Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

What changed it in the past? Why did successive generations get wealthier? And what’s different this time around.

for my parents families it was education was the key. They were both born to very poor families, 1930s Ireland.. but finishing school early and night classes for the leaving cert and working in steady jobs and continued education moved them out of inner city public housing.

And their kids had better chances, we had access to third level and in spite of 2 recessions are mostly OK financially. Have nice houses not far from where we were raised, bigger and fancier houses than the parents and better salaries, well better household incomes, there are no SAHMs in this generation.

The next generation, now in their 20s, are also well educated and have reasonable salaries but the houses their parents own are way beyond their means. they aren’t going to out earn their parents very quickly I think.

So yes I’d agree generational wealth growth will be negative.

Is this the usual scenario,,, Ireland over the past 3 generations? From council flats to detached houses back to renting then maybe buying miles away or very small homes?

and how can it change? A massive increase in housing supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The baby boomers (1946-1964) are starting to die off (sorry if that sounds morbid but it’s life folks 😀) - the offspring from those born in the first decade of this period were born around late 60s and mid 70s- these were mostly sorted with reasonably priced housing in the main - offspring of those born mid 80s onwards are probably struggling more than their older cousins.

So the offspring are starting to inherit their parents wealth albeit life expectancy is approaching early 80s now so this will take another 5-8 years to really take off. That will release significant housing - however it will also release significant wealth - ergo while demand for such housing might start to be met by supply, there will be more money around )parent to child wealth) which will keep prices high

Post edited by Oscar_Madison on

I guess that’s true. My parents had their (v small) inheritances in their 50’s. Which they shared with us kids since they weren’t in need of it, But they look set to live well in their 90s. So my siblings and I can’t expect a massive inheritance as they’ll need care. Which is absolutely as it should be and I’m not in any way complaining.

But the “granny died” inheritance that was a feature for my of my peers in their late 20s and early 30s is going to be delayed for my kids. and won’t be there to get them started on the property ladder. May not even happen as with middle aged kids still working expensive care will be needed.

applied across the nation I can that will have an impact. And also my parents and many of their peers will live in their own homes and won’t be moving in with their middle aged kids. Obviously some will move into sheltered housing of some sort but as my parents road has many houses occupied by elderly folks living with some support. So that’s a lot of houses not going on the market too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A long time ago I went to London as a teenager, because there was very little opportunty here. But if you had a job you wouldn't really have struggled to buy or build a house. Nowadays you could be working for years in a middling job and not be able to afford rent. It's a big and very negative change.

I've been in construction/development all my life and things aren't likely to get better quickly. The sector can't possibly deliver the number of houses that are wanted for several years. Ireland will be lucky if it has a normal housing market by 2030. If immigration stays high it'll get worse rather than better.

Not everyone would agree with this, but I think it's a much harder time to be a young person in Ireland than it was 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not so sure - one of the notable changes in my life time has been the shift from caring for elderly relatives in the home and often getting benefit of a bequest. To the elderly living in nursing homes at considerable cost. The so called 'fair deal' scheme is basically a way of siphoning off a substantial portion of the wealth accumulated and transferring it to private enterprises and of course the state in form of employment and other taxes.

• Advertisement

I think many with real experience of young adults in their 20s and 30s will strongly agree with you. Unless you are very well off as a family or actually poor and in the system for state supports, then the situation is tricky for many.

True

my grandmothers were cared for by my own mother. One had no property anyway as it was a farm and went to a son and his wife. The other sold her house and split the proceeds over her kids, my mum cared for them. she was a SAHM. Her labour was free of charge, None of my generation are. When care is needed it will have to be paid for, a substantial part of the value of the house may go on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You could say what's inside instead of just dumping it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And what’s different this time around.

Old people are living longer is a rather massive part of it. Pensions are paid for longer, housing is taken up for longer. The percentage spend on welfare for older people is increasing and increasing. The spend on healthcare for older people is increasing and increasing.

There is no easy answer to any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The government will not let a massive increase in housing happen.

They are letting more and more educated immigrants in to the country. I work with an Indian guy. he told me Ireland has the cheapest student fees for foreign educated immigrants than any other. Its double the fees in the UK. 28000 euro. Here it's 14. Once these immigrants secure a job over 36000 salary they can get a visa. Stay here 5 years and permanent residency. These people will need houses aswell as our own and there will be a never ending supply of demand thanks to this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They need to attract people to actually build houses; tech bros and deliveroo drivers won't be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is effectively no property tax here and the cost of building is so high, they need to build cheaper studio's and one beds etc and not on greenfield, miles from anything, they need to start building this on brownfield and existing business parks etc, beside good rail links ideally…

relocate dublin port… and possibly redevelop east point business park for housing only…

I see there's a growing trend for couples to try and take advantage of the 'vacant home' and 'derelict' grants scheme, worth €50k and €70k respectively. So people are searching around for doer uppers and hoping to get a house that way. But these schemes have drawbacks, first lots reporting that old cottages that were priced at say €60k last year typically are now being priced at say €100k and more - so the grant or part of it is being priced in by the vendors. Once past that hurdle, all the renovation work must be paid up front and then only on final inspection, does hopefully the grant come back. This all has to be in done in 13 months and there's a chronic shortage of tradespeople in many places. Where they are available, they're pricing the work high as well and of course cost of building materials has rocketed for everyone.

So these schemes probably suit those who already own property and/or those who can do a good bit of the work themselves. But they are not a good fit for couples trying to get a home as total costs likely exceed the average new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

God it's depressing, isn't it? Any sniff of a rip off opportunity and they're off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

"There are more pros than cons to living at home. But being asked to fill up the dishwasher or make your bed can be a bit disheartening and frustrating for a 28-year-old."

Its's probably even more dishearting and frustrating for her parents that a 28 year old needs to be told, rather than naturally pitching in with the running of the household🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Your Indian guy - did he fail to mention the free tertiary education in Germany. Ireland is hardly the cheapest. I have read of American students who can't afford college in the US going to Germany to study.

There is no easy answer on the construction side other than to encourage and facillitate more people to pursue trades and technical educations and that's got a significant lead time.

On the affordabilty side, there is a lot that could be done, but won't, given government on costs amount to about 50% of the cost of housing.

Both my children have IT related degrees, no jobs and live at home. Plus my sons friend who is autistic and has a biochemistry degree focused on genetics.

Yep, downsizing or rightsizing or whatever they call it, has gone a bit out of date. Upsizing will be more of a trend soon, extensions and garden rooms (lived in).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Asian communities in the UK . They have their own thing going on. Either there live in a multi generational house - this works well, 3 generations living together. Another way they manage the housing market ... A few family members pitch in a few thousand each, to get someone on the property ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 flancmange

You've got many a place designed for two people accommodating hilariously more people on floors and bunkbeds. And those landlords are raking it in. Those landlords in particular know precisely why they're getting so much. I doubt you'll be hearing a complaint from them ever.

Meanwhile, just as expected, the roll on effect on young irish people also being forced back into previously undesirable living conditions gathers pace.

Add in every other well known factor of, let's be honest, selling off quality of life of the many in exchange for the profit of the few, and you're essentially creating a powder keg of explosive reaction.

Society moves slowly, but it does react eventually, and it ain't going to calmed with some form of convoluted tax break or the yearly empty promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If youre the vast majoroty of workers in ireland, young workers, pay is a joke for the cost of living, half your pay over 40k taken, 40k in reland today is a pittance... just emigrate...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There are loads of IT jobs, is there nothing they can get in the field for more experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Build up and build an underground transportation system for Dublin. This was the solution 20 years ago and it's the solution now. The idiots in charge for the last 12 years have done the square root of sweet f all and we'll still be talking around in circles in another 20 years if we let them stay in power.

How's that going to work? When I left, the infrastructure scandal of the day was the Port Tunnel. How's building a metropolitan underground network going to be remotely practical if they ballsed up building a tunnel?

For context, the London underground began life in 1863 and is still very much a work in progress.

H. H. Asquith

One has aspergers and isn't cut out to work in a company environment - of all disabilities in the UK, those with aspergers have the highest unemployment rate - 78%. Their expertise and interest is in game development, and In the past year game companies have been laying off tens of thousands of experienced and skilled workers, entire studios have been closed. Microsoft just closed the Arkane studio in Austin, that produced the Arkane games and Prey, this past week, along with another studio in Canada and one in Tokyo.

The layoffs are further devastating news in the gaming industry. An
    estimated 10,000 people globally lost their jobs in the sector in 2023,
    and that number is close to being matched already this year.

The other is facing that old saw of no one wanting new graduates, only those with years of experience and that being very niche in the specific tools the company uses, which don't happen to be those that were learned in college. One avenue for getting started in employment is often with the company you interned with during studies, but they even lucked out there as that company only has senior positions and interns and nothing in between, despite reporting to the college they over-achieved.

Also, not being near Dublin is a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Online courses and maybe volunteer to do some IT training in an old folks home. It’s best not to be idle when not working, build up the CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I emigrated 3 times :)

Living elsewhere is fine for a while, but ultimately Ireland is a good country to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

You are right, let's never do anything and complain about everything. The Irish way.

Advertisement