Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭usernameunknown

Has anyone had the latest update yet? The one to include the matrix headlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Yep, last week, plus another small update last night.

I haven't been able to test the lights yet as I'm working in the city, but over the weekend I'll be using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Great so the Model Y is getting the matrix update as well? I know the M3H got it a few weeks ago but didn't realise it was rolling out to Model Y also.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Not yet for me. Hopefully 2024.8.7 will land soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Every Model Y in the country has support for them, and also the Model 3 from 2020Q4 onwards. Beat that legacy makes! I mean what other manufacturer gives you brand new features many years after buying the car and all painlessly over the air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Talk about spin...I would argue that its taken them years to deliver something that "legacy" manufacturers have had for years straight from the factory, i.e. they had no need to deliver the functionanlity over the air at a later date.

As for OTA updates specifically for lights, again legacy manufactueres have offered this for years, e.g. Audi etrons shipped with Matrix headlights from the factory and you could purchase at a later date or subscribe through the app to enable them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Matrix was not even advertised as a possibility when I purchased back in '21. Yet I and every other Tesla owner got it in '24 without paying for subscription or additional cost.

And thats fine, yes they have the best OTA update system around and they delivered an additional feature that the hardware was capeable from the factory, that deerves some praise.

Just the point about legacy manufacturers for this specific scenario / feature is a bit pointeless as they have been shipping the same features for years straight out of the factory.

Tesla are no stranger to the same practice, ship the product with required hardware and feature disabled and option to buy/ subscribe later e.g. FSD in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DrPsychia

Anyone here applied the likes of Rain X or ceramic coating to the windscreen? Use something like yellow frog tape to isolate the camera FOV to avoid applying in that area so it wouldn't cause glare or other unwanted effects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you had to pay, rather expensive sums of money to get matrix lights on the older legacy car manufacturers. Yet these owners will get them for “free” OTA.
    For example, VW charged £1700 for the matrix upgrade that you had to spec from the factory or you could never have them.

Audi currently charge €2325 for matrix lights function in Ireland.

And before you say anything, no, I don’t get this as I don’t have a car with them so I have no skin in the game.

I’ve used Soft99 on mine over the years.
    Also used GTechniq system, the polish and then the coating.

Both as good as each other IMO but the Soft99 was a lot easier to apply and work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What would you recommend on cleaning the interior of the highland ?

Depends on what level you want to go to.
    But all of my cars get the following when doing the inside :

1. General Hoover, mats out etc.

2. Wipe down with dry micro fibre cloth to get rid of any loose dirty, debris from the dash etc

3. P&S Express Interior Detailer spray on the seats and agitate with an interior brush. Wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.

4. I do the dash and interior plastics with various different products depending on what I have at that time. The above P&S can be used on plastics, leather, screams etc.

The seats can be interchanged with Koch Chemie Pol Star diluted down or something from the Labocosmetica range or Soft99 Wash Mist which can also be used everywhere inside except the leather.

Every few months then I would put a coat of GTexhniq L1 on the seats. Purely because of how easy it is to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭User1998

Correct me it I’m wrong, but what legacy car can you buy for €40k that comes with Matrix LED headlights as standard? Weren’t they like a €7,000 option a few years ago on luxury cars like Audi A8 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭yermanthere

Toyota bz4x has led matrix headlights. AFAIK. Same price as model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Some early ID4 models had them in certain specs at a reasonable price but that was about it.

I think it's great anyway. Certainly a bonus for my father when it was one feature he was initially losing when switching from ID4 to MY and now will be standard. Just makes the car even better value when comparing like for like specs with other brands.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that others don’t have it now. It’s that they don’t come standard on the car when the original buyer bought it. All new cars should have them nowadays.

Toyota also have a 10 year warranty if you service it yearly with them. That should be the minimum standards too.

No but people are championing Tesla for adding a feature that has been avaiabilble for years in "legacy" manufacturers - and yes if only specced as an option but they worked.

The is no innovation here.

Congragulate on the basis of enabling a feature OTA that the hardware has been capable of since leaving the factory, there is no need for a comparison to"Legacy" manufacturers.

Let the feature and its roll out stand on its own.

Tesla are innovative in certain areas but they are definitely not in light technology. When I picked up my Model Y a year ago, I knew it had "Matrix" headlights but they didnt have the software to run them. The only reason that Tesla didnt allocate the resources to developing the software for the units is because they are not allowed in the US currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭AUDI20

Matrix LED Lights are standard on the A6 SLine since the new model came out late '18

I also had Matrix headlights as standard on my 2018 Toureg.

I’d expect them on the SLine to be honest. The lower models were extra. You could also pay extra to upgrade to the HD Matrix on the SLine I believe.

I have the BMW laser on my 530e so can see the benefit of them if driving a lot.

Here’s the current Audi speal - https://www.audi.ie/ie/web/en/models/functions-on-demand-2023/matrix-led-package.html

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭AUDI20

The use of Matrix LED technology via Functions on Demand is possible in the following vehicles:
    /Audi e-tron Q8/Audi e-tron (from MY 2020) or an Audi e-tron GT (from MY 2022)

Thats one of the reasons I changed from Audi everything I wanted came as standard on the Seal. I priced the same sped on a A6 and was looking at €100,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

A6 S line is €6k markup on the SE basic model. Matrix LED’s with high beam assist are almost €1700 on the SE model.

I believe nobody said that it was innovative to have matrix lights, that have been around on some expensive vehicles since 2010's. But nevertheless it's, in my opinion, a very nice perk for the owner to have new features that were not a thing on that brand when the car was sold years earlier added in a car over the air without additional cost. In case of my car, a Model 3, the matrix lights suddenly appeared on a model that had already been superceded by the next version of the car.

I can't think of any other car makes doing this sort of thing for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

Bought the Tesla Y in Feb 27 and had a delivery range of Mar- Apr. Rang Tesla this morning to be sure nothing outstanding from my point of view and was told more cars were arriving next month and hopefully it should be part of that batch. Clarified this to be May. I said my range was Mar-Apr but her system showing Apr-May and my app still showing Mar-Apr.

Is it usual to move the date by a month and is more than 2 months normal for a Model Y delivery? The reason for concern is that I am renting a car at the moment and do not want to be in a position to have to do this medium term. There’s nothing I can do about it as far as expediting, but wonder if anybody else had similar delivery delays.

Yes, especially at the moment with the ships having to travel the long way here due to piracy around the canal.

It’s evident in other sectors too with clothing giants running out of certain clothing items. For example, believe it or not, underwear is at a low stock level at the moment.

Buying an EU car would be quicker obviously but then only you can make that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

I see on Tesla's website they have pre-configured Model Ys for 0% finance again - however it still says delivery by 31st March, which obviously doesn't make sense. Anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement

Advertisement