Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭jj880

So took my son to Aldi on Saturday for a trial run. 4 plastic bottles accepted 1 rejected at Aldi.

Mildly annoyed with that but the deal breaker was having to go into the shop to get money or discount. Shop was very busy. First question he asked was why cant the money be added to my revolut? I answered "maybe they'll add that later". Some chance of that happening.

Nearly half way through the "teething" / "trial" period and it looks like most people just arent bothered and the head lads at Re-Turn dont seem to give a sh!te either. More interested in spoofing with stats in the media trying to put lipstick on a pig. It's blatantly obvious the majority will be even more apathetic to this under full usage. Maybe that will be hailed as a "success" by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Woodcutting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'd love to be an avoider but short of installing a beer tap and getting in kegs of Guinness, I can't do that. I do plan to get a sodastream for making soft drinks. I just need to find somewhere nearby to recharge the gas bottles. Otherwise I have given up entirely on the system.

The russian roulette element where by the machine might be working, or half the cans may not be read, is too much hassle for a return of 1 or 2 euros.

The downside of course is a slab of Guinness has now gone up by 3.60 for me. Come the next local election, representatives from any party are going to get an absolute earful from me. I am really hoping a Green candidate knocks on my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭poppers

how is machine supposed to add money your sons revolut account. is any money back service able add money to revolut

the BOI atm cannot do that.

The technology does exist. It would not be hard to implement.

Some people on this thread are incredulous at some things I and others have suggested that the scheme could do.

Aww, bless.

• Advertisement

The Australians have it sorted for their RVM scheme as already discussed on this thread.

Ive no idea what a BOI atm has to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭poppers

That good to know i honeslty didnt know that.

Have you any examples of any service that can rtn money to you revoult account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well as someone who has had no issues to date, I'm seeing an increasing amount of machines out of order 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was that today? From filling up / more use over the weekend I wonder? Some of them seem flaky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Maybe this has been asked before, but I assume washing up liquid bottles etc are exempt?

In which case, wtf is the point in this scheme if tons of plastic bottles are exempt just because of their use-case?

• Advertisement

Well all you need to send someone money on revolut is their phone number.

I have gotten refunds to my revolut from Dominos, Tesco and Just Eat. Others too I am sure.

Ive no idea what a BOI atm has to do with this.

Having worked at BOI, it's no suprise they dont have some features that are the norm elsewhere. Some of their systems still run on steam.

Im still a bit lost on the link. So there are ATMs that can send money to revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i agree, that is too much hassle. And even worse if you have a large bag full of stuff. What i try to do is test it with 1 can or bottle when i'm passing or stick my head in the door to see whats up with the machines, and then later like 2 or so hours later come back with a bag after i know its working. But even this method sometimes fails me. A Lesson i've learned from all this is to not rely on returning any bags of stuff to an RVM machine if there's no other's nearby in other stores as a back up plan incase it doesnt work.

There are some places where this even fails, for instance a few weeks back i decided to take a trip down to dundrum, went through the whole villiage with a black bag of containers, both lidl machines out of use, dealz rvms out of use, marley park lidl both machines out of use, ended up having to go back to dundrum to tesco to get rid of them as last resort. Was entirely my own fault for having faith in the machines.

if i ever go down that way to dundrum ever again, i'm planning on phoning up the stores to ask if their machines are working BEFORE going down, or ask a friend to check in if they happen to be passing that way, and to let me know.

There's too much inconvenience being created by this scheme for them to call it a success. Even if they do call it a success i won't believe them. i just see the scheme as more bs being forced on people, and another example of a lazy governments way of dealing with a problem, by just profitting off of it instead of actually fixing it, by adding a tax to it. typical.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

I have no clue what relevance that poster thought BOI atm's had to the situation.

Only bottles and cans with the return logo (with a small few drink exceptions) are eligible. Washing up liquid bottles, milk bottles, and paper containers are exempt from the scheme as they are not a quick easy money fast cash profitable recyclable for re-turn.

The point of the scheme is to make amends and cover the behinds of our country which messed up by being neglibale and irresponsible with irish peoples recycling all these years, by privatizing its collection, and selling it to private bin companys who then go on to sell it or burn it instead of actually recycling it. European union caught irelands government with its pants down, and put the wind up them by giving them this 90% target goal, as most other eu counteries are recycling properly. And thus this scheme was born. but its cheating stats and only counting/record keeping of sold and returned deposits in their numbers. But ireland is still selling the recycleables and burning, re-turn cant even gurantee that any of our items will be recycled. Their goal is to build a recycling plant using the unclaimed deposit money, yet somehow also expect to reach a recycle rate of 90% lol. they're clowns.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

yeah but nobody wants an RVM having their phone number, god only knows what that could lead to. RVM's ringing you up in the middle of the night asking to be fed, and demanding you to bring back more containers. It's pure harassment.

Some may even begin making threats, or when voting time comes could get spammed with "VOTE GREEN PARTY!" messages.

Don't laugh and bear with me here. With a properly implemented system, it could be done very easily and securely.

I know you are reading this and thinking "With a properly implemented system... don't make me laugh bitterly"

There are numerous other ways it could be done. Scan the QR code that was generated on screen to apply the voucher to your revolut account.

Ive had the same PTSB account since I was 12, and always got my salary paid into it. I used to pay the 40 "extra charge" to get notified that my salary had gone in. Once a month around 11am, I would get a text to say "A large sum has been added to your account". Great. Except by the time I got the text I had already spent half of it on rent, monthly travel ticket, bills etc. I got revolut and all that stopped. Someone could send me 5 euro and I would instantly get a notification that someone sent me 5 euro. Or I could buy a pack of mints in the shop and see that 2 minutes ago I spent 90 cent in Spar in Dundrum. I remember it being said around the time of the bank bailout that now we can get proper banking reform, but the established banks resistance to adopting modern technology has meant Revolut has come in offering frankly not difficult to do features.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any of those bog standard card terminals in shops can make payments to a card as well as take payments from them, wouldn't be difficult to set up in an RVM. The retailers want you to go inside the shop though, so no chance of that happening outside of a recycling centre or some independent operator.

yes it can easily done no doubt about it. i know for a fact the opposite already exists as i had been looking into vending machines a few years before covid happened. And what i've seen is the upgraded version of coin mechs, bill accepters, credit card readers etc. Basically imagine something like a small mini bank machine built onto the infastructure, but instead of having to insert a card anywhere you just move the card against the card reader or tap it, already simular to what some shops have, or something akin to the mechanism used by leapfrog hop on hop off cards which students always seem to have these days.

The thing you mention about receiving text messages reminds me of the 2 step verification thing some websites have, where you get a text on your phone as soon as someone attempts to log in. Some camera's have this sort of thing too, where a person recieves a text message when they're out, if someone knocks, comes in the garden or rings the doorbell.

This re-turn scheme and whole rvm thing has failed too many people and too many times, and does'nt even deserve to be taken seriously anymore. its clear return don't have our best interests at heart, and only their own. So i've given up on really ever caring about their scheme and taking it seriously. Unless they make a change that benefits the people in some way or make the deposit cost less for people, or solve the hoem deliveries thing, i don't really care what they do.

some vending machines already have credit card readers as well as digital payment options for things like bitcoin or digital wallets, so yes it is possible. i find it unlikely return would do this as it costs money $$$ err i mean €€€ money! re-turn would find some way to make the people pay for this if they did do it. Like increasing the deposits.

"i fear to see what the future will bring, because we're living in real gangster times"- the specials

• Advertisement

Another anecdote, if no-one minds. I used to have a job where I had to man the office outside of hours. SO one Sunday night around midnight, feeling a bit peckish, I went to the vending machine for a bag of hunky dory's and it only takes coins. Ive no coins on me. Very annoying. Next day, weekly team meeting, "Anyone have anything they want to raise?", Its possible I was in a bad mood for some completely unrelated reason but went on a rant about the vending machine. Considering we are a payment gateway, is it too much to ask that the vending machine might accept card payment?

Fair enough, 3 days later, a tap and pay vending machine was installed.

To the poster earlier that asked, anyone with a sum-up machine can do a return charge, where the money goes back to the card. It's not just revolut by the way, all cards can accept that kind of payment.

i just realized another reason why re-turn wont do this and shows they don't have the people's best interests at heart.

if a person brings back a bunch of bottles/cans, and then taps a card to get the deposit that way, they won't be baited into going inside of the store and can easily walk away from the RVM without having to go inside or go to any queues, and return doesnt want that. Nor does the stores. They want people coming inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

The shops aren't paying for and installing the machines for environmental reasons. It's to drive footfall to their shops, so all of this talk about technology being available is moot. Even if the machines could be retrofitted to make payments why would shops do it? It's not going to happen because of the way the scheme was implemented.

i just said exactly that 3 minutes before you lol.

But no also, the shops are doing it because of being forced to, by law. And that whole return thing being mandated. Return was meant to go live 2021, 2022, but didn't (covid or whatever excuse idk), and then jan 1st 2023 again they were meant to and more postpone...

Essentially many businuessess and drink producers basically gave them the two fingers clearly and told them to shove it, the only difference now is that re-turn had back up (law behind them).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

On the first visit today, 12x2L bottles and Approximately 10 cans, were all accepted and the machine printed the receipt fine.

I had a quick look at the machine before I started and discovered that if you tap the top of the screen it displays a graphic of both internal bins depicting how full each bin is. Handy if you were trying to return a large amount and the bins were almost full.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably doesn't do that on every model of machine, but I'm now going to have to tap there on every one I use just in case.

I've been doing 3-4x drops a week since day 1, due to my households rather severe coke (zero) addiction, and so far I've had one machine out of service in the entire time. Maybe mainly using a machine that is still not on the re-turn map is helping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭elperello

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It's probably a hidden Easter Egg type thing to aid the people who empty the bins, it saves them from having to open the machine to find out.

• Advertisement

yeah but thats cheating! and normally in most cases they don't empty the bins until the machine says its full or out-of-order

Advertisement