaming?



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

    yeah, was looking at those apartment plans. They actually look nice enough. The house in Asgard should be far enough away not to be impacted by it unduly

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭herbalplants

    Friend of mine bought this 2 bedrooms house not in great condition really old needs all done but she is adding extra 2 bedrooms downstairs. So she got a builder to do all this work for 115 k. Out of 115k 13k is Vat only. So basically all this work for 100k. May I add this is in Dublin. So the whole house renovated upstairs and downstairs and add extra 2 bedrooms and one bathroom all in 100k.

    I am scratching my head here as not sure how is this possible.

    Also may I add she doesn't have a big garden so in this small garden plus what is downstairs (not a big house!!) he manages 2 more bedrooms and one bathroom.

    He also promised to deliver the whole project in 2 months! One payment on 3rd of April and next payment in a month but promised he has 70% done by second payment.

    Is there something I am missing or does it sound too good to be true?

    Living the life

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    Time, cost and payment schedule all sound dodgy to me!!!

  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭theboringfox

    Sounds very dodgy. You seem to be questioning how they will fit it all in. Is there drawings done or is the guy saying I will do this. Normally he few k just to draw up plans and cost them.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

    So he wants 30% up front and the other 70% a month later?

    Money when work done.…...

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

    Hi Folks,

    I wouldn’t jump to dodgy conclusions so quick, it really is down to the extent of the work.
    A simple 20sq metre single story extension split into 2 bedrooms isn’t a hard or complicated build and with simple flooring and electrics it’s 2500 a sq metre which I would say is expensive.

    The devil is in the detail so without drawings or scope of change to existing dwelling it’s hard to answer the question.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭herbalplants

    Sorry for late reply. Yes sounds dodgy to me too. It is not myself who got this quote but my friend. To make it worse, she doesn't live in Dublin but in Dubai. Bought this house that needs complete doing up but also wants to add the extra 2 bedrooms and bathroom downstairs. The quote I put above is the building guy who she is going ahead. Bare in mind, she is not even here to supervise or anything and her parents who are older live in Laois. I don't see this going well.

    Living the life

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭herbalplants

    She forwarded me his details and I didn't see any drawings at all.

    Living the life