Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Hayes receives 2 year suspended sentence and €10,000 fine.

Options
  • 20-03-2024 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭

Limerick hurler Kyle Hayes was involved in a violent disorder incident in 2019. The victim got punched and kicked whilst on the ground and ended up with a fractured eye socket.

Daddy Popcorn is from Limerick and they all feel very hard done by how their star was treated and see him as a naughty little lad and it's all grand.

Personally, I think it's terrible witht he amount of witnesses, what he did that he couldn't just say Yes, I did and give an apology to the victim instead of putting them through a trial.

hat do Boards.ie think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Predictable outcome. Cue the drive for five hype and quick forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I think concurrent sentences are a joke and should be abolished.

I think that suspending a 3.5-year sentence is also a joke. If you're guilty enough to get a multi-year stint in jail you should at least serve a portion of the time.

"He said Hayes had already "paid a heavy price" because of the media attention around the case and that he believed he had "taken responsibility for his actions"."

Oh the poor baba...

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

It's who you know .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My aunts are like JP will help the poor lad out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

He didn't take responsibility for his actions. He plead not guilty for fecks sake!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A lucky man.

I can't understand Kiely saying he had taken responsibility for his actions when he had pleaded not guilty. Maybe someone can explain how that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder who advised Hayes to plead not guilty and reject any responsibility?

He's a young guy and I honestly think he might have been better off just pleading guilty, taking responsibility and expressing remorse. He probably would have only gotten a (shorter) suspended sentence anyways. He wouldn't have had to go through a very public court case either, and neither would the victim who often gets forgotten in all this.

He's in the public eye, so best for him would be if the public saw it as a case of "young kid, drank too much, made a mistake, took responsibility, let him move on with his life" type vibe.

But this leaves a bad taste in the mouth. John Kiely has also done damage to his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

A total scumbag, and will continue to be a total scumbag thanks to the leniency of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

On the other hand...

Seems about right to me. No previous and seemingly an otherwise fine citizen.

I think he's had his punishment with his reputation damaged and all the attention. It's one of those things where I think it's best to look at it as 'thankfully nobody got seriously hurt'.

From what I recall of the trial he was one of a gang partaking in the attack, while he might have been the instigator of the row beforehand, there was nothing to say he was the one kicking the lad on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭downtheroad

You wouldn't say the same if you got punched and kicked whilst on the ground and ended up with a fractured eye socket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Shur he’s a half dundon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,120 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So what part of Limerick are you from, county or city?

Care to elaborate?

I know he's into the trotting/going to horse fairs/etc and have heard stuff but nobody could back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Fine citizens don’t do what he did. He seemed to think he could behave however he wanted because he has some fame. He’s a very lucky boy, I think a stretch in Mountjoy would have been character building, I certainly won’t be surprised if I read about him being in trouble again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Essentially no punishment at all then because JP will pick up the tab.

I think you mightn't say the same if you'd seen somebody close going through a public trial.

The lads with long conviction sheets don't give a f**k, but for other people that kind of trial and publicity is very hard.

If the judge doesn't believe he'll commit another crime, and he's been punished by the process, what's the point.

Young men do very stupid things on nights out. If it's a one-off terrible judgement should that ruin the rest of his life?

People generally come out from prison in a worse way and more likely to re-offend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If whomever is close to did something which warranted a public trial, I have as much sympathy for him/her as I do this thug, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

The point is Hayes showed no remorse and didn't plead guilty to his crime. Despite several witnesses testifying that he did it. He had his chance to make amends by pleading guilty, showing remorse and apologizing to his victim. He did none of those things and deserves all the vitriol that he is now facing. A very lucky boy not to be spending some time behind bars.

• Advertisement

I'd much prefer to see scumbags like this serve prison time, and learn a lesson.

The next scumbag who does similar will just point to this case and avoid jail. Are we now accepting this level of thuggery in our society?

I don't know all the details of the case but it may be that he plead not guilty because he felt the charge didn't reflect his role on the night.

For all we know he might have just pushed the lad over and given him a kick in the arse. It was maybe someone else in the gang did the damage.

I suspect part of the reason he got the suspected sentence was this.

I'm not saying he didn't behave deplorably on the night, but I think a jail sentence would have been excessive.

My nights out drinking are long since past. But I don't think these kind of fights are that uncommon outside nightclubs, chippers etc.

I'd say for the most part no charges are brought, and if they are people don't get custodial sentences where they're otherwise of good character.

Especially where it's not clear they were the one doing the damage.

Kyle Hayes.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

And when they seriously injure somebody and that person presses charges, appropriate jail time should be served.

Perhaps the reason such fights are not uncommon outside chippers and nightclubs is because there is no fear of repercussion.

Or do we wait for somebody to be killed before starting to take this seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭thomas 123

At least we know now we can attack people without a chance of jail. Or is it only if we are famous and our reputation is hurt that we escape jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I always thought getting a fractured eyesocket was pretty serious, but thats just me.

Advertisement