Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

Edit: just to add, if an insurance company refuses to quote for a specific car, it usually means they represent an undue risk to the overall book value of the business in that country, versus their contribution.

so in the case of the Y, there might be 3-4,000 of them in the country, where insurers are covering all 2.5m vehicles in the national fleet (so the Y is perhaps 0.1% of the book, and is easy to just cut if it represents 0.5% of claims e.g).

refusing to quote won’t cost them anything really, rather than it being some anti EV/Tesla bias or whatever you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Lack of properly functioning parking sensors on 2023 cars won’t have helped. Even simple low speed parking related tips can end up being put through insurance due to current repair costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

First experience of driving RWD in the snow this morning - quite stressful! 😅 Noticed too that the rear window defroster is not great. During a 90-minute school run (usually takes 15 minutes) I had it on the whole time and it hadn't cleared the ice by the time I got home. Wipers also went a little crazy, but that's nothing new.

Sounds like it mighnt be working and it was the ambient temperature of the car that was clearing the rear window.

It should be done in 3-4mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yeah had no issues with rear windscreen and thought the wipers worked well, much better than in drizzle anyway 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Sounds like I might need to schedule a service for the rear window demister...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Try this first.. might be just a setting that's bad

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/rear-defrost-model-y.288732/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭innrain

Mine didn't increase this year. In fact it got few pennies cheaper.

So your insurer either doesn’t insure many Y’s, or haven’t had expensive claims.

each insurer is unlikely to have more than 100-150 of them in their book

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

Artur is the man. What was interesting is that eventhough the rear looked really mangeled the chassis rails had not moved at all. Most likely something like a pickup truck or other big vehicle had rear-ended the car. The car looked very low mileage one but oldish as it didn't have the front giga casting.

Top job reparing it using so few parts. Basically just the bumper and the rear hatch were replaced, everything else was repaired. The glass roof had damage at the left rear corner and that was not repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭mun1

For those with a squeaky rear end (:) ), Gummi pflege worked a treat on the boot seals and hey presto, squeezing gone !

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Think I have a slow puncture on one tyre , what's the correct tyre pressure in the basic spec 19 tyres on the Y ?

Is it 41 , that's what the remaining three tyres are showing

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭TMY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It tells you on the app.

Press controls and tap psi in top right corner (it's probably 42)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

Out of interest, it is normal to have water pooling in this area? Only noticed it there the other day.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭TMY

Fairly normal, wouldn't be too concerned. Doesn't do any damage and the nut hasn't corroded or anything like that on mine in the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭JOL1

Possible price increase on Model Y

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-price-europe/

Is there a ballpark average for when tyres are due a change?

Live in a rural area where roads are mediocre some of the time

Collected the car one year ago today and almost 25 k on it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you checked the depth ? There's minimum limits. Use a ruler or a depth guide.

Motorway miles are more likely to wear faster

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All based on personal driving characteristics. I got 4 years and 40,034km from a set on a 3 and they still had loads left only for the inner wear. Tracking and alignment required then!

Thanks , another question please, Is there a service of any kind recommended after a full year ?

Nope. But you should be keeping an eye on brakes, suspension, all the normal motoring consumables as with any car.

There’s no need for a mandatory dealer service but that doesn’t mean you ignore the mechanical end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭mun1

A year today in MYLR , 22k on it and absolutely love the car. Overall efficiency is 184wh per km and i do a lot of motorway driving. Great efficiency.

looking at a Porsche Taycan but the amount of extras i would have to give up make it a no from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello All.. went up to Sandyford for a quick visit earlier as we're interested in a Model Y to replace the "workhorse" of our current Ford S-Max. Wife really liked it and she'd no idea I was even thinking of it (even though didn't tell her we were going up.. just had the opportunity as I went on one of the school drops with her)

Anyway.. very impressed by it. Very roomy and expansive. She liked the high up driving position and didn't even cast a 2nd glance at the Model 3. The dog box in the boot will be an issue but we will sort the mutts somehow.

So.. for everyone experienced here, what's the catch.. seems fantastic value at the moment as to spec up a similar ID4, Kia or Hyundai etc to get some a roomy EV would be far more expensive. I know Tesla seem to be mastering economies of scale but I am wondering from the perspective of whether price of Model Y will remain so low or is it likely to rise again soon? I pressed the guys in there on it and the "rumours" of impending price rises but he couldn't say.. which I understand.

Looking at the base RWD in silver w/towbar - but just seems all other "toys" are included - i.e. no options. Don't have a charger etc so would literally be running a cable for now but delivery is likely April so I can get going on that if I ordered. We didn't have time today for a test drive but will go back in coming days but if the above is to be believed about a price rise later this week I would be keen to lock in now.

Any tips of gotchas I am missing then would really appreciate. Thanks for any help. Rgds PD.

There’s no catch.

Once you like the styling and minimalist design you are good to go.

There are a group of people on here that will shy away because of the CEO, but rest assured, he does not come in the passenger seat when you collect the car so you won’t need to worry about him!

Sleep on it, go drive it again. Go drive an ID4 etc and make sure it’s the right move.

But place the deposit online using a referral code (see this thread - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058290089/tesla-referral-links-here-see-mod-note-post-1 ) as there’s rumours of price increases in April that guys in the show room will know nothing about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No catch, Tesla are market disrupters with their large Model Y price drops, as Gumbo said, put a deposit down now, if the price goes up then you are locked to the order price, if it goes down then Tesla will drop the order price, and if you change your mind it's a quick chat with Tesla online to get your deposit refunded

Post edited by liamog on

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

There's no catch but there are a few things that you should be aware of:

1. The delivery process with Tesla can be more stressful than for other brands. Unless your car is already in inventory, nobody will know for sure when you'll get your car from China. The only reliable milestones are getting a VIN, being asked for payment and getting a Reg. But nearly everyone agrees that the car is worth the paint of getting it and that the service afterwards is way better than the delivery process.
    2. You will not get a box of chocolates with your new car. If it's clean and more than 20% battery that's as much as you can hope for.
    3. You will collect from NDL out at City West, not Sandyford.
    4. There are no UltraSonic parking sensors with Teslas any more. All done with vision and cameras now. Whether it's as good or not is subjective.
    5. White and red are multi-coat paints and are thicker than the other colours including the silver you're thinking of.
    6. If you order with the same email address you book the test drive with and later on change your mind about going ahead with the purchase, Tesla will (at least initially) refuse to give you back your €250 deposit. If you use a different email address, you will be able to get it back. So use a burner email address for the test drive booking.
    7. It's getting more expensive and harder to get a quote for a Model Y. Many insurers are refusing to do it now as new business and for existing customers most quotes are up at least 20% on last year. So suss out that before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Does anyone know how to redeem the 150kms free charging after you take delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

It will be automatically credited to your Tesla account and you won't be charged for the first 150km from an SuC as long as you use them before they expire.

Advertisement