Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Again your lack of knowledge is exposed.

In the civil service the working week is 35 hours net, i.e. not including lunch.

Lunch break is a mandatory 30 mins, but can be up to 2 hrs, and is unpaid. One must clock out. If one does not clock out, 2 hours will be deducted.

Officially breaks are 15 mins morning and afternoon and are paid, one does not clock out. However it's been 20 years since I've done anything other than make a cuppa and bring it back to my desk.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Plenty of suspect posts. Some people have to have an opinion on everything. A daily post limit would improve this place no end. There's a particular poster I have in mind who slabbers on any forum I happen to visit. Altho they're on ignore, they post so frequently that it ruins the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Seems unreasonable not to allow Flexi when you WFH. What if something comes up that needs a response any you've completed your day.

Surely even limiting it to working an hour or two per day when WFH gives flexibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

From experience with people I know, there’s still a lot of flexibility allowed with managers. It seems most places aren’t enforcing the 9:15-17:30 day (no one I know who works in the public service does this at home). If they have to do something that requires extra time one day, they work less time another day

They're all quiet happy with the arrangements, but yes none of them can accrue flexi time at home

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

That's not too bad then. I have never been in an office that operated on the 9.15 - 17.30 day, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Many places still operate flexible working hours, it's just the accrual of hours for flexi leave that is not allowed when working from home.

But the starting time, finish time, core bands etc, are all still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yup. We have internal customers, we don't have an on-call allowance. We provide the service during the core hours, 9:12 to 17:30 (9 effing 12, how did that come about!), 17:15 on Fridays. We will absolutely still provide service before and after those times if people are around, or when requested in advance, but they're the only "guaranteed" hours.

And my employer lets people accrue flexi when WFH. The work gets done.

The 9:12 came about with the move from 7:27 to 7:00 hours. :) Or in old money, 6:57 to 7:00 hours.

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah, the "We got your 7-hour day back!" switcheroo from the unions! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Just a minor point on your post. There is no official entitlement to a morning or afternoon break in the civil service. The lunch break legally covers your rest period.

I used to think we were officially entitled to our 15min/20min morning break, until my AP corrected me!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CivilServantCP

Revenue and NSSO allowing 4 days WFH per week is what I'm hearing. Can anyone confirm this? Sign me up!

One Department planning to up it to 3 days in office. Going to lose a lot of staff on mobility and will not be able to compete on the job market front. Merrion Square is one of the most expensive places and time consuming commutes.

Do they not want to retain experienced staff and have an inclusive and diverse work place?

Backwards they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

I’m in Revenue and we can work remotely 4 days a week & work up flexi when remote working….

We got to chose which day we wanted to work in the office & we book our desk for that day, very accommodating if we ever want to swap our anchor day for any reason.

Please bear in mind that working in Revenue is not for everyone but I love it. There’s a serious amount of training involved at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

I'm also in Revenue and work 4 days from home and can build up flexi when WFH. There is also an option to book a desk in any of the Revenue offices in the country which is very handy as I'm going to a concert in Dublin next month on a Monday and rather than taking an AL day I've booked a desk in one of the Dublin offices to work in day of the concert and day after so don't have to take any leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Sounds like Revenue allow great flexibility for their staff.....a pity more don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

NSSO same, 4 days work from home and can build up flexi anywhere

Nice but it makes you wonder why they enforce the one day a week at all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Each Dept can decide their own policy, within the parameters of DPERs Blended Working Framework. That is why there isn't an "All Departments" circular.

A sure-fire way of upsetting employees is to float the idea of changes to their remote or flexible working patterns. Workers have become comfortable with the new order and putting them under pressure to come back to the office is guaranteed to raise the collective blood pressure sky high.

One of the reasons why is that employees suspect they’re being brought back for spurious reasons: the startling truth is that they’re probably right. Managers may think they are basing their return decisions on hard facts but, in reality, evidence-based decision-making is surprisingly thin on the ground in most organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭BalboBiggins

On a side note, do revenue actually take the tax evasion reports seriously? I thought I'd ask since there are revenue employees on here and I know someone doing a lot of cash in hand work.

One Department planning to up it to 3 days in office. 

What Department, and who is spreading the rumour? First I've heard of it. It actively contradicts government policy, especially as the "right to seek remote work" legislation just came in.

It does really emphasise the need to be in a union. I know in my place, an increase wouldn't be countenanced - by management as much as by staff! - but if management did try it, there'd be huge pushback from staff.

This is a thread about blended working in the civil service, though, so please ask elsewhere.

I think the idea behind the one day a week is so you can meet everyone face to face one day a week. Our Anchor day is a set day we don’t have any option to change it.

As a previous poster said, there is a lot of training involved at the beginning and if you are moved again that’s more training but it is a great place to work in, plus loads of OT in my section if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

Yes, I generally do overtime on weekdays from 5pm till 8pm & Saturdays 8am till 4pm - all done WFH

In our section it’s 4.45 -8 week nights and Sat 8-4 and it is all monitored. Your hourly stats have to be sent at the end of the shift

Deleted

Post edited by claregal1 on

Advertisement