Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I'm sorry but what a stupid post. I'm a senstive soul? I gave my opinion, people didn't like it, so rather than waste time trying to change people's minds to my opinion (note I said opinion, not facts), I bowed out. I think you are the sensitive soul here. I need to tread softly on people's homes? So Waterford is immune to criticism, constructive or otherwise? I think you're a bit delusional saying that you tried to offer a coherent response and I didn't want it. On top of barely replying to me, I never once disgareed with you, just had a conversation. As we do on messaging boards

So the Irish Arts Review are allowed to write positive opiniosn (which I also did), but I'm not allowed to have negative opionions? Noted. If this is the attitude everyone has in Waterford, the city will never thrive. Best of luck.

You can criticise Cork all day every day for all I care. I visited Waterford for the first time, thought I would give my opinion on it as an outsider (as I like to know people's opinions on Cork). If you can't handle people's opinions on a messaging board, you might need to reconsider your membership on here. As for your list of things to do

Cinema - why would I go to another city to go to the cinema?

Theatre - fair enough

Museums - I did them all, they're tiny and doable in two hours or less. This is an Irish (outside Dublin) problem, not a Waterford problem

Pubs - Not unique in an Irish context as a domestic tourist, what would appeal me to visit another city for a pub? Also, I don't drink

Historic walls - A wall?

Reginalds tower - Did it in 10 minutes

Greenway - A footpath? That isn't an attraction, or unique to Ireland. Extremely important for the south east and the city, but not a tourist attraction

Mountains - not in the city

Beaches - not in the city

Dunmore East - not in the city I believe

What does anyone achieve by posting their opinions on messaging boards? They're here to share our opinions. I visited the city for the first time and decided to share. If you're not interested, scroll on. Just because you don't want to do the same doesn't mean I shouldn't. I love reading reviews about Cork, from international and domestic tourists alike. I love showing people around and showing them the good and the bad. As for the car park. Great, the locals are against it, what does that change? It's still there. It's a comment I made agreeing with those against it. As for your comment on Cork, you are absoltuely correct and I hope that all happens, and if you have any other issues with Cork and ideas on how to improve them, I would love to hear them. And I'm being genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I knew you would be back.

Not sure if calling someone's post "stupid" complies with page rules but I'll forgive you as you're a langer?

I'm sorry for following a conversation about me? If the only thing you got from my post is that calling posts stupid might breach the rules, then I'm not going to engage with you anymore. As for calling me a langer.. I'm not sure what the point of that was, but I hope it satisfied whatever need you have to try insult me because I had the audacity to give my opinion on a city I visited.

The point is that if someone called me a blaa I would not mind. Its a description of origin and as for Langer, I worked in Cork city for a good while and lived on the North side and no one seemed to mind the usage. You're a sensitive soul as I said.

I couldn't care less that you called me a langer. You are a stranger on the internet, your opinion means nothing to me (like mine shouldn't to you). Anyway, I'm done with you. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your kind words. I knew you would understand. We pass like ships in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Bards

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

While only a short experience I'm grateful that the museums offer some very unique historical artefacts. Not for everyone, I know, but it's a proud collection. I would never recommend a visitor see the cinema (by the way did you see the the Omniplex?) That's really odd. The greenway is an attraction.

I know that together, the Walls and Towers have potential for photo opportunities and an interesting tour experience. The council has never had a vision to lay the groundwork for such a thing, or if they did the budget simply couldn't stretch for it. The city lacks in fun and miscellaneous experiences. I'd love to see a museum of Illusions or a quirky out of the box building, even if its a dumb pastiche windmill with functional mill on the river, where you can pay to grind your corn. Arundel Square is harsh looking. It feels bare and deserted, the architecture lousy and incongruous. There's so much void. Empty spaces without anything or anyone to fill them.

There's a total disconnect between Broad street and the museums. There's a void there. It could be a dense area of bars and restaurants all along High street and down Exchange (instead of a carpark) and Keyser. The shopping experience is dismal, it's not because of unit sizes, it's because we have no pull.

What you experienced is all the city has to offer. Did you see the municipal art gallery? We have two Yeats paintings and a Paul Henry, I digress. I think what we have is good, and for people into that sort of thing Waterford is a fascinating destination. The crystal people, the art people and the history people. The local community is not as bitter as some on here. They are a wonderful and creative people. Waterford is the kind of place to visit at a certain time. When I recommend people to visit is for Spraoi. Our citys own Mardi Gras, a celebration of nothing and everything, as sacred as the Blaa I'd like to believe.

Thanks for writing about your experience. Cork is lovely.

Post edited by new92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

The Greenway is a bit more than a footpath,why isn’t it a tourist attraction?

NEW 92 makes a salient point

"There's a total disconnect between Broad street and the museums. There's a void there. It could be a dense area of bars and restaurants all along High street and down Exchange (instead of a carpark) and Keyser. The shopping experience is dismal, it's not because of unit sizes, it's because we have no pull."

What kind of pull are you talking about?

• Advertisement

I didn’t say you did. I was responding to this. “100%, and I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and someone posted a negative commentary from the OPs homestead it would not be taken as constructive criticism either... Do onto others as how you would like to be treated and the world would be a better place”

Why would it be a tourist attraction for Irish tourists? The country has many greenways. To me it’s like saying the N20 is a tourist attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I'd say the Greenway section between Dungarvan and Kilmacthomas is a very nice section. The section around Waterford itself is nothing special though, albeit it's great to have it available.

Greenway section between Carriganore and Kilmeaden along by Mount Congreve and the River Suir is ry beautful . I use it reguarly an dot attracts many locals and tourists.

I had no dounbt that ypu would be back. Comparing the Waterford Greenway to the N20 . even in the kind of circular way you have done it, is gratuitously insulting. Are you being deiberate? Why should anyone in Waterford have to justify anything to you, which is what your object seems to be? The Greenway has been a huge success on any level I still think you are stirring.

You remind me of a previous poster whose name eludes me.

From Bilberry to Carriganore is not great ,but as azimuth17 says the section from Carriganore to Kilmeadan is beautiful.

Yeah sounds like a previous poster from Waterford who used to be on here,no point even replying to them anymore it’s obvious now what they are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭914

Fair enough, we are just different folks.

As for what can locals do about the car parks on the Quays, feck all really. We can harp on about it to our political representatives and that is about it.

Unfortunately the land is all privately owned, thankfully with the recent investment in the North Quays and sustainable transport bridge, a large number of these car parking spaces are being removed, you might have noticed the white barrier all near the clock tower, a new plaza it going to be developed there.

Yes the town can be very quiet at night and the council have some what began to address this by running summer in the city.

This is where a number of musical acts perform at various locations around the city, really enjoyable once the sun shines.

Had you have came to Waterford a week or two prior you might have had the chance to experience this.

A lot of our problems can steam from very poor political decisions (denying WIT of University status etc) and Waterford's dependency on the manufacturing industry over the years.

It was only since the closing of the crystal that we realised we needed to sell ourselves and this is when the focus began to shift on tourism and thankfully year on year we see an increase in tourist numbers.

I think to say the Greenway is only a path is a bit silly. Some of the views along the Greenway are fantastic which also allows you to access mount Congreve gardens or take a trip on the suir valley Railway.

I for one would like to see you put both your positive and negative opinions in and email send it directly to Waterford Council or some councillor as it would strengthen Waterford's cause to keep improving on such matters.

PS I think this thread should get back to the topic on hand for Waterford developments, maybe begin a new thread called Waterford reviews or something.

I completely understand about the car park. My post wasn’t a dig at Waterford people, it was just purely observations. And my N20 comment was out of hand, so I’m sorry for that. I used to use the one from Blackrock to Rochestown in Cork City for work, and while it’s beautiful, to me it was just functional, like a road. But not all greenways are the same, so sorry

I would be more than happy to put my opinions into an email to councillors. I doubt it’ll make any difference, but I’ll share any replies

I think the negatives of my post got focused on too much and I ran with them after, but I want to re-emphasise the positives. Waterford City Centre is SPOTLESS. It was like a movie set it was so pristine. It was so walkable and people friendly. Very well designed. The area around Viking Triangle especially. The large chess set is genius. The Waterford Walls are genius. As I said, they drag you out of the main city centre and bring you onto streets you’d never think to go on. Plus my boyfriend is a huge graffiti/public art fan, so we spent ages trying to find them and get photos. While they’re not really my thing, there is no denying some of them are incredible. Once the main road is taken off the river, or at least the car park, the riverside will possibly one of the best in Ireland. The river is HUGE. Kinsale in Cork is similar. Big car parks all around the river/seaside. Such a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

did you by any chance get a warning from moderators about using the ‘L’ word……I once received a week ban I think for using it on another forum …😡

No.The context it was used in, is self explanatory and harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I think to shut down someone's argument or opinion just takes away someone's right or freedom of speech, that sounds very dramatic but don't forget people leave their county and travel to experience different things and see different things and if they have an opinion on something they see they should be allowed to express that in an attempt to say how things could be better you only make things better by flagging these things, I am a critic of things in Waterford its not because I just want to sit back and say its sh't far from it, its just an attempt to say how it could be better.

I think if you've lived in Waterford all you life you have a more insular view and the responses seem to be just hurt feelings or a defensive thing its an observation made by people who see things with different eyes.

If you go to a Hotel or a resort and you don't like it or it doesn't live up to the hype you make your own judgement and decide not to go there again and you have your reasons, some of which you may express on Tripadvisor or the like and some you may express and a forum like this, that said it doesn't mean people will like what they hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Strange bloody post. People in Waterford have raised here and elsewhere the issue of city centre shopping not being up to the standard you’d expect for somewhere with Waterford’s population. Also, they frequently raise dissatisfaction with the Quay’s being a carpark. Plus, access issues to the city centre. So how you can talk about an insular view is beyond me.

Also, if someone is going to write a review type post on a thread about Waterford developments and say things like all the restaurants were booked out but the city was dead! They can only expect a what the hell are you on about response. It is not shutting anyone's argument or opinion down, its they are making no sense or are trolling.

The argument can just as equally be made to Waterford people like you in that you are too quick to find faults and say Waterford has particular issues. Only seeing the problem’s that in reality are just issues you would get anywhere.

Post edited by BBM77 on

no im not only seeing the problems, i will say the point of a chat room is to express opinions, argue for and against etc, but some of the responses just seem to be defensive for the sake of being defensive, its good to see or hear other peoples opinions, but on the positive i do think Waterford in the last few years is a very very clean city and county, i do think some of the pavements in the city could do with a decent power wash but thats nit picking. next time i post a negative i will make sure i post a positive with that point. then again i might just not bother and chime in now and then when people are saying how great the place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Valhalla90

Can we get back on topic! Any news on developments? Anything?

I had an appointment in Primary Health Care building on John's Hill this morning. Major refurbishment of old St Otteran's buildings underway by Nevin Contractors. Great to see beautiful old buildings being brought back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭gw80

Anyone know what's happening with the Waterford retail park out butlerstown way, weren't decathlon supposed to be opening up there,I see posters up for the extension but still nothing happening,

Is it objections?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Valhalla90

As far as I know the developers were appealing some of the restrictions that were listed on what decathlon could sell from the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

They also reapplied for the medical centre part of that was turned down the last time.

I saw that myself and its great to see such a beautiful building getting saved.

i know the group that owns/trades as lisduggan shopping centre put in objections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement