Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

OK. I have not looked at the documentation in quite a while.

It was just in my head that Earlsfort Terrace was more direct to Charlemont Luas station.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It does for more than half of Earlsfort Terrace, and then turns slightly to head straight down Harcourt Terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've hated myself enough to look at the comments underneath some of the articles reporting on the hearing, and most of them are simply the dregs, as you'd expect. Apparently every single individual objection is justified and reason enough to cancel the whole thing, and yes, it is reasonable to cancel the entirety of Metrolink to avoid inconveniencing a single specific person. Usually they give away their real motivation with a "Dublin getting everything as usual while everyone else starves, cancel Metro North and build rural rail instead blah blah."

But not even these hardcore idiots had sympathy for the couple claiming they learned the day they bought the apartment that it was to be CPOd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I hope to God all this stuff about the pub is very quickly forgotten and never spoken of again. While there are some nice interior elements to the pub, I couldn't imagine anything worse than shoehorning them into an ultra modern building. They look good in their setting (a cozy, dimly-lit pub), putting it in a large room with floor to ceiling glazing would be a disservice to both the old pub and the new station.

We know the owners of it aren't all that bothered (wanted to knock it themselves) so hopefully all this nonsense (in which I'd include naming the station Brian Boru) will be quickly dropped. If the owners want to preserve something, they can do that themselves before ownership changes hands, it's not for TII to do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Years ago I started taking note of the pubs CPOed for other stuff - not due to this

Road widening is winning at well in to double figures across Dublin. Social housing development second, including up to the 1990s.

Oddest standalone is the Convention Centre needed to CPO and de-list a protected structure pub.

One going for Metrolink is not in any way significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

The Brian Boru is an aggressively OK pub. I live about 5 minutes away and I've been there the odd time for food or a pint when it's convenient or we have older guests staying or something but there's much better places to check out in the immediate vicinity. I won't personally see it as any great loss, just another boozer, though I would be in favour of calling the stop Brian Boru station for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We have a bunch of stations named after 1916 leaders. Why not name one after Brian Boru?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As long as it is not called Glasnevin - as is not in Glasnevin. I would favour Cross Guns myself - it sounds more geographic while Brian Boru is just a pup name.

More important is to build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well for a start, there is no logic in naming the station after Brian Boru because we have stations named after 1916 leaders. At the time that stations renamed after 1916 leaders, they were not long dead and it was widely agreed that their sacrifice should be recognised. The new state was also trying to assert it's independence and break from British influence by renaming important infrastructure after people who consider to the establishment of the state. Brian Boru is dead over 1,000 years and we don't have stations named after other similar historical figures (not least because nobody would be able to pronounce them) so it is completely different.

Using that name would actually be naming the station after the pub which was named after him. There is no other logic or link for choosing that name. Presumably the other Metrolink stations will be identified based on geographical location so varying from that for this station alone again reinforces that the name would be due to the pub.

It should be called Glasnevin Junction. This references the geographical location and also identifies it as a major interchange. Plus that is, y'know, what that location is already known as...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I personally despise the naming of transport infrastructure after nationalist mythology, most recently Bloody Sunday Bridge outside Croke Park. Good God…

The railway stations were unilaterally renamed by Irish Rail in 1966 for the fiftieth anniversary of the Rising, which I lament. They at least chose names with certain connections to the stations. Pearse born around the corner from Westland Row, Connolly’s association with Liberty Hall, Plunkett from Waterford, etc. What possible reason would there be to name a Metrolink station after Brian bloody Boru?

(Actually, it seems Plunkett had sod all to do with Waterford).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Naming stations after a pub that once existed at the location is quite common on the London Underground. Angel, Elephant & Castle, Manor House, Nine Elms, Royal Oak and Swiss Cottage are all named after pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭GusherING

Brian Boru is linked with the Battle of Clontarf. Nothing to do with Glasnevin. Reminds me how everyone thinks the Boland Mills site now being redeveloped by Google in the Docklands was a site of fighting during 1916, when in fact the fighting at Boland Mills took place at what is the Treasury Buildings on Grand Canal Street (now under redevelopment also).

Why would we name a station in such an a historically inaccurate matter that will just confuse tourists and locals alike? All to save the blushes of some publicans who are going to be handsomely compensated for losing this piece of land. This is an August silly season Kind of story inexplicably continuing to live on past its sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You are wrong in that regard Sam. The proposed station is most definitely in Glasnevin.

Glasnevin starts at the Canal and encompasses all of the land west of Botanic Road up to Dublin Industrial Estate.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glasnevin,+Dublin/@53.3799933,-6.2927996,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x48670de195c06e99:0x2600c7a819b93032!8m2!3d53.3788903!4d-6.2668995!16zL20vMDNjZzg?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I’m not familiar with all of those, but in at least a few of them the immediate area first came to be associated with the name of the pub, so it was natural the Tube station would take the name. That can hardly be said to be true of the area around the Brian Boru Pub. Those pubs in London also continued to exist as landmarks. This proposal is to commemorate a pub no longer existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I know this has been quoted already but it should be said again this site is in Glasnevin. There was a Glasnevin Station across the road behind what is now the Bernard Shaw pub.

Cross Guns is a great sounding name and is popular among posters here but it would be less well known as a location than Glasnevin. I'll take either so long as it gets built, former rant to be ignored :)

Locals know the pub as Hedigans so naming the station Brian Boru would be the worst option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I don't really care what it's named if it's ever built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

We've got Horse and Jockey (Tipperary) and, of course, Red Cow. Both are places that are named after landmark inns. The Red Cow Luas stop is called that because that's the name everyone uses for this small area of Dublin.

Elephant and Castle, Angel and the other London stations are the same thing. The stations are named after the neighbourhood, it's just that the neighbourhood itself is named after a local inn.

"Glasnevin" is the proper name for this station, because that's where it is. None of the other stations have commemorative names, and commemorative names are a pain in the hole for visitors who just want to get to O' Connell Street or the Mater Hospital... or Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I think stations should have major landmarks/institutions included in the name where neccessary (i.e. Collins Avenue - DCU). The Broadstone Luas stop for example was renamed to "Broadstone - DIT", to signify it's proximity to the Grangegorman Campus (I assume it will be updated to TUD to refelect the name change of the college). In terms of completely changing the name from the general location to the name of a pub, as @KrisW1001 mentioned, that will just cause unneccesary confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Well there, on a plate, is a truly excellent reason not to name it after a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭loco_scolo

As already mentioned by others, it should just be called Glasnevin Junction and be done with it. They can put a plaque somewhere to commemorate the Brian Boru pub and leave it to the public to decide a colloquial name, whether Cross Guns or Brian Boru, or neither.

Glasnevin Junction is far more descriptive of it's actual location, given that Glasnevin is 4.5sqkm in size and the far side of the area is a 40-50 minute walk from the station.

In fact, 3 of the Metro Stations are in the Glasnevin area. It actually makes no sense to call one of them Glasnevin without some other descriptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I didn't realise the Collins Avenue station was also in Glasnevin, but I think the reason behind the name is that it interchanges with a new DART/IÉ station to be named "Glasnevin".

The Metrolink stops inside M50 are mostly named for the streets they are located on (Mater and Glasnevin are the exceptions). IÉ Commuter stations, on the other hand are mostly named for the areas they serve, not their street address. DART mixes and matches (you have Tara, Pearse, Sydney Parade, Lansdowne Rd, in the centre, but also Malahide, Donabate, Booterstown, Howth, Dún Laoighaire, Bray outside... this naming pattern is quite common in other "S-Bahn" networks )

If that IÉ/DART interchange wasn't there, I could imagine the station being a little further south and called "Phibsboro [Road]"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's also fair to say that station names are currently indicative and can be changed right until the Metro opens without much hassle. They aren't locked in permanently if a railway order is granted and there will be loads of time for any potential changes while construction is underway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Newcomer to the thread here.

I'm close to buying a house that will have the MetroLink tunnel bored directly beneath it. It will also be less than .5km from one of the stations.

I'm happy to deal with whatever noise disruption there will be during construction, but is it likely there will be ongoing noise pollution once the metro is operational?

Could you foresee any issues in being so close to a station (it wouldn't be visible from the house as far as I can tell from drawings/plans).

Thoughts welcome before I make a large outgoing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can’t imagine any noise pollution once it’s operational.

It should glide as softly as a cloud.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You'll have two weeks of construction noise/vibration while the TBM goes under your house. How much that affects you will be up to you really, some will notice it and others won't, even if you try and point it out it to them.

Afterwards, there will be no operation noise that you would be able to hear. You might get vibrations, but I'd be shocked if it's at a level that you'd detect. This won't be like the movies that you see in New York with the whole building shaking as a train goes under, it's a totally different depth.

There will probably be more footfall in the area after it opens, every station is going to be popular/busy.

Others have asked me if they should buy cost to the line, and for me, it's an unequivocal yes. The price increase that areas will get from metrolink has not yet been priced in, so any house that's close to a station will see a significant uptick.

EDIT: way too many autocorrect errors, sorry.

Post edited by CatInABox on

I live very close to the Dart and can hear the Dart pass - if I am paying attention. It just fades into the background.

On the other hand a passing car is much more disturbing - I do not know why.

So in answer to the OP, it will not affect you at all - other than all the passengers walking down your road, to and from the Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Only thing I’d think might be a an issue being so close to a stop is on street parking, very dependant on what’s there but could see an increase in that.

Well, on street parking will be an issue all over Dublin inside the canals.

Solution - paid parking. Before paid parking, our street was impossible, but since it is great, but it costs a few euros a year but worth it. Of course, as paid parking is introduced in one area, the problem moves on to the next, so it is inevitable that it will become the norm along the Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

you can read the Airborne Noise report in Chapter 13 Airborne Noise and Vibration

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/documentsro/Chapter%2013%20Airborne%20Noise%20and%20Vibration.pdf

the Ground borne noise report read in Chapter 14 Ground-borne Noise and Vibration

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/documentsro/Chapter%2014%20Ground-borne%20Noise%20and%20Vibration.pdf

The Appendices will have detailed reports for each of the houses affected

Airborne

A13.7 Construction Phase modelling

A13.8 Operational Phase Modelling

Ground borne (construction and operational)

A14.5 Groundborne Noise and Vibration and Blasting Modelling Results

At 500m I don't think any station construction noise would affect you. the TBM would take about 2 weeks to pass for the tunnel and depending on how close would affect you. you might be close to a evacuation tunnel (depending on where you are) which is not being built by TBM and takes longer and might affect you more.

for Operational you should check what the model shows your house ground borne noise level. depending of the location at 500m from a station the metro would be moving faster and so would create more ground noise (closer to a station it's slower and so less ground noise)

most houses are below 30 LASmax dB(A) but some are above 40 which could be an issue for some people

A14.1 Relevant guidance and standards

https://downloads.metrolink.ie/documentsro/A14.1%20Relevant%20guidance%20and%20standards.pdf

Page 10

just a note that Airborne noise and Ground borne noise levels are not the same, so what is ok for airborne would not be for ground borne noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well yeah not sure the op said they were inside the canals but it’s certainly something I’d think about if I was buying near a stop. If it’s free parking it might be a pain to get a space near the house, if it’s paid and you can get a yearly pass it’s likely to be a lot easier. Still definitely something to consider in the long run.

Advertisement