Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I was there yesterday and last week and the week before and paid 2.40E each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

You can get your ticket validated if you spend €10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

When shopping in Dunnes Stores for the City Square carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

In the Glen Aldi, although i'm not sure if they stiil do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Nice to see so much activity going on the in the Old Waterford Glass on the Cork Road. Quite stark to see how much demolition was done to the oldest part of the showrooms.

Also good to see Garvey's, the off-licence and adjacent bungalow house (which was left empty for years) have been demolished with new 1 and 2 bed appartments going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.wlrfm.com/news/planning-granted-for-582-bed-student-accommodation-in-waterford-358478

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Muttley79

This would be a great addition to Waterford with student accommodation and hopefully the start of some positive knock on effects from it.

Does anybody know what the story is with the yellow house pub on the cork Rd besides from the rats making it their home the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wrong location unfortunately, as it ll cause a lot of problems for the locals, the old crystal sports ground is a far better site, but the accommodation is desperately needed, i feel for the locals, but shur thats it, hopefully it wont cause too many problems….

it is good to see more accommodation in general coming on stream though, its been badly needed for a very long time now

That is a very guarded assertion. Its near the college, on a brownfield/reclaimed site. There are comparable student villages on Inner Ring Road and in Manor Village. There has never been any negative publicity from either. If you cant have student accommodation on an empty site near the college, to help with urban density, where can you have it?

The last time you posted on this subject, the feeling became evident that you lived in that area, or had connections with it. For all your constant talk about economics, you want to push people further out from the centre of the city to the Crystal Sports grounds. Away from you?

NIMBY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no, its a very common opinion for some of the locals, and sure ive come around to the opinion to, fcuk'em!

…just as long as the building goes up, fcuk'em….

..are you serious, the old crystal sports ground is too far away, are you serious!

..again, most students now drive, i.e. the difference of a minute or two to the college, if even!

…once again, the area has a history of anti-social behavior from students, i.e. theres now simply too many in the area, solution, spread them out….

…the sports ground is much bigger, so more accommodation can fit in their, with far better facilities, and with a sports facility on site, what more would be needed…

far more noise absorption could also be implemented onto the site, vegetation etc, theres less space on the site thats gonna be built

…anyhow, its done and dusted, as was always gonna be, so yea, id have to agree, fcuk the locals….

If you felt that strongly about it, you could have objected to it.

And dont suggest please that I dismiss resident's concerns.

Your NIMBYism shines through.

By way of edit, the point is moot. Permission granted. Lets leave it be.

Post edited by azimuth17 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭914

But the crystal site (sports grounds) is up for sale so it's not like Frisby is just gonna say "you know what, I own the land here adjacent to the factory, but it might not be the right location so I'll spend a couple of million on another site, spend another year or two with planning and then leave the current site that I own sitting idle".

A private developer owns a site, puts in for planning for what they see fit you can not move said developer to another location.

Had the college been made a stand alone Uni they would have been in a position to borrow and could have developed student accommodation on site (crystal factory site) or even been in a position to also purchase crustal sports grounds and construct student accommodation, instead SETU can not borrow so it is reliant on the private sector to build develop such accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

a lot of contributors make some crazy statements alright, they seem to think doing a large scale development such as a 587 student accommodation campus is just like buying a car from a dealer

Advertisement