Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

To be frank, it kinda depends where you live. We live rural too and options for college were far, so this necessitated a move for ours. We supported them while in college, afterwards they worked and rented but escalating costs etc brought them home. So you well be in the same boat in a few years. As I said, I thought we were a bit unusual but on chatting to them about it, they say no - many of their college friends are in similar position at home in some form or another. So it appears to be the a new norm and I don't think it's that great really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

With respect though I think moving out for college is completely different to actually moving out. I moved out monday to friday for college but I still regarded my parents home as my home. I dont think most parents view their child moving out as a student as permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Most 18 year olds in the country are still at secondary school though, so although it might have been relevant before transition year was introduced and kids generally started school at 4 years old, it just serves to skew the data in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I agree with this but it's sad to consider what happens to young people who don't have good parents and what they would have to go through. What happens to a young person who's turfed out as soon as they get a job or has parents who demand rental payments to continue living at home? Or the most unfortunate with no living parents and no family home.

It's a really desperate situation since I cannot imagine a scenario where a young person could ever own their own house without significant help from their parents in some form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

As have I.

Ive been to Thailand were they are meant to be poor. Experienced their healthcare system firsthand.

No comparison to the hellhole excuse we call a healthcare system here.

You say we are all well off, doesn’t really matter much when health, housing, law and order, education infrastructure etc etc etc are crumbling around us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

"It's not mass immigration, your parents are living too long".

Looking forward to seeing that on an election poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The abolition of bedsits was a disaster for young people

some of them were kips but it got you out of the house for a reasonable price

but when you are young with no kids you don’t care where you are living

Yep, I grew up in one of the 'bedsit lands' in Dublin. Every other house seemed to be divided up.

And it wasn't just students and young workers in them, also a cohort of older & elderly people who were able to afford them.

That was part of the legacy of John Gormley's Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bring back the tenements!!

3 families to a room. That'll learn 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

On a morning when an Oireachtas Committee has recommended that Government legislate for euthanasia, Leo has resigned as Taoiseach and Leader of Fine Gael?

You won’t have to wait too long! 😂

• Advertisement

When did you move out yourself and get your own place? I'd say a good few of the posters on here got their foot on the ladder in the frugal and famine times of the "Celtic Tiger". Probably went around barefoot without shoes for a year or two to save up for a deposit. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

Got my own house in 2009 aged 28. Didn't go down the road of wasting money on rent after college so I was able to afford to buy.

If we go with the popular view of everyone moving out of home at age 18 we are heading for an even bigger housing problem than there is now.

It's a step on the ladder, then when they qualify they get on the ladder of life proper. Only to have it then pulled out from under their feet.

Well you have to acknowledge that you were also lucky with the timing. Whatever you bought was probably significantly less than it would have been 2 years previously, plus the lending limits wouldn't have been brought in then.The latter may or may not have been to your advantage. Your age would have been a considerable stoke of luck given that you might not have been in a position to buy at the peak, whereas you hit that sweet spot just after a crash (even if it hadn't quite bottomed out yet)

I don't anyone is going with the view that everyone should expect to move out to their own place at 18. I gather the disquiet is for people in their mid-late 30's who are reasonably well qualified or educated but still have to house-share regardless of their individual avocado consumption figures

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Reactionary nonsense that leaves us as we are, and following the neoliberal economic right. Look at Vienna or Helsinki for how to provide social housing and keep the rest of housing ( 1/3rd) within reasonable limits of people's income. https://www.politico.eu/article/vienna-social-housing-architecture-austria-stigma/ "Kögler’s situation is not unique in Vienna, where social housing is not exclusively for the poor: More than 60 percent of the city’s 1.8 million inhabitants live in subsidized housing and nearly half of the housing market is made up of city-owned flats or cooperative apartments. "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As is well known, our GDP is hugely distorted by MNC activities.

It is not a good measure of living standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Not a change at all, it's been at 13% of adults living with parents for twenty years. Overall population has increased. Yet they still vote in FFFG

In 2022, 522,486 adults aged 18+ were living with their parents. This was a 14% increase (+63,612) compared with 2016 and a 19% increase since 2011 (+83,008). This accounted for 13% of the adult population (aged 18+), the same % as in 2011 and 2016

In 2022, 24 was the youngest age at which the majority of people were not living with their parents. This was up from 23 in 2011.

• At the age of 28, 28% of people were living with their parents.
    • At 30 years of age, only 20% of people were living with their parents. Notably, however, in 2011, only 13% of people aged 30 lived with their parents.

What's needed are comparative stats from the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Yes, I've brought up Vienna as something we should be emulating here in Ireland on these forums. Still, it is amazing the number of people who defend failure in Ireland or try to rationalize it in some way. Housing in these capital cities is objectively better than in our capital in terms of what you get for your money. By comparison with these cities, we are a dismal failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I suppose we could elect a new government who would crash the economy, scare off the multinationals and the people who work for them, and turn our net postive immigration numbers into emigration. Then there would be loads of housing.

There'd also be no government revenue to pay for health services, gardai, social security etc but sure you can't have everything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Also with Vienna it's not like they don't have immigrants. I have an Auntie there from Finglas who's been there from the early 70s and a half Irish cousin there too lol, but as well as those two these are the stats:

34.2 per cent of Vienna's residents were foreign nationals, 39.3 per cent were born abroad and 44.4 per cent were of foreign origin, which means that they either held a foreign citizenship or were Austrian nationals born abroad

And still they have a social housing system that is lauded.

Last time I was there was '91 or '92 as a child but i remember all the news there was refugees on their border from the whole breakup of Yugoslavia thing. They seem to have handled everything quite well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Who could have anticipated that building a global economy that depends on steady +3% growth YOY would eventually hit a brick wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Adult children living at home is not necessarily a bad thing for many people and it is quite a complex societal issue with some of the living at home being by choice or at least is a rational decision. I know some families with "children" in their twenties and thirties living at home and both the parents and children seem content with it. Some of the children have partners, others don't and have seemingly little or no interest in getting one. None of the children have children of their own. I don't know how much they are saving for a house, I suspect some aren't bothered as they don't hold back with spending money on cars and holidays etc. - and Mammy's dinner is waiting for them in the evening when they return home from their well paid job.

If you can live at home and the house is big enough, it can be an efficient use of housing compared to people following the herd and handing over a couple of grand a month to a landlord while their parents' house is half empty.

A parent can have a health issue at any time that turns the family's world upside down. E.g. if someone has a stroke, they might be glad to have adult children at home rather than have to deal with the utter sh*tshow that is our social care system, nursing home care or getting useless paid carers in. Obviously if the children don't have children, then they themselves could face great difficulties when it's their turn to get old, sick and frail.

Inheritance and the dwelling house exemption and preservation of family wealth - if you live with your parents for 3 years and inherit thier 1 million euro house (of which there are plenty on Dublin) you pay zero capital acquisitions tax. If you have moved out or own other property, you now owe Revenue 219,450 in capital acquisitions tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's comical looking at rents in the cities. To get a room in a decent location they're asking 1200/1400 per month. For a single room! Unless you are a graduate and only a sought after profession, it's just not affordable.

You don't seem to hear too much from any of our politicians on this though. Apparently housing foreigners is a greater priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I wouldn't be using stats during the pandemic where throngs of people gladly moved back in with their parents, worked from home and saved a ball of cash.

It's one of the reasons that led to higher house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think that the return of inter-generational households are a sign of a reversion to a lower standard of living.

If a person is not hypnotised by the abstract blob of aggregate GDP, or confused by price differentials around deflated prices of goods (cheap clothes! cheap flights! "It wasn't like that in my day" etc.), and uses asset prices as the true yardstick of monetary inflation then I think we're witnessing a slow crash of the average person's standard of living.

It will be more clear by the end of the decade and further out imo.

Wealth is being consolidated upwards by large corporations interlinked with governments, which is potentially bad news for anybody who cares about their freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxsake

im not surprised. there is no affordable housing really in dublin unless youre a couple.

in my own area I see the young adults at home till near 40. family houses with 4 and 5 cars outside now is the norm

Its sad to see. Kinda worry about my own kids too.

And the apts being thrown up in dublin are dirt - Id rather the kids stayed living with me than buy them

Post edited by foxsake on

Yeah it's kinda concerning. We've all got to lead our own lives and that applies to our children. But it's not unreasonable for most people to hope that there maybe grandchildren at some stage. And for various reasons inc this issue at hand here, this is getting less likely for a substantial section of middle Ireland.

If you're in the upper professional classes, it's very likely your children will have their own houses and families themselves. If you're mainly living off social welfare, then it's also logical to have children and grandchildren. But I suspect there is a segment in the middle which will be seen in due course to be constricted in this regard. And quite likely a degree of resentment that their state has failed them.

Our eldest for example would of an age soon that we were when they were born. We had lived together for several years by then, renting houses and working. Gotten married as wanted to start a family. Looking for a house to buy. No sign of them in any similar relationship, living at home and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Different times and different standards Furze - back then you could rent a crappy bedsit for feckall, or stay on a friends couch and give them a few quid, it wasn’t uncommon for young people to go door-to-door looking for ‘digs’, whereas now some young people, and to be clear they are in a minority - expect that they should be able to afford their own property as a single person, on a single low income. You could even get a banger for less than £50 ‘to get you on the road’, whereas now a cursory stroll through any city car park you’ll be lucky to find a car over 10 years old.

There are other young people again, professionals as you put it, who aren’t interested in getting into relationships when they’re young and are more focused on their careers than starting a family. Dating apps are choc-a-bloc with 20-somethings window shopping who are frustrated because they chose to prioritise their education and careers over family and are coming late to the dating game.

It’s really not just a question of there being few or unaffordable properties available on the market or eye-watering rents is the reason young people aren’t moving out of the family home, it’s due to a combination of factors, not just in Irish society, but it’s been observed in other countries too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agree. I often see 25 year olds on Ireland Reddit complaining they can't afford to live alone or buy their own place in Dublin. I mean that never even entered my head to live alone or buy a place until I was well into my 30s and I was either at home or flatsharing, one place in Marino didn't even have central heating.

These kids nowadays with their avocado toast just can't hack the realities of life 😂

Advertisement