Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking - Shooting and Explosion at Concert Hall in Moscow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We dont know how they were captured or even if these are the attackers.

But it seems reasonable to propose such attackers would expect they might be intercepted and prepare measures to ensure they wouldnt be taken alive.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

And then when push comes to shove, you pussy out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ya walking willingly towards the tender loving care of the FSB is the easy way out...

You are shifting the goalposts from post to post contradicting yourself as you go.

First they werent the sharpest...

Then they were tired from the constant mental stress - which is a totally different claim to saying they werent the sharpest. As is saying they are irrational or that they are hearing voices in their heads. All of them?

Which is it?

You are continually shifting the goalposts of your argument with so many claims some of which are contradictory.

This was a planned in detail attack they didnt just burst in open fire and leg it. They laid explosives.

These were not morons except morally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭jmreire

There's always a possibility that things will not go according to plan, and that's included in the plan too, and why you have "PLAN B". But the theatre attack went pretty much to plan, I'd say. They entered the theatre, carried out the plan, and made their escape. Plan B may have entailed a fight to the death (Martyrdom) had they miscalculated the police / military presence there, or the arrival of the police / military arriving before they had finished and trapping them inside. All of this would have been discussed and planned for. The rule is " Fail to plan, plan on failing". And it was not the first time they had been on operations like this, in my view.

• Advertisement

Is it? You seem to be speaking from experience or else it is just an idolised idea of how things should have gone or how they planned it.

Again this isn’t an action movie it’s real life. Without an iota of detail we are drawing absolute conclusions that they can’t be the attackers because the attackers would have killed themselves or been killed by the FSB.

It’s not just speculation either from some people they are demanding these things as fact because.

End of the day you haven’t a clue what the plan was other than to terrorise innocent civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, most ISIS terrorists wind up killing themselves (kind of odd that these guys didn't and allowed themselves to get captured) but who knows - maybe they are still at large.

As to Moscow, it looks much better if they catch suspects without letting them kill themselves. Putting suspects in a dock publicly is a win-win situation for Putin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

https://archive.ph/l1cd4

Alot of video and photo evidence. They had no plan to change their clothes or change car

Where is the absolute conclusion stated in my post?

As I said it is reasonable to propose it given the apparent planning that went into the attack, and the types of 'martyrdoms' from attackers such as these following terrorist attacks.

Do you disagree?

Are you speaking from experience when you say thats not a reasonable thing to propose?

It is entirely reasonable to propose that we consider that the guys caught may not actually be the attackers.

End of the day you dont have a clue either, dont have an iota of detail therefore so on what basis is it unreasonable that we consider that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭rogber

That's not going to happen. Even at its height Isis only carried out a few big attacks in the West. It's not going to bring down Putin's government, get a grip on reality

• Advertisement

Yes. It was definitely Islamists, even Putin admits that now, but four guys who'd let themselves be taken alive by Russian security forces after committing a horrendous massacre? Sounds dubious...till you remember the Bataclan guys also fled and some were later captured alive. So not impossible

In that pic of the 4 shooters, one thing stands out. The 4 are all using their left hands, with the finger pointing upwards. Looks typical ISIS, except for the fact the Muslims always use their right hands for gestures etc, as they consider the left hand "dirty". Something very strange going on here....are they even Muslims????

No, they are not posing any challenge to Putin militarily, but they will increase people's mistrust of him as being capable of protecting them, and as my Russian friend told me that the other day, civilians are now getting scared about their own safety. Random ISIS attacks will definitely increase that fear and weaken confidence in Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

In the beginning. That's how it began, but like Al Qaeda, Islamic State has spread and metastasized all over the Muslim world and beyond. There are Turkish jihadis,Tadjik, Kazakh, North African, Indian, Pakistani, Russian and European Moslem jihadis. Wherever there are Moslems living there are potential IS members and there are dozens of countries that are potential targets including Moslem countries where ''infidel''(Moderate Sunnis, Shias, Ismailis etc) Moslems reside. They're completely unlike the IRA who only had one target, the British state and the PIRA rarely attacked it outside of Britain and Ireland. IS and it's franchises are an enemy of all Christians, all westerners, all non-believers and the Russians, considering their wars in Afghanistan, Chechyna and Syria are just as much a target as France or Britain.

Post edited by ilkhanid on

They have 11 of them, killing the 4 gunmen looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭brickster69

The shirts are not identical either. Well the tan and grey ones are not the same for sure.

All roads lead to Rome.

uts like try to expect unexpected

You can't

These things are seat of the pants shooting civilians at a concert, it's not rocket science

The guys planning it don't give a **** about the people doing the grunt work

Nothing I said was contradictory

You can be thick and stressed, 2 things at the same time

GOAAAAAL

There are people who have carried out mass shootings who have brain injuries, PTSD... It's not that complex or hard, when they can't shoot back

These lads are from ballygobackward

Uneducated, just like those poor feckers conscripted by Putin in Ukraine, had never seen a toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't think that's right: I remember reading about the Bataclan killers that they were clearly not just randomers who'd been handed guns and told to go in and open fire, that it's not easy to do everything that's needed to get as far as actually killing large numbers of people, and that's why the Bataclan guys were hardened soldiers who'd fought in (I think it was) Syria.

I'm sure it's possible to do something with four village idiots from the Siberian equivalents of Ballygobackwards, but if so, the chances are they'll get caught before anyone is killed, or they might get one or two policemen before they get taken out. No way are they going to get in, kill over a hundred people, burn the place to the ground and make a getaway even for a few hours.

I guess it's possible the four in custody might be the B team, who were there to take the fall to allow the main guys to get out? Just a random thought, I've no idea how likely that is, but it doesn't seem impossible.

Do you think that lads fighting in Syria need to be Harvard alumn?

• Advertisement

Not what I said, and I was referring to comments from analysts of the Bataclan, not my own musings (the first bit I mean)

You said they had experience fighting in Syria

There are guys with experience fighting in Ukraine who have never seen a toilet

Sorry I don't see the link between becoming a soldier and growing up a developed country. You become a trained soldier in a war. Not at university.

And no need for indoor plumbing either.

Question: if the four guys in custody are not the perpetrators and the real ones escaped, why wouldn't ISIS or whoever it is release a gloating video of the real perpetrators (masked or whatever), who would be long escaped by now? Would be absolutely humiliating for Putin and Russian security and a PR triumph for the terrorists. Yet they have said nothing to suggest these aren't the people

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭engineerws

I don't mean to be rude but in your own words there is no correlation between Russia being evil and birth rate. You just seem to have a particular dislike of Russia which may be well merited. Fwiw, we're below replacement in Ireland too, 1.7 births per woman.

I've never lived in countries invaded by Russia/ USA. I was in Vietnam backpacking but didn't live there. I've lots of friends in the US and it's hard not to feel connected to it but their foreign policy is a disaster. I think they've gone off the rails since the eighties. I heard good things about Russia from the nineties and people who went there but I've never been. Maybe that's why I fail to understand why they are so much more evil than the USA as you claim.

Post edited by engineerws on

Anyone can be drafted to be a soldier, it's no basis for education or intelligence, you are just fed into the meat grinder

You're throwing out about 4-5 explanations see what sticks, widening the goalposts so you can score a 'point'.

Maybe they were tired, and not the sharpest, and hearing voices, and irrational and ... new one added... PTSD. So are they not the sharpest or do they have PTSD? That's what I mean by shifting goalposts.

You can be stressed and tired, you can have PTSD ... doesn't mean you are "not the sharpest tool in the box". You can be irrational and have high IQ. You can hear voices have a high IQ.

Well for someone who has never seen a toilet, they knew their way around the concert hall. This wasn't like a school shooting situation where it was someone who was familiar with the school from attending, who attended the school every day and so had a reason to be there. So there is a complexity and hardness to it on some level.

Then you talk in vague terms, "people who have carried out mass shootings", ignoring that this wasn't just "a mass shooting" but a co-ordinated attack, including setting fires which then brought down the roof. You don't engage with the nature of the actual attack at all.

This is a totally different type of task than being conscripted, armed, put into a large military unit under officers and given orders to attack this or that target without initiative. Or a loner going on a rampage in their school.

If they had enough 'sharpness', as a small unit, to get to the target, with weapons, carry it out as they did... it is reasonable that they would have considered their exit plan or possibility of being taken alive. And that they could be taken alive by the FSB - not the police force of an EU state - and what that might mean.

Sorry to disagree with you monkeybutter, but organizing and carrying out a deadly attack in a heavily policed city like Moscow, and getting away safely afterwards, is NOT a seat of the pants endeavor, for sure!!! Have a look at any of the SAS-Seal movies out there and see the amount of planning that goes into them. That will give you some idea about what such an operation involves. The only difference being the scale of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ya certainly not impossible tbf.

That said being captured by French authorities vs the FSB are two entirely different scenarios from a human rights perspective and thus differing levels of motivation not to be captured alive.

The bataclan fella who was wounded and captured was a driver wasn't he and it was months after.

The other lad just had links to the attack. And again it was months after.

All the others, the actual attackers died in martyrdom. Either by blowing themselves up or in gunfire with french authorities.

Advertisement