Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options
1179180181182183185»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Amazon have had the release date for months on their site!

According to Kondo (the head honcho of Falcom) he does say that when the third game in this Calvard arc is released, the overall series is over 80% done.

I reckon there are 5-6 games left for us in the West while Japan will have 2-3 games to go.

Post edited by Doodah7 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is getting worse than the Yakuza series for me!

I was hoping to get through one a year but there's just so much to play!

I'm torn between getting the Switch or PS5 version of the new game. I have all of the available Trails games on Switch as I value the portability. However I'm not sure yet if the new engine will perform well on the aging Nintendo hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would give anything to play XI from scratch again, such a wholesome adventure. Are you doing the postgame or moving on after credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Looks like The Answer is out in September for Persona 3 Reload and the full expansion pass will be available next week on Game Pass Ultimate as a member perk. This member perk will give you a redeem code for the expansion as such you will keep it if your subscription lapses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Playing chrono trigger for the first time on steam deck. Snes version. About 6 hours in and am really engaged in it now. Amazing how immersive the best games of the 16bit era still are. Hopefully this kicks off a bit of a run of great jrpg games for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I remember playing it for the first time a few years ago after hearing all the hype, and thinking as I started that it couldn't be as good as people say, but it truly earned it's reputation, cracking little game, and the first playthrough is always amazing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Decided to take a punt on unicorn overlord, fantastic game so far, very pretty to look at.

Finished The Outer Worlds earlier. Probably the most underwhelming end to a RPG I’ve ever experienced. Literally got to the end and such was my surprise that I said ‘Is that it?’.

For the most part it was quite entertaining, some of the humour in the writing was particularly good but it did drag at times, especially the DLC.

Grandia HD getting ports on PS4 and Xbox One, only a few years late.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder if they ever fixed the textures that they managed to completely **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

Very interested in it . I've demo downloaded to try but I'm currently half way through rebirth ..

You can now claim the Persona 3 Reload Expansion Pass from the Game Pass section of the Xbox PC app or from the Xbox console. This will be available until the end of January 2025.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Just finished the demo. It is a very good game although the Battle Stages take on nearly a puzzle element in how to crack the nut of beating it within the time allowed. One to buy in physical cart form I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Etrian Odyssey Collection down to €31 on CD Keys. Release price of 80 was pretty outrageous. Wonder how they translate to Steam Deck. I enjoyed the option of second screen and stylus on 3DS for mapping.

In fairness it was a lot of game for 80 but 60 made for sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked the collection up, lot of game 30 quid for sure. About 3 hrs into the first game. Mapping works pretty well. Have auto mapping for floors and do walls and points of interest with the controls on Steam Deck. Id say MnK would be handier again.

Absolutely adore the games. I've finished 1 and 2 but hoping to make an attempt at 3 soon.

Have gone back in time and have been playing FFX HD Remastered on Switch. I had played it before but it is a stone cold classic. It holds up so well twenty years later which is down to the story, the characters and the battle system.

My two wishes would be a turbo mode and to be able to skip cutscenes but other than that, it remains a brilliant game.

Actually find FFX to be one of the weakest FF games. Loved it on release but it was the first decent jrpg on the PS2 and looked incredible. In retrospect the dungeon design and the slow battle system kill the game. The battle system does come into it's own with the boss battles but outside of that it's an absolute chore.

One other thing I noticed playing it again is how clearly unfinished the game is. The pace of the story is all over the place and rather poor with massive location skips to keep it flowing. There's also the end game which is terrible. Most RPGs test your understanding of the battle system to get the big rewards, FFX on the other hand has you do awful minigames.

The soundtrack on the other hand is absolutely slaps

• Advertisement

Wrong, it has you do awful minigames and repetitive battles against Tonberrys to farm xp and spheres to overlevel before you can even attempt the superbosses.

Stop. I even did all that for my hd remaster attempt.

Kind of crazy how bad the hd remaster looks compared to the PS2 version. PS2 games just don't transfer gracefully to modern locked in graphics API pipelines. But I also read that Alexander o Smith had a woeful time with the localisation because of how rigid the animation coding was.

Someone has gotten Doom running in Persona 5 Royal on pc including some total conversions like Chex Quest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The thing I hated about FFX was the dark aoens. I just want to play some damn blitzball but I couldn't travel around and do shít because the dark aoens would absolutely wreck me. I wouldn't mind fighting them when I was strong enough but there didn't seem to be any way to skip them. You go to an area and they attack you and fúck you up. It was very frustrating.

Yeah they totally killed backtracking in the PAL release. They feel like they were added with no regard given to how badly they upset the balance of the end game and it's very easy to be totally locked out of areas until you are way overpowered for them by dark aeons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Even the main story has a stupid massive difficulty ramp on Mt Gagazet where the random encounters have 15 different status alterations per battle which you can't possibly plan for. And don't get me started on Seymour Flux.

Oh that got me the first time I played. It will happen if you mainline the story. On fairness it made me really take advantage of the battle system but the random battles were so annoying and the final boss was impossible until I levelled up.

I think at that point the game expects you to stop and do some side quests but if you do you end up grossly over levelled and the rest of the game is a full cake walk.

Advertisement