Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No Im saying they're all bog standard but have headlined. So why not her.

It helps that shes a black woman. Only the 2nd ever solo black female to headline.

If you don't know who SZA is, that's a you problem.

If you don't like her music, that's one thing and perfectly fine.

Saying she's not a massive star or a massive draw is just pig ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Because she has no hit songs and is basically unknown outside of her fanbase. Basically all of those acts you mentioned had hit songs and were far more well known in the UK at the time of their booking.

Not that you’ll take that into account because you think her being black is more important

Her last album was #2 in the UK. Wouldnt be surprised to see her new one at #1.

Metallica played to a small crowd. No one really knew anything apart from Enter Sandman.

Anyway, shes talking this up herself. The festival are very aware of this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Trust me, you'll be pleased there's not much on the pyramid that you want to see, it's the worst stage at the festival 😉

You'll have an absolute blast. I'd be as underwhelmed as you with that lineup, but I'm still insanely jealous of anyone going, it's the best place on earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Shed Seven's last album was #1 in the UK, maybe they couldn't make it though 😋

The Lathums, The Snuts and Inhaler (Irelands very own) all had UK number 1 albums in 2021

Too expensive!

Just dont think Sza will be the disaster people are predicting. She has a big industry push behind her. That said, from the songs Ive heard - not "stadium" sized music really. A lot of slower R&B type stuff.

Anyway, Coldplay again should be the real story this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Lets face it, Coldplay are gonna blow the roof off the place, amazing live band and their gigs are always a spectacle. Made for the Pyramid stage. I'll be tuning in for that, for sure.

LCD on the Pyramid will be another belter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Her stuff is cerebral and progressive R&B. Really heady slow burn stuff. People are going to leave in **droves**.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Wooderson

They'll hand out a load of plasticky tat to keep the rubes happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Not going and no Fomo after seeing that lineup. There is so much more going over the weekend that the Pyramid will be a side note for most people.

Even on this underwhelming poster there's a good lot to see.

Fontaines DC

Coldplay

Idles

PJ Harvey

Micheal kiwanuka

The Breeders

Yard act

Sleaford Mods

London Grammat

Mary Wallopers

Lankum

Brittany Howard.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭crl84

She's a massive star with people who generally don't go to Glastonbury. She won't be a massive draw at Glastonbury, unless the demographic of the festival is inexplicably completely different this year than the last 5 years (let alone the entire history of the festival)....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

LCD Soundsystem, Idles, Disclosure, Bombay Bicycle Club, Bloc Party, Confidence Man, Jungle, Justice, Squid, Jamie XX, James Blake, Romy, Yard Act, Fontaines DC, Peggy Gou, London Grammar, Orbital, The Mary Wallopers, Honey Dijon, Skream & Benga, Bonobo.

They are all the things I would see on that poster, some I'm more excited about than others but that's nearly enough to keep me going without any more announcements so I suppose I'm happy enough, it's just a shame there's no whoppers like Elton John or Paul McCartney like usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah hope I didn't come across too negative. I'm happy with it. There are probably 30 acts there I'd consider going to and that's before we get onto the DJs still to come which would really be my forte at most festivals.

I see someone has thrown together a clashfinder of the names - obviously a lot of speculation on days and times I'm assuming? Or how do people seem to have a decent stab of it so far out?

Looking at tour dates and their place on the poster. EG last year the first 3 names were Arctics, GnR and Elton and they played Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Tour dates will rule out certain days etc. Its usually fairly accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭crl84

First 3 names for each stage are generally always Fri-Sat-Sun.

Sometimes continues on in the same fashion with who's playing under them each day, but wouldn't count on it completely. There'll be a few more acts added to each stage when the final lineup is out in May/June, along with 70+ other stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'll admit, the HEADLINE acts are a bit underwhelming. I know it sounds like a trite cliche but, as has been said, there is more to Glasto than The Pyramid. I have been there at times and didn't see ANY Pyramid or Other Stage headliners. We went to see the Bootleg Beatles in The Acoustic stage (One of my favourites) at the same time as the real Rolling Stones were playing The Pyramid. The Park, West Holts, Woodsies (Previously John Peel) are all still big areas (Was at JP when The Killers played their "secret" gig a few years ago. Played a blinder).

Have seen Coldplay there 2 times so will be giving The Pyramid a miss. I would recommend being well in the crowd for them if you are going though. Saw The National play before Foos, (And was in the pit for Churnups. They put more energy into that 1 hour set than their headline). Assuming The National will headline Other. Maybe Friday?

Half of the fun is always the surprises. Went to see a band in West Holts a couple of years ago. Can't remember who. But after, then on came this Brass band playing 90s bangers like RATM and Tool. Hopefully they'll play again. Aine Cahil in Bread & Roses bar with maybe only 5 other people. Rick Astley singing The Smiths. Standing beside Jason Momoa for about 30 mins unknowingly at JP: Looking at his pile of empties building, thinking "F*ck me, he's getting them in. He's a big bugger.... Holy Crap. Anyway.". Then back to watching the stage. Nobody gawking or pointing.

As for SZA headlining? Well, I'm assuming she was a last minute replacement for Madonna as Emily Eavis really pitched hard that she was gonna have 2 female headliners. And last year Lizzo should have headlined instead of GnR given the crowd. She had a HUGE crowd. They are damned if they try to expand to different acts and damned if they don't. Remember that gobsh1te a few years ago (Who had never been before) saying that Glasto had no place for Jay-Z...... JAY-Z!!!!!!!

Weather permitting, you will have a ball. You WILL be knackered. You WILL try to cram in more than is possible (2 acts on at same time? You will NOT get "20 mins of this and last 20 mins of that"). Immediately after you WILL be glad you went but will say "That's it. Done".... and 6 months later you WILL be trying for tickets again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Orbital at Glastonbury is a dream pairing in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Plus 1 on this.

The best thing I saw at Glastonbury was on the other stage. It was Portishead. All my friends were over watching Mumford and sons or arctic monkeys. Incredible.

Then the following year seeing the egg at 3 am on the dying hours of Sunday (highly recommended if they're on the bill anywhere)

Damon albarn showing up on west Holt's with bobby womack.

Drinking cider in the healing fields and just chatting away to some lad who had family from near me.

Rocked up to rolling stones on my own and bumped into 2 friends.

Just go with the flow at it

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

SZA is great choice for headliner I think, it's good they've took a chance on an act who's currently having a moment rather than 2 or 3 years after the fact like they've done previous. I'm going to make a bold prediction and say Coldplay will draw a smaller crowd than the last time they played. I think people are getting a little bit tired of them and they're essentially going be playing the exact same set as the last 2 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, saw them years ago and they were excellent. Was at The Chemical Brothers a few years ago headlining Other. Was towards the back as I just wanted to chill. This woman's phone behind me rang. She was talking away. No bother. Not annoying anyone. Then obviously the preson on the call puts their kid on. The woman talks for a min or so and then says "Sorry honey, Granny's gotta go. She's at The Chemical Brothers at Glastonbury". I turned around (She was only about 50 or so) and said "I didn't mean to eavesdrop but 'Granny's gotta go, she's at Chemical Brothers at Glastonbury'? That was an AWESOME way to finish a call"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Did she have long red hair? Could very easily be a friend of mine!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Ditto. I know 100% it's "not about the music", but anyone on this year's lineup I've real interest in seeing I already have tix for and either can walk to the venue from home or get the DART! And also seems to be a good number of acts overlapping with Beyond The Pale which is great.

Surprised SZA as headliner but no Raye who's having a massive moment and UK focused?? SZA is no Beyonce, she's a snoozefest, generic R&B/rap you hear in H&M and Zara.

Stevie should have been booked for the legends slot followed by Shania headlining on the Sunday.

Post edited by Mrs Shuttleworth on

Stevie Nicks (or are you referring to Wonder?) would’ve done well on the Sunday as a headliner, some classic Fleetwood Mac songs along with her own tunes would’ve been really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Probably same reason why fleetwood mac didn’t play for 50th anniversary, the fee offered to Stevie was too low for her to accept. media reported that fee was reason fleetwood turned it down

The Mac turned down the festival a load of times apparenty. They very nearly played in 2013 and said then they hoped they could play in 2014.

Really stupid move considering the record sales bump they'd get after it. Rumours flying off the vinyl shelves.

Too late now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Man, Im getting old ... there's pretty much nobody I want to see on the TV coverage that weekend. Heilung (out of curiosity) Steel Pulse (probably won't get shown), Sleaford Mods & Orbital 😕

• Advertisement

The issue really is the repeat performers. Coldplay, Simz, Janelle Monae, Paul Heaton, Idles, Disclosure, Two Door Cinema, Bombay Bicycle, Sleafords, Jamie XX, James Blake, Fontaines, London Grammar. All headliners/high on the bill and all play every other year. Some of them every year.

Festivals are fucked at the moment.

Anyway Im not too pushed about the lineup. Havent been for years. EOTR is the one for new and funky acts. Ill pick off the acts I want to see at Glasto and spend the rest mooching about chatting to weirdos and drinking.

Advertisement