Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

We used to go up to LV at least once a month ( from Newbridge ), but stopped when the parking charges came in. I had reason to be in the SC recently at the M&S end. Even the coffee shop in the middle of the floor outside the M&S entrance is gone.

Really sad demise to a once good SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I am not a car advocate by any means, but it does look like the parking fees have back fired on the centre.

There is a lot of retail choice in the Dublin area and if a centre becomes uncompetitive, it is easy for customers to drive elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Getting rid of that coffee shop was a good thing. No need for it there

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭taratee

Had to go to LV on Saturday morning. Arrived at 11.30. Went to the M&S car park and it was very quiet. Plenty of free space in the other car parks also. The centre was very quiet and I was sad to see that the Body Shop has closed down. All of the shops (Zara, River Island, Next) in that part of the centre were very quiet. The centre must be like a ghost town during the week. Management made a big mistake when the introduced those parking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Numbers do drop after Christmas also but the car park has hit it the shopping centre also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JVince

Body shop has seen a huge drop in business generally and it has / is closing dozens of stores as leases expire . New owners bought from the previous owners for 80% less than the purchase price in 2017 - which gives you an idea of how bad sales were in the company. New owners also own LLoyd Pharmacy and plan new ranges and a shop in shop version in many Lloyd pharmacies. (Here in Ireland they will be in McCabe pharmacies which is part of Lloyds.

And 11.30 on a Saturday morning at the end of January is quiet everywhere - its possibly the quietest Saturday of the year. Kildare Village was quiet last Saturday too.

Within the retail sector, Liffey Valley is seen as a strong performer and the parking is regarded by retailers as a success despite some misgivings initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I live local to Liffey Valley. Gone are the days now when I might swing by for a casual look around, maybe pick up something unexpected or some lunch. I now only go there if I absoltely have to. Even once I was in and out in <15 minutes to avoid any parking charge!

In my opinion though, the worst thing about the car park is not the charges (and I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread) - but it is the new layout! It is bloody awful.

The pathways from car space to centre are mostly non-existent - very high risk of getting creamed, especially kids who may run ahead. The roads around the spaces are very now long winded, so there's a higher risk of getting stuck behind someone waiting for someone else to a exit space - which creates a tailback.

Don't get me started on that CRAP web site. My goodness. Who designed that? It certainly wasn't designed for actual end users.

The older car parking layout and setup was a million times better. Parking at an angle was so handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have no issue with the parking charges, but mother of christ, I wish they'd sort out the access. Absolute pandemonium trying to get in today. They weren't allowing anyone to enter the car parks at the cinema or Starbucks, instead all the traffic was getting funnelled into a single lane at both those roundabouts and forced down to the entrances at Next and Marks & Sparks. It was an absolute shít show. And to add insult to injury, Boots didn't even have either of the two items I went in for in the first place 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I was there last week just dropping someone off.

Got stuck waiting to get back out behind some eejit who was causing problems at the barrier and the queue was all the way back. Pissing rain so no staff member at the barrier to assist. So annoying.

Ended up having to pay for parking when I had never actually parked.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Yeah...I think a lot of customers would tolerate the paid parking if it meant easy access and egress but it's simply not happening here. What is so problematic about this carpark thats not an issue at other paid parking facilities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Golden Discs closed down during the week which is a shame. Hopefully it will be back at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I've spent hundreds if not thousands in LV since it opened. I have been once since the charges have gone in. It is too much hassle , even though its not. Anyway the life is slowly draining out of the centre anyway. There seems to be less middle aged shoppers like there used to be and just loads of roaming teenagers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone else.having trouble using their Revolut card to pay at the barriers in LV? They never accept mine and there's also occasional problems using my BOI card. It's an awful system and painfully slow even when everything actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why aren't people setting up automatic payments? Drive in, drive out. No queuing at the machine, no waiting on exiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Its not worth the bother for how frequently I go there. I would say maybe 3/4 times in the last year? If even that. I'm usually dropping my daughter off, and then I go for a wander around The Range and she walks over to meet me when she's done.

Edit: Will be even less now if Golden Discs has closed, as that was one of the main reasons she went.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No financial advantage. Very minimal time saved. Web site is a pile of junk. Will be charged if you go to cinema because it scans your reg before you get to use the voucher.

Much easier to just pay as you go upon exit. I don’t even know why people bother to pay at the machines in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think that location was only intended to be temporary.

Was there a couple of months ago, there was a planning notice on the wall to turn the unit into 2(!) cafes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

Dunno why you can't just pay with cash in a machine as you leave the center, like Jervis or the square. An easy user friendly system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

For all the doom and gloom reported here, surely the expanded bus services with higher frequencies and new routes launched under BusConnects serving Liffey Valley mean more people are using public transport to/from the centre?

More people from more areas now have direct public transport access to/from Liffey Valley.

You now have:

C Spine routes and the 52 to/from the city centre and along the N4 corridor west to Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth

G Spine route G2 to Neilstown and the Ballyfermot corridor to/from the city centre;

26 to Palmerstown, Chapelizod and the city centre;

Local routes L51 and L53 to Lucan and Adamstown;

Orbital route S4 to Ballyfermot, Crumlin, Terenure, Rathgar, Millown and UCD

Orbital route W2 to Clondalkin and Tallaght;

Orbital route W4 to Blanchardstown or south Lucan, Cheeverstown and Tallaght

Or are people that wedded to driving that they don't want to consider public transport?

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I don't think it's being wedded to driving as such.

I'm not a big driver, but I have my car to make my life easier.

Firstly I've worked in the city centre for most of my adult life so carrying bags on the bus wouldn't be a big issue for me,pain in the hole yes, big issue no.

However throw in a couple of kids absolutely no way would I be bringing them shopping getting a bus, no guarantee getting on, if another pram or wheelchair on it, or having the hassle to fold down the buggy while everyone pushes past you. Then standing with young kids and bags, absolutely not! I don't think I'm alone with that.

Plus it's the time, you'd often be there and ready to be coming home in the time it takes waiting for a bus, the bus journey etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'd really only go to LV off peak for non essential shopping at which point driving is a lot faster, then getting two buses and associated wait times. If it was a work commute at peak perhaps I'd consider a bus than driving in congestion.

Rarely go to LV very little there now that isn't in Blanch, other than B&Q. Anytime I pass it, it seems to be a queue to enter and exit. If I'm passing I just don't bother as I don't want to get caught in the queues.

Like Blanch the approach roads are very congested these days. So don't really go to a SC unless I really have to. No longer just go window shopping or pop in for cafe like I might have in the past. Used to be able to pop into borders or easons for a browse of books or magazines, grab a drink. That's all gone.

Been in LV twice since they brought in paid parking. I think it was only to stop for food, and there didn't seem to be a queue.

I do accept that it isn't going to suit everyone obviously, but there has been a big increase in the bus service serving the centre, and I still think that there is a bit of a blindspot among many people that they don't even want to consider using the bus and as such many people just haven't been bothered looking at the new services.

The S4 for example (a combination of the old 76, 18 and 17) is every 10 minutes which is a huge increase in service.

Reading this thread, you would think that accessing Liffey Valley by any transport mode apart from the private car was impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How reliable are these buses though? Ask anyone getting the C Spine buses at commuting times and they'll tell you they're all shité and regularly don't show up. I think the L services are a joke when there's a need for actual rush hour C Spine buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can understand getting a bus from your locality to bring you straight into town for to go shopping (although personally that would be hell on earth for me lugging shopping bags on and off a bus) - but getting 2 busses to a place which has limited retail outlets ? You’d want to have a lot of time on your hands and very low expectations of what you might buy when you get there

The financial premise on which most of these shopping centres were designed funded and built was that people would mainly arrive by car (probably with the exception of Dundrum which has many public transport options including the Luas and is bang in the middle of some of the most affluent and populous areas of Ireland.

Families especially go to such places regularly because there’s always something to buy - sports gear, shoes, outfits etc for the kids for example. It’s also a handy place to spend a few hours on a bad winters day to get the kids out of the house.

If it becomes more difficult or costly then a family won’t go- or they will go to an alternative SC -its families that spend significant amounts of money in the restaurants cafes etc as well as the clothes fashion and household outlets

Pizz then off at your peril - make it hard work for mammies and daddies and you’ll see your profits fall overnight

I made the point that there is a large increase in the number of areas served by direct bus services to/from the centre and in frequency.

People seem to read what they want to read.

I'm not suggesting that large numbers of people are going to take 2 buses each way, but there are now far more people who do have a direct bus and to read this thread, you'd think they don't exist!

People also tend to exaggerate the problem - I am not saying that it is perfect but I think that wild generalisations such as you posted are a bit much.

The C Spine peak frequency has increased in the last six months with more C3 and C4 services.

The L53 in particular is there to take pressure off the C1/C2 and facilitate local traffic.

A bus network needs a combination of spine, radial, orbital and local services. The more of the latter two categories of routes means less pressure on citybound services, and more travel options for people.

People can only talk about their own experience.. their own reality. Be interesting to see the stats on the bus traffic.. That would remove personal bias and subjectivity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

In my opinion though, the worst thing about the car park is not the charges (and I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread) - but it is the new layout! It is bloody awful.

That's it for me as well. I used to be in Liffey Valley several times a week, most weeks. Can live with parking charges, so be it, but the carpark layout is so awful. I just realised when I read upthread that the coffee shop at M&S end outside the shop, is closed, that I haven't actually been to the centre in months.

I find all parking too tight and awkward these days. Poorly designed and too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not everyone wants to be dealing with buses - especially with the sort of little hassles as outlined above by others.

Centres like this aren't just used by locals (and why would someone living near Blanch or Dundrum or town trek all the way out to LV on public transport when they have those locations nearby), but they ARE used by people coming in from further afield where public transport ISN'T readily available or is even more expensive. It would be interesting how many come to LV/Blanch from Kildare/Meath or beyond.

Plus if you have a car and need it for other trips then it's an added expense and hassle that you don't need, and far less attractive than just getting in the car you're already paying for. This is what planners and the likes of the Greens don't understand.

On LV itself, I haven't been there in years (again outside even it's more remote catchment areas) but was never a fan of it vs Blanch which is a lot easier to get around. I was never a fan of the angled spaces though as I always prefer to reverse into spots which is far safer when leaving again (just drive out with better visibility) especially in busy car parks. Sounds like the new arrangements are even worse.

Advertisement