Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assisted dying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,859 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I already linked the article verifying the claim was testified to in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭downtheroad

That's an excellent summary, appreciate that. What's the process for selecting CA members, is it random like jury duty or do they ensure a range of genders, ages, ethnicity etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That's a one line snipe that adds nothing to the discussion. Concerns about how this will be implemented, what ifs, scenarios, ethics and the state of health and social care are very relevant and exactly what we should be discussing.

If there's any whataboutery in this it's coming from posters comparing humans to animals "what about dogs, we put them to sleep, why not people". I'd suggest the below forum for this

https://www.boards.ie/categories/pets-pet-care

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I would like to thank the Newbie forum for instructions on the "Ignore" option.

The dismissive nature of that previous comment about a link to the pet threads was absolutely uncalled for.

We have said all along a sensible debate needs to be had on such an important subject and real life experiences that form people's views on assisted dying feature heavily. To have them mocked is not right.

You can disagree on a subject, of course but it is abhorrent to mock the experiences of others and call them stupid saying they don't understand the legislation campaigned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redliketoast

Something this important should not be done without a referendum

I know they dont need to have one. But for the greater good, it is too important.

• Advertisement

I said all along it should have been the next up instead of that travesty last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Listening to a report on this yesterday and debate. Very struck when it was reported that the College of Psychiatrists of Ireland were conflating assisted dying with suicide. Surely these are two very different things as understood by society. Yes same result, but essentially different.

And regardless of which, these are matters which for most people are impossible to legislate against.

Not 100 miles away form what Canada are about to do

I know its annoying when people mention Canada. But it is a sign of how bad it can go

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are they that different? Arguably in both cases a person doesn't want to live anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

My understanding is that the people are chosen randomly but that they do so in such a way that they get a representative sample of the electorate with regards age, sex, uraban/rural etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How exactly is suicide by doctor different from suicide by jumping in front of a train?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You can talk about all the other things the HSE needs to work on but you will also need to realise that the HSE can do more than one thing at a time. Saying the HSE can't do X until it does YZ is a terrible attitude to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

My God. First of all, you won’t traumatise a Doctor but you will traumatise a train driver, probably passengers too. And any witnesses. Secondly, your body won’t be mutilated. I can’t really treat your question seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well suicide by train, you're involving a huge amount of innocent people. Train driver, witnesses, paramedics etc.

Suicide by doctor is dignified, and should be done humanely and peacefully.

Both same result but completely different aftermaths.

Additionally suicide is usually as a result of mental health, which is still very hard to get help for and understanding etc.

By doctor it's usually a physical pain/disability that's much easier to understand and diagnose. Plus usually the condition will only get worse.

But you know all this, so not sure why it needs further explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There really shouldn’t be a need to explain that to you.

It's very different - but for the illness killing them, generally people want to live.

They need this Law because going to Dignitas means you have to get their under your own steam and that might be months before you have to - as anyone accompanying you can face charges. I would suggest watching A Short Stay In Switzerland, with Julie Walters. Insightful and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@BrianD3

He was eventually convicted but we're not allowed to discuss that case on boards because of the nationality of the perpetrator.

Suuure. 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Do you not understand what advanced state of decline means?

You clearly aren't aware of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The claim that someone unauthorized and unable to actually offer MAID. To someone who doesn't meet the criteria to be granted it. Yes I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,859 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Think it through for a while longer than that took to type. Good gracious.

• Advertisement

If that genuinely needs explaining I really fear for any referendum we may have.

On the assumption you are for real:

MEDICALLY ASSISTED DYING

You go to a quiet suburb of Zurich (or wherever it is being provided)

You get to spend time with anyone who went with you

You are asked over a dozen times by a Swiss official whether you actually want to die today, leaving your family no doubt that you are doing what is best fo you.

When you are ready, you take a drink to stop vomiting making taking the meds easier. Again, asked several times if dying today is what you want/

Again, when and only when you are ready, you take the dose which will end your life peacefully.

TRAIN OPTION

Seriously, is it really needed to explain ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭nachouser

Don't want an assisted death? Don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I have a close relative that took their own life and who were otherwise healthy.

I think I can judge the difference between that situation and that perhaps of my needs or another in our latter years of life with some miserable terminal illness & waiting for the end to come.

Can you not??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have sadly witnessed first hand in the immediate family how a terminal illness can play out. In old age but still.

The last weeks were terrible. At some point no food intake was possible anymore and they were kept alive with intravenous fluids. There was no hope of any turnaround just a very very slow and painful shutdown of one organ after another that dragged on for another 2, almost 3 weeks. The person had nothing to stay for only some painkillers/drug haze, the last week wasnt even responsive anymore. All I could do was talk to them thinking they may be able to hear me, tell them how much I loved them, tell them about my day. How that felt, there really aren't any words to describe it. I cant imagine what it must have felt for them.

Whatever about being incapacitated and being cared for etc. Nobody should have to go through something like this for the sake of it. It must have been hell. When they could still communicate they said they just wanted to go now.

It sounds terrible possibly callous, I dont know, but you wouldnt do it to a dog.

My thoughts are with you, it’s a horrible inhuman thing to have to endure.

I dont want a loved one having an assited death just because they dont want to burden me either financially or through effort.

Your over simplistic view of this is just as immature as the ridiculous train suicide story.

Whereas I want people like my father who did want one to have the choice - at 11 he saw his father fight a lengthy losing battle with cancer and decided then he would not want the same.

I get my wish and you can discuss this with your loved ones and reassure them.

You get yours and people are forced to endure a miserable painful end which they do not want.

Every sympathy for you. Been there myself and its not a great situation.

But i gotta pull up that comment on "wouldnt do it to a dog". People are talking about a life and death thing like its a no brainer. We shoupd not be so quick to introduce a something so final as if we were figuring out what to order on just eat.

The arguments against assisted suicide are valid and need to be taken seriously. What has happened in Canada is possibly a worst case scenario, but IS a reality. They want people with mental health issues to be able to avail. Is that what we want?

This needs to be put to the people because we are a democracy. Its too important to leave in the hands of bumbling nitwits who have no business running this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I've already asked you what you understand it to mean. You seem strangely reluctant to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm not familiar with what happened in Canada nor did I post here because I wanted to engage as such. I fully understand this is a difficult subject but atm this is more a personal issue rather than a political issue for me. It's been not that long ago.

I came here to make the point that there are scenarios where it borders on cruelty to tease out another week or two or three for the sake of preserving life at all cost or whatever the rationale is here. Like in my relative's case there was no comeback, nothing to live for only pain and she wanted to go. Why make her stay for another 2, 3 weeks of utter misery?

Advertisement