Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - are we dreaming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Hi folks, just wondering if someone could give me a ball park figure for an extension. Current house is an L shaped dormer with just 2 bedrooms in the dormer roof. The sitting room is at the back of the house and has a small hip roof, this is what gives the house its L shape. We are looking at extending the sitting room out to the rear roughly 1.8m and putting a dining room beside it so we can turn a cramped kitchen/dining area into just a kitchen area. Total size of the groundfloor extension would be 28 Sq m with a gable dormer roof put over the sitting room and new dining room. Eventually we'd hope to put 2 small bedrooms and a jack and jill ensuite above the extension but we can get away with kids sharing rooms for a few years more so it can wait. Looking at a builders finish, there are no site access issues and we're living in Portarlington in Laois.

We have a budget of 60K euro, do I need to scale back my plans or should we be ok?

Thanks in advance to any inputs you can give.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

28 sq m at 60k allows approx €200 /sq ft which i think is most certainly achievable, assuming your just talking about a 3 walled extension with a new roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

BryanF wrote: »
    We obey the law on this forum thanks

how was I breaking the law ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RobAMerc wrote: »

Probably the cash job portion of the post.
    That would be tax, VAT evasion etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Please read the forum charter before posting again thanks. Feel free to PM me or any of the mods when looking for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Thanks for the reply Syd.
    Yeah it's just a three walled extension, nothing fancy or tricky about it. Plan on reusing the large sitting room window on the new back wall of the sitting room extension and reusing as many roof tiles as are salvageable to help save costs. We plan on putting in a large 4 panel bifold exterior doors in the new dining room so as to meet the light requirements, these are gonna cost us about 4.5k euro. The only other big ticket items will be 4 large velux's for the new roof. With a job this size would I consider project managing myself or leave it all to a builder? I worked on the buildings for 8 years before my current job and my cousin is a qualified plasterer and QS so if I need a bit of advice or dig out he's on call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Hi all, my wife and I are in the process of getting an extension on the house and I was just looking for a bit of a guideline on what's doable within our budget. Our bank have approved an €40k top up on our mortgage. Ideally we are looking to put on a two storey extension. It would be 11 feet x 23 feet, so just over 250 feet squared. I have read that I'd be looking at a bargain basement of €100 per square foot, €130 - €170 for a decent job and €200 per square foot for a top of the line finish. Are those figures relatively accurate?

A bigger question I had was does the work they'll have to do on the existing structure impact the price heavily? On the ground floor we will just be extending what's there, but on the first floor they'll have to knock down a wall and build a hallway of sorts for access to the new areas. I imagien this to be expensive. Has anyone had second storey extensions and if so can they attest to the cost of this sort of thing?

Also, should I be speaking to an architect before I do anything else? My father in law said so...

For the record the extension is to the rear of the house, if that's relevant.

As always any pointers welcome.

Monokne wrote: »
    Hi all, my wife and I are in the process of getting an extension on the house and I was just looking for a bit of a guideline on what's doable within our budget. Our bank have approved an €40k top up on our mortgage. Ideally we are looking to put on a two storey extension. It would be 11 feet x 23 feet, so just over 250 feet squared. I have read that I'd be looking at a bargain basement of €100 per square foot, €130 - €170 for a decent job and €200 per square foot for a top of the line finish. Are those figures relatively accurate?

A bigger question I had was does the work they'll have to do on the existing structure impact the price heavily? On the ground floor we will just be extending what's there, but on the first floor they'll have to knock down a wall and build a hallway of sorts for access to the new areas. I imagien this to be expensive. Has anyone had second storey extensions and if so can they attest to the cost of this sort of thing?

Also, should I be speaking to an architect before I do anything else? My father in law said so...

You need plAnning to build that area at 1st floor, (greater than 12m2) and you also need an architect to act as design & assigned certifer as its great than 40m2 area in total. Personally I get an arch to design and put it in for planning but I'd try to get under the 40m2 in the hope of avoiding the new design/assigned certifer requirements and also to get you in on budget. 40k is too tight for a 250sqft x 2 floors building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

BryanF wrote: »
    You need plAnning to build that area at 1st floor, (greater than 12m2) and you also need an architect to act as design & assigned certifer as its great than 40m2 area in total. Personally I get an arch to design and put it in for planning but I'd try to get under the 40m2 in the hope of avoiding the new design/assigned certifer requirements and also to get you in on budget. 40k is too tight for a 250sqft x 2 floors building.

Would you mind elaborating about the need for planning permission at 1st floor? I don't quite follow...it has to be less than 12m2? I hadn't seen or heard that anywhere.

If I were to get the ground floor to be about 25m2 and made the upstairs 12m2, is it then exempt? I don't particularly need the upstairs to be that big, just need an additional bedroom.

Hi all, my wife and I are in the process of getting an extension on the house and I was just looking for a bit of a guideline on what's doable within our budget. Our bank have approved an €40k top up on our mortgage. Ideally we are looking to put on a two storey extension.

Does the 40k include professional fees?
    Planning Application Fees?
    Architect or Technician fees to carry out the planning application?

Then who will supervise the construction stage and sign off with the structure of the building, planning regulations and building regulations?
    A bigger question I had was does the work they'll have to do on the existing structure impact the price heavily? On the ground floor we will just be extending what's there, but on the first floor they'll have to knock down a wall and build a hallway of sorts for access to the new areas. I imagine this to be expensive. Has anyone had second storey extensions and if so can they attest to the cost of this sort of thing?

Generally speaking the rough costs are there to guide you. Say you do the sums and the final cost doesn't blow you away, you know you are in the ball park so proceed to planning and tender. If the ball park calculations blow your budget you know you need to scale back in places.

Yes you should, either an Architect, an Engineer or a technician or somebody suitably qualified to lodge a planning application at least and can give you some design ideas.

When it comes to construction stage, you will need somebody to act on your behalf so one of the above, Architect or Engineer will need to stand over the works.
    Ideally we are looking to put on a two storey extension. It would be 11 feet x 23 feet, so just over 250 feet squared. I have read that I'd be looking at a bargain basement of €100 per square foot, €130 - €170 for a decent job and €200 per square foot for a top of the line finish. Are those figures relatively accurate?

you are over the threshold for an Assigned certifier Role under the new BCAR system, so you need to engage a Registered Architect, Chartered Engineer, or Chartered Building Surveyor for the construction stage of the project.
    Would you mind elaborating about the need for planning permission at 1st floor? I don't quite follow...it has to be less than 12m2? I hadn't seen or heard that anywhere.

If I were to get the ground floor to be about 25m2 and made the upstairs 12m2, is it then exempt? I don't particularly need the upstairs to be that big, just need an additional bedroom.

In some cases yes, but to be exempt, the new walls at first floor level need to be a particular distance (2 meters from memory) from the boundary they face to be exempt so in essence it makes it useless for the typical 3 bed semi in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I jumped the gun there! To elaborate:
    If your a semi-d or terrace the max is 12m2 @ 1st floor & 20m2 of your detached.http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

sorry if I jump in, I have a couple of questions myself please.

1) If my back yard is 40m2 (mid-terrace house), does it mean I can have an extension of maximum 15m2 in the back yard?

2) Could I extend on two floors, of 12m2 at ground level and 12m2 at first floor level then?

3) Also, if I put a small roof in the front yard, just in front of my entrance, will it be considered as an extension? (roof + 2 columns, no walls).

4) If I seek planning permission, is it possible that they will allow an extension larger than 15m2 in the back yard, or those rules are staying regardless of planning permissions?

thanks in advance!

robnet77 wrote: »
    sorry if I jump in, I have a couple of questions myself please.

1) If my back yard is 40m2 (mid-terrace house), does it mean I can have an extension of maximum 15m2 in the back yard?

2) Could I extend on two floors, of 12m2 at ground level and 12m2 at first floor level then?

3) Also, if I put a small roof in the front yard, just in front of my entrance, will it be considered as an extension? (roof + 2 columns, no walls).

4) If I seek planning permission, is it possible that they will allow an extension larger than 15m2 in the back yard, or those rules are staying regardless of planning permissions?

thanks in advance!

1. To remain exempt from planning, yes, 15 Sq. m would be your limit.
    2. Yes, but the 12 Sq. m upstairs needs to adhere to stricter rules, distance to boundary etc
    3. As long as the roof doesn't exceed the area of an exempted porch then you will be ok. But, you will need to confirm this yourself with the exact type of roof, area etc
    4. Yes, planning can be obtained for a larger extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lizabbey7

Hi I have been reading through many different posts and I just wanted to get an idea of the cost to build an extension to the existing kitchen/ diner going upstairs to increase size of a bedroom. Building withing the max without planning. Whilst also converting our existing attached garage to a bedroom with ensuite. Its already plumbed and has power.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

lizabbey7 wrote: »
    Hi I have been reading through many different posts and I just wanted to get an idea of the cost to build an extension to the existing kitchen/ diner going upstairs to increase size of a bedroom. Building withing the max without planning. Whilst also converting our existing attached garage to a bedroom with ensuite. Its already plumbed and has power.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Where are you based?
    How far is next doors boundary from the side of the house?
    Building at first floor level is without planning is hard to achieve if in an urban setting.

kceire wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    How far is next doors boundary from the side of the house?
    Building at first floor level is without planning is hard to achieve if in an urban setting.

Hi we are based in Westmeath on an acre site.

Hi we are based in Westmeath on an acre site.

Best to double check your parent application to ensure the exemptions are not de-exempted for your dwelling. You may require planning for any sized extension.

Ok I will look into that. Having to get planning isnt the end of the world. Do you have any idea of costings for that size extension?

Ok I will look into that. Having to get planning isnt the end of the world. Do you have any idea of costings for that size extension?

You didn't give any sizes.

sorry I had within the max without requiring planning so the 40 sqm with 12 of those going upstairs. Thanks

• Advertisement

Just checked with council and we dont need planning as its to the back of the house.

Just checked with council and we dont need planning as its to the back of the house.

Section 41H ;)
    28 at ground and 12 on top. No windows facing the boundaries unless they are over 11m away which in your case on an acre of land it should be fine ;)

Allow 60k imo

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gcomer123

Hi there,

We're looking to build a granny flat on the side of our house (Dublin 8). We will need planning so need an architect but just trying to get an idea of costs.

What we're looking at is:
    - 250 sq ft with a small bathroom, bedroom / living room open plan with small kitchen area, door connecting to the current house and also it's own front door (front door + 3 windows; one at front, one at side and small one at back in toilet)
    - We're looking to keep it as cheap as possible, not sure how long it will get used. But we're happy with lower end bathrooms / kitchens / flooring etc.

Are targeting a build of €25,000 (100 sq / ft). Anyone done something similar? Any builders on here want to get in touch etc?

Thanks
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

gcomer123 wrote: »
    Hi there,

We're looking to build a granny flat on the side of our house (Dublin 8). We will need planning so need an architect but just trying to get an idea of costs.

- 250 sq ft with a small bathroom, bedroom / living room open plan with small kitchen area, door connecting to the current house and also it's own front door (front door + 3 windows; one at front, one at side and small one at back in toilet)
    - We're looking to keep it as cheap as possible, not sure how long it will get used. But we're happy with lower end bathrooms / kitchens / flooring etc.

Are targeting a build of €25,000 (100 sq / ft). Anyone done something similar? Any builders on here want to get in touch etc?

Thanks
    G

We'll need a bit more info such as , current site details (access, drains etc)

I think you could need to add another 5 to 10 k onto the budget though if you want to build to current regs. Especially if your planning on letting it out.

Hi there,

Thanks
    G

Sorry forgot to add, the only way of getting accurate quotes is to get an architect on board. Get some drawings of what you want and take it from there. Don't entertain anyone who wants to build without plans from a professional.

Hi there,

Thanks
    G
    double that

I think you could need to add another 5 to 10 k onto the budget though if you want to build to current regs. Especially if your planning on letting it out.
    you won't be renting a granny flat - that would be a 'flat' and would require separate services, boundary, open space, driveway etc

Hi there,

Thanks
    G

Allow more than 25k for even basic finish.
    I just finished a 23 Sq. M one and the price came in at 30ish

Plus don't plan on the separate front door, DCC have stopped giving permission for them and you now have to provide the acces from within the existing dwelling. You can be smart and creat a porch area and split the entrance within the porch though.

5-10k extra I agree with, renting it out would be a breach of planning conditions somshouldnt really be encouraged.

kceire wrote: »
    Allow more than 25k for even basic finish.
    I just finished a 23 Sq. M one and the price came in at 30ish

Plus don't plan on the separate front door, DCC have stopped giving permission for them and you now have to provide the acces from within the existing dwelling. You can be smart and creat a porch area and split the entrance within the porch though.

5-10k extra I agree with, renting it out would be a breach of planning conditions somshouldnt really be encouraged.

Totally agree that it shouldn't be encouraged or perhaps tolerated but it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gordo85

Hi,

Just a quick one - hoping for some advice / pointers / feedback!

We are looking into building a single storey extension onto the rear of our 3 bed semi-D in Dublin. Area is 4.5m2 X 2.5m2 approx (11.25m2 circa).

I am almost 100% that there are no drains beneath the site - house is a new build and waste etc from upstairs goes through pipes / drains at gable end.

Happily for us our neighbours built an extension to the rear of their home a few years ago, so on that basis we would be building onto that (this covers the 4.5m2 length of the extension).

Just wondering if peeps could give an update re likely build cost for this - seeking builders' finish with 1x radiator, 1x double socket etc.

Is a ballpark of €1k per m2 a good basis as a rough calculation? Presumably this is exclusive of vat @ 23% ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers - apologies if similar has been discussed recently.

• Advertisement

There must be at least 1 person a week who asks this, I wish more would come back and confirm what the works to compete to Builders finish/complete/spent in rest of the connecting existing spaces cost.

Just priced a 9m2 glazed on 2 walls extension, with a 3m ope to an existing ~30m2 kitchen room getting renovated ~45k complete.

Advertisement